Help with exercises after a torn meniscus/shredded patella and Support/Motivation

Options
Hello everyone.....

Here I go again....I've managed to gain probably 15-20 pounds back. My clothes are fitting tight again and I refuse to move a size up. It's been a hard year for me mentally and physically. A lot of family health problems involving my Dad and Mamaw, multiple changes at work, and I had surgery on my knee back in May. I had started going back to the YMCA in January and was doing really well...then started limping around at work. Verdict was a did degenerated torn lateral meniscus and shredded patella in my right knee. I was told that this injury was uncommon for a women my age. I've been told that I won't feel 100% for at least a year and from what others have told me even then it will never feel the same. The doctors have told me no squats, lunges, or kneeling and in probably 20 years (which is a long time from now I know) I will probably need a knee replacement. I turn 31 in October and I use to joke that I was going to fall apart at 30....so far it seems to be the reality. I'm paranoid now to exercise with the fear that I may cause more damage...but I wanna try. I also have bad circulation in my legs and ha be multiple varicose veins that make me look like the Hulk. May just start out focusing on my upper body. Doctor said that a bicycle would be good instead of an elliptical, which sucks because I LOVED using the elliptical.

Any support would be greatly appreciated as I need a good kick in the *kitten*. Or any advice for exercise with caution to my condition would be greatly appreciated. Thank you....

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I think what your doctor told you is a great place to start.

I do agree that the exercise bike at the gym is pretty brutal. Have you asked about either a spin class (which is a lot more fun IMHO), or--what about riding outside? Road cycling is SO FAR AWAY and superior to the gym bike, it's almost unbelievable. It's hard to describe how awesome it was the first day I realized I had ridden to a different town and back. Getting to an actual different destination under my own power. A lot of runners with long-term knee problems end up as cyclists, in fact, because it's a pretty darned awesome activity in its own right. :)

Did you ask your doctor about swimming? That would get some upper body action, too.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Whatever exercise it needs to be ok'd by your Dr or physio.
    Possibly looking at walking, water arerobics;/ swimming theres also the handbike or rope cardio machines in some gyms or physio gyms. If you cant use a bike then that would be great whether outside or stationary. Plenty of upper body workouts on youtube, but see if you cna be referred to a phsyio so they cna oversee your rehabillitation.

Theres also loads of info on the internet from physios
    http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/knee-pain/medial-cartilage-meniscus-injury/strengthening-meniscus-injuries

http://www.howcast.com/videos/510342-physical-therapy-for-a-meniscus-tear-knee-exercises/

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/rehabilitation-for-a-meniscus-tear

Just always check with your Dr or physio imo, but it doesnt have to be that daynring just adapt and do what you can, always being safe.
  • JenniferWalden
    JenniferWalden Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I use to bike a lot when I was younger but with three children its hard to get out of the house long enough to really make any distance. I have a trailer I can put on the back but thinking it's not a good idea for my knee, I could really feel it pulling when I tried the other day. The Y I go to has a huge aquatics center, maybe I'll look into some classes there. I lost 30 pounds doing Zumba a year ago and pretty sure that's out of the question now!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The stationary bike is indeed *the* *most* boring cardio machine on the planet.

I don't use a real bike outside bc 1) I also have a couple of upper body issues, which means I need to be able to take my hands off pretty often and 2) I am not willing to risk death cycling in my city of super aggressive & inattentive drivers.

My way to cope is to rely on good playlists to get me through (usually EDM).

+1 get seen by a physiotherapist
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Swimming. Have had torn meniscus; displaced kneecap; full ankle replacement; and ruptured patella over the years (all on the same leg) and swimming is the only exercise I trust any more.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'm working on regaining strength after a knee injury and I love the stationary bike. I usually watch youtube videos while on there to pass the time. I've been told I could do the elliptical years ago by the surgeon, but it just hurts too much. The bike is what I did in physical therapy and so I stuck with it for my cardio along with the occasional long walk.
  • SophiaRinso
    SophiaRinso Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Get the book Heal your knee by Dr Robert Klapper. In short: reduce ALL weight bearing activity to a load and range of motion within your comfortable limit, then slowly increase after having done repairs and/or strengthening. I have patella - femoral issues (no tear thankfully) and I am looking forward to 3 months on the exercise bike with light strengthening only.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I agree with the cycling and swimming suggestions. Especially the cycling. I'll add rowing to your list of possible cardio activities. I have had injuries sideline me when I was in the middle of increasing activity and decreasing body fat and I found it pretty depressing. I gained weight. BUT I have also come back to MFP with injuries/restrictions, and did very well. I always want to get some exercise in (just makes me feel better) but losing weight by emphasizing eating well/less will get you to where you want to go. Best of luck losing those 15-20 pounds again. Just remember, slow and steady wins the race.