Half marathon training in a deficit

Do any of you have recommendations for how to eat at a deficit while training for a half marathon? This is my 5th year of half marathon training, but first time tracking calories. I'm not sure how to spread my calories out during the week to ensure I have enough energy for each of my workouts plus recovery.

I run 3 times/week and Crossfit 2-3x/week. My running schedule consists of speed work on Tues, tempo run on Thurs, and long run on Sat. I'm not really worried about my calorie input for most of my training days, mainly my long runs. However, I have run into low calorie sluggishness even on the track in the past. Last year, I would just add a extra serving of rice or potato to my dinner before my long runs but I was clearly overeating during that period since I gained a few lbs during the training season.

I'm 5'1" and 132. Right now MFP has my calories at 1200 losing .5lbs/week set at sedentary and I have a Vivofit2 linked which gives me calories back each day plus I log all of my exercise. I'd like to slowly get down to at least 122 (my training weight from 2 years ago), but possibly even 115.

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    I'm in triathlon training while In a deficit. Best advice I can offer is to keep the deficit reasonable, and push towards the upper end of protein requirements. The harder you're pushing, the more important it is to keep the deficit from being too large. Ratio of fats/carbs is something your body will dictate - just make sure to listen to it. :)

This means you'll need solid numbers for exercise burn, fortunately that's easy to do for running.
  • dinsfamily
    dinsfamily Posts: 84 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I'm in triathlon training while In a deficit. Best advice I can offer is to keep the deficit reasonable, and push towards the upper end of protein requirements. The harder you're pushing, the more important it is to keep the deficit from being too large. Ratio of fats/carbs is something your body will dictate - just make sure to listen to it. :)

This means you'll need solid numbers for exercise burn, fortunately that's easy to do for running.

Thanks. My protein intake is good so I'm on the right track there. I think that too big a deficit has been my problem in the past so I'll make sure I don't repeat that mistake.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Decide what's important. If you want to run it at your best, drop the crossfit for 16 weeks leading up to the race, run 5-6 times a week, and stop the deficit at 12 weeks out (just be flat, you'll still lean out). Don't forget to count gels or gatorade (just use water for an hour or less).
  • dinsfamily
    gdyment wrote: »
    Decide what's important. If you want to run it at your best, drop the crossfit for 16 weeks leading up to the race, run 5-6 times a week, and stop the deficit at 12 weeks out (just be flat, you'll still lean out). Don't forget to count gels or gatorade (just use water for an hour or less).

Actually, Crossfit makes me a lot faster. Last year, I didn't Crossfit at all and really struggled on my long runs compared to the previous 2 years Crossfitting. I've been very successful with this type of training. Also, I have a running coach who programs my training and Crossfit is part of it.

I might stop my deficit 12 weeks out, though. I do think running should be my priority over weight loss because I have a big PR goal this year and a venue to make it happen. My PR race isn't until Jan, so I should be able to drop a few lbs before I hit my 12 week training period. Right now, I'm building my base.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

bolded is really the key part of this.

I wouldn't stop all other training- I'm still lifting while I'm training for my half- I just dropped it to 2x a week. I can't afford to lose all my muscle mass and strength- but I wasn't interested in squatting 2 times a week twice per session before an 8 mile run. that seemed... stupid.

I'm running a very moderate deficit- I upped from 1650- to 1800 for roughly 1000 calories extra across the week to compensate for my running. Seems to be working okay- I'm generally always tired- but more food won't fix that- i feel okay for lifts- and okay for runs- this might go up a little bit I get closer- (run's in October) to make sure I'm prepped for the race and recovered from a long deficit.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    ...I'm still lifting while I'm training for my half...

I thought you were the Queen of NoCardia...?

It's a great goal - have fun!

:drinker:
  • dinsfamily
    JoRocka wrote: »

bolded is really the key part of this.

I wouldn't stop all other training- I'm still lifting while I'm training for my half- I just dropped it to 2x a week. I can't afford to lose all my muscle mass and strength- but I wasn't interested in squatting 2 times a week twice per session before an 8 mile run. that seemed... stupid.

I'm running a very moderate deficit- I upped from 1650- to 1800 for roughly 1000 calories extra across the week to compensate for my running. Seems to be working okay- I'm generally always tired- but more food won't fix that- i feel okay for lifts- and okay for runs- this might go up a little bit I get closer- (run's in October) to make sure I'm prepped for the race and recovered from a long deficit.

I do skip Friday lifting when my mileage gets higher on Sats. I don't think I'll have to do that until my 12-14 week train up starts, though. We'll see hiw ling my runs get before then. I've never struggled with my workout load in the past. I do want to make sure I get enough calories for training/recovery but still lose at the same time. I did lose weight my first 2 seasons, but didn't track calories so I have no idea what I did. I like the idea of going to maintenence or just slightly below as my training progresses so I'm ready to race. Maybe up my calories even more during my taper.

I hear you on being tired. :) I'm also keeping up with 4 boys and no amount of calories can help that kind of exhaustion. I am working on getting more sleep this cycle!