Arthritis

Options
Hi I am looking for any fellow sufferers to help me through my journey. I am newly diagnosed with a lot of weight to lose. I have psoriatic arthritis and am on a lot of meds and haven't exercised during the two years it has taken to diagnose. I am back at the gym on Monday though. Very nervously. I am also very busy as a full time mum and I am a manager in a care home 2 nights a week. So some support would be great x

Replies

• BalkanBlonde
    BalkanBlonde Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have it too! I am nine months postpartum and need to lose weight as well. However, it's very difficult exercise when you're in so much pain. I'm trying to control my symptoms through diet and supplements. I am far from pain-free but I feel that it helps
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi I am looking for any fellow sufferers to help me through my journey. I am newly diagnosed with a lot of weight to lose. I have psoriatic arthritis and am on a lot of meds and haven't exercised during the two years it has taken to diagnose. I am back at the gym on Monday though. Very nervously. I am also very busy as a full time mum and I am a manager in a care home 2 nights a week. So some support would be great x

This will not be a popular suggestion on these main boards here at MFP, but google "paleo auto-immune" -- this is the approach that worked for me. It doesn't necessarily work for everyone, and it can be a bit daunting to start, but it saved me from crippling pain. I was desperate enough to give it a try.

The "Mark's Daily Apple" website was also very helpful, when I was starting out. There are scads of people here who will pooh-pooh the "science" behind the AIP way of eating, but all I can say is that it has worked miracles in my life, and I know for certain it's not the placebo effect, because of the way my body reacts to certain foods, even if I don't know I've eaten them because they were mixed in with something else.

I only did it for the pain relief, but as a side benefit I lost 40 lbs the first year, without hunger or cravings or exercise (my joints were too crippled at first. Now I can manage to walk a mile or two at a time, which is *huge* compared to barely being able to stand up three years ago, and finding no relief in sitting or lying down, just continuing pain).

p.s. (ETA) I am almost completely pain free these days. I do have a little trouble going down stairs -- I did too much damage to my knees before I discovered the effect specific foods have on my joints. Sometimes I will deliberately choose to eat potato salad or hash browns or something with tomatoes in it, knowing it may well cause me three days of stiffness, perhaps pain -- but it's my choice, and I can choose to do that, or not to do that, with full knowledge. Most days I choose not to, because I prefer feeling good. (Vacations can be a little tough, though the pain is always motivating -- I have no trouble getting back in the saddle again.)

Wishing you well in your quest.
  • BalkanBlonde
    BalkanBlonde Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you homesweeths !!! Can I ask what your Bloodtype is? I follow the bloodtype diet and I find it helps. I am an A and according to the diet vegan that eats fish is my ideal diet. This is why I am hesitant to try paleo. Do you know yours?