Snack ideas??

Options
Vixxie75
Vixxie75 Posts: 51 Member
I need some ideas for snacks. I've been told not to eat dried fruit or nuts and to keep my fruit intake down.

To me that leaves raw vegetables and I can't stand them! I know it sounds like I'm being picky! It's just trying to stick to the rules my doctor has given me has left me stumped.

Thanks

Replies

• BeginnersBootcamp
    BeginnersBootcamp Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes, jerkey, fry an egg, cereal, sugar free jello
  • Vixxie75
    Options
    Thanks, I'll get shopping!
  • kevinindelaware
    kevinindelaware Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Look for organic raw protein bars. They seem to be perfect for between meals.
  • mlbquinn1
    mlbquinn1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Celery with peanut butter
  • maggimagoo
    maggimagoo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Something I recently discovered and really like is Feng Shui Dry Roasted Soy Beans (Edamame). They kinda remind me of pistachio nuts. 1/4 cup is 130 calories. Also Roasted Sunflower Seeds are great, and of course, fruit.
  • mlbquinn1
    mlbquinn1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ooh I might try that
  • maggimagoo
    maggimagoo Posts: 8 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Oops I just re-read your post. Why have you been told not to eat nuts and to keep my fruit intake down? Here I am telling you to eat those things!
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I make my own hummus and have it with vegetable sticks or even apples if you're not into raw veg.
    Lately though I'm all about the smoothies.

Try puree some fruit and then freeze it. Like berries with banana. Its like a sorbet. I love this with a little dark chocolate as a treat.

I love avocado too!

Don't get me wrong, I'm still trying to find a way to cut down on the bad snacks though so interested in the ideas in this thread.

• lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    My favorite new snack is sriracha roasted fava beans....so good!
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    edamame
  • Klkbankert
    Klkbankert Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like popcorn - and you get a ton of it for little calories! That has become my go-to snack.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Google the words, Healty Snack Recipes, and you will be hip deep in recipes, many with videos...
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I like popcorn - and you get a ton of it for little calories! That has become my go-to snack.

I do love popcorn made with coconut oil! Mmmm
  • CarolinePantig
    CarolinePantig Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love any kind of low glycemic fruit (i.e. blueberries, strawberries) and apple with almond butter! :)
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Roasted chickpeas in any seasoning you like. They can be savory or sweet.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    Roasted chickpeas in any seasoning you like. They can be savory or sweet.

I just saw a recipe for those yesterday have been very tempted to try.

My snacks lately have been fruits, I'm getting tired of salads.
  • hollybee
    hollybee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    2 tbs of fat free cottage cheese and mix it with a jello cup! I mix up the jello cup really well where it looks like a snow cone almost and then mix it with the cottage cheeseIt is delish and only about 55 cal and helps if you have a mid afternoon sweet tooth.
  • RMCottonRPh
    RMCottonRPh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt, cottage cheese, string cheese, raw veggies and hummus, protein shakes, hard boiled eggs, dried edamame
  • Vixxie75
    Options
    maggimagoo wrote: »
    Oops I just re-read your post. Why have you been told not to eat nuts and to keep my fruit intake down? Here I am telling you to eat those things!

I was told to lay off fruit due to my sugars being too high but I'm going to ask the consultant about that when i go back as they seem ok on the new meds.

The nuts are because I can't take statins so I have to be careful with my cholesterol. Doesn't help my favourite thing is Peanut butter!! lol!
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Kippers and creme cheese on ritz crackers. Kippers are smoked herring fillets and before you turn up your nose, try 'em. They're really good and good for you.