Fitbit

Options
hi I have just started using this app and seen few comments about the Fitbit. Before I go out to buy one would like to know if they are any Gd? Have they helped anyone to lose weight? Don't want too waste money

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Buy one at a store near you, keep the receipt, and return it if you don't like it.

I lost the weight and have kept it off for more than a year thanks to Fitbit + MFP.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I started my journey 5 months ago, and have lost 50 lbs before I got my fitbit charge hr. I wanted to make sure I was in this for the long haul. I am so happy with my fitbit, love the challenges with my all my fitbit friends, helps me stay motivated.
  • Damien_Scott
    Damien_Scott Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I looked at the fitbit things, they looked pretty pointless. You don't need some $100 gimmick to lose weight. Keeping track of everything you eat and staying at a calorie deficit is enough. I haven't done any exercise and I've lost 23 lbs in a bit over 3 weeks.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I looked at the fitbit things, they looked pretty pointless. You don't need some $100 gimmick to lose weight. Keeping track of everything you eat and staying at a calorie deficit is enough. I haven't done any exercise and I've lost 23 lbs in a bit over 3 weeks.

I know a few people who own fitbit's and use them as a guide to their overall health. Since you can do more things with it than just monitor your caloric needs. I agree with you, though. People don't need devices like a Fitbit to lose weight.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Check out thy fitbit group here on MFP. Lots of us use them and have found them very useful. They are a tool to help you be accountable for moving.
  • Gozergirl
    Gozergirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think my husband is getting me a Flex for my birthday. i am doing pretty good with calorie counting, but i need motivation to exercise.
  • xxx_Elle_xxx
    xxx_Elle_xxx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit made me realise I have to exercise every day - otherwise I am burning hardly any calories! I love mine and I have not brought a new watch for years so that justified the price for me.
    When I work out I can monitor my heart rate also. A Fitbit on its own won't help you lose weight -'sticking to a regular routine is key. Good Luck!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    As I have a FitBit in my wrist now and have since May-ish I think I can chime in here.

It's not pointless, despite what others might like to say. Actually it's one of the best $100 I've ever spent when it comes to my health.

It gives me an overall view of my day, my caloric burn, and my sleep habits. All from a tiny little thing on my wrist smaller than any watch I've ever owned. The challenges are fun, but I've realized I'm not as competitive as I would like to think I am. Having the data of how much I'm expending each day without having to have my phone on me every second is amazing (and as I'm in a teaching position in an elementary school having my phone on me 100% of the time is just not feasible). My exercise is not consistent and the positive adjustments when I exceed my goals here on MFP are great to keep me from under eating.

The only negative thus far I can see is that the band worn non-stop for 3 months with wear out and you will have to buy another. If you get a few spare bands and rotate them then you should be fine. I'm having to wear the large band as tight as it goes until I can order more small bands on payday. I also wonder if maybe I should have STFU'd and spent the extra money on the FitBit Charge HR instead of the Flex (no band issues then, which would have offset the cost of buying new bands for the Flex). Oh well.
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    No, you don't need a fitbit but personally, I love mine. I find myself going for extra walks or longer walks during the day because of it. It is also a good reminder that I'm working towards a specific goal. I like the extra motivation and challenges to keep me on my toes.

Buy one, keep the receipt and if you don't like it, take it back.
    Their customer service is pretty good, I have a problem with my charger cable and within 5 minutes of writing them, they told me that a new one was on the way.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

It may be gimmicky to you, but it's helped myself and others become motivated to lose and move more. I know exactly what I burn each day (I don't exercise much, but I have a fairly active job), which tells me exactly how much I can eat.
  • louisesiobhan
    louisesiobhan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone think I may have to invest in one