Turbo Jam Cardio Party 2

Options
Just started doing this once a week (am already doing P90X and saw others doing this workout and getting an awesome burn, and thought I'd give it a whirl). Well, I'm not getting near the burn I notice others obtaining. for the 43min workout, I get 300cals burned (i wear an HRM). I don't find the workout that difficult (I do get my heartrate up to 140s-150s, and work up a good sweat, though), but I get a better burn for the time spent doing Plyo or running. I also get frustrated a bit, b/c I think the Chaleen's cueing is pretty bad.

So, what am I missing or doing wrong?

Replies

• INSANITYxSAMMY
    Options
    I'm not sure I instruct a turbo jam type class at the gym I go to and I wear a HRM and so do the people and my class and avrg burn is 450 - 600 calories it depends on your weight and fitness level, are you modifying any of the exercises ?
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    NOpe, I'm doing what Chaleen (the instructor) is doing. I'm in pretty good shape (on round 2 of P90X, run, etc) and near my goal weight.
  • INSANITYxSAMMY
    Options
    that might be why, I usually burn a lot less then some of the heavier people in my class just because I am more petitie
  • timeformajorchange
    Options
    If you're interested in TJ workouts, I personally don't care much for the Cardio Party ones as much as I do the other ones. Fat Blaster or Punch, Kick, and Jam are my favorites! If you're in good shape and near your goal weight, you won't burn as much. When I first started doing them, I was 40lbs overweight (this was a few years ago when I was last lost weight before gaining it all back) and I'd easily burn 600-800 calories in a 45-60mins workout. The more weight I lost, the lower my burn was until I *THINK* I was somewhere in the 350-400 burn range for the same workout. That's the ONLY problem with losing weight and getting in shape LOL

But not everyone will love Turbo Jam either. Maybe it's just not the right one for you? :)
  • Steph62002
    Steph62002 Posts: 91
    Options
    Ahem...Turbo Fire...=)
    I think you will love that! It's a combo of Turbo Jam with HIIT and Plyo to boot. I will be happy to send you one of my dvd's to try if you want, just let me know!
  • beancurdie
    beancurdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hey Michelle...

I'm with Steph, you would probably like Turbo Fire better. As for the queuing, it's taken me about two weeks to get each video down without having to rely on what they are doing on the screen. When I first started, there were a few times where I was just flailing around and I was very tempted to turn off the damn tv. I haven't started TurboFire yet as I'm still working my way through Turbo Jam as well as doing 30 Day Shred, but I'm assuming you'll have to do the videos at least five-six times before the moves become more intuitive.

Have you compared what your HRM is saying compared to what MFP gives as burn for kickboxing? I' m not using a HRM, but I think MFP is closer to my (perceived) burn compared to what I'm seeing others get from their HRM.
  • amandaatl
    amandaatl Posts: 1
    Options
    I had the same problem, Michelle. I liked it well enough. Even though the cueing is not that great, I felt like a lot of the moves were intuitive or in step with other kickboxing type stuff I've done. But according to my bodymedia band (which should be even more accurate than a HRM), I was at about 340 calories. I'm not even all that close to my goal weight, but I'm used to having my heart rate up for long distances running, I guess. Bummer. I'm scared to spend the money on Turbo Fire though. I still prefer running over anything else, but I can't do it every day.