No more fast food!

Options

Replies

• zombiemusicgirl
    zombiemusicgirl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Be prepared that for the first week you may feel awful. If you do, don't worry, it will pass. I know that when anytime I stop eating a lot of fast food/bar food I feel like poo for the first few days. Then I feel better around day 4. I expect that I will go through this every so often, because I have a lot of bar trips as a musician.
    I do allow myself the occasional taco bell, but you better believe I am fitting it into my calories.

However, you may be surprised at how much time cooking a different meal each day can take. It may be helpful to plan to make one big meal and serve it over a few days. A little planning goes a long way when preparing your own food. Good luck - you can do it!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Still eat fast food, just less of it. :D

In excellent health and lost over a 100 pounds doing so. ;)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Dandelie wrote: »
    How quickly did you notice changes in your health and life?

I am about 60 days into my journey. Within the first three weeks, I didn't eat out. One night, we were rushed out the door after something happened. I didn't eat anything and didn't plan. We stopped at McD's. The first part of the meal I didn't notice because I was so hungry. The second was DISGUSTING! It made me want to throw up. I put it down and wouldn't eat any more. I haven't been back since. It's pretty soon after you cut things out that you will notice how your body is changing and your tastes move away. It is pretty easy to go past a fast food restaurant after tasting that nasty food.

I don't get this need to demonise fast food like macdonalds and call it disgusting and nasty.

If you don't like it don't eat it.

But there is no reason people can't eat it and lose/ maintain weight and be healthy.

@paperpudding I agree with your general point on demonizing fast food but once one gets off it then tries it later it can really taste like crap. It did taste good when we last ate it but we just lose our taste for junk food after eating better for a while.

While the Huddle House can serve some very high carb meals I get them to leave off the carbs and just have coffee, 5 fried eggs and 6 strips of fried bacon. That will permit me to hit my medium protein macro.

The CookOut and other fast food places locally offer low carb meals now but staying < 50 grams of carbs daily I have to watch for "hidden" carbs.

Shouldn't it taste like crap the first time you have it too, then? I don't think the business model would work if it was that way.

It does taste, or rather smell, like crap if you are not used to it from a young age. I cannot eat some types of fast food, never had it as a child, it does not smell like food to me. I have similar stories from several friends. It is one of these things where if you are not used to them from early on, it is unlikely you will fall in love with them later in life. Of course this goes for a lot of tastes, not just fast food. Marmite or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches come to mind: impossible to see the appeal if you are introduced to them as an adult, at least from my limited personal experience in relatives and friends.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Well of course, I think that we all ate fast food when we were teens. I stopped eating that junk about 5 years ago and only eat it maybe 2-3 times per year if I am on a road trip. I can't remember how it was when I stopped but now it is so gross and I get sick when I eat it. Now I cook 4-5 times a day and that gets to be a drag sometimes but I enjoy eating healthy. I don't eat frozen/processed food either.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Perhaps.

Or perhaps some new converts to healthy eating get a bit over zealous about demonising things that don't fit into their healthy eating criteria.

Why does it really matter? I don't mean that as an attack, it just seems odd to be bothered that a complete stranger thinks a food is disgusting. There are all sorts of foods in countries outside the US that are perfectly acceptable to them which I find disgusting (balut comes to mind), but I doubt they sit around offended that some chick half a world away thinks it's gross; I imagine they're too busy chowing down.

I'm not sure why someone else's preferences or opinions would even be worth a second thought if it's something that you like or want to eat. I doubt they're bothered by you choosing to eat it.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

I am about 60 days into my journey. Within the first three weeks, I didn't eat out. One night, we were rushed out the door after something happened. I didn't eat anything and didn't plan. We stopped at McD's. The first part of the meal I didn't notice because I was so hungry. The second was DISGUSTING! It made me want to throw up. I put it down and wouldn't eat any more. I haven't been back since. It's pretty soon after you cut things out that you will notice how your body is changing and your tastes move away. It is pretty easy to go past a fast food restaurant after tasting that nasty food.

I don't get this need to demonise fast food like macdonalds and call it disgusting and nasty.

But there is no reason people can't eat it and lose/ maintain weight and be healthy.

@paperpudding I agree with your general point on demonizing fast food but once one gets off it then tries it later it can really taste like crap. It did taste good when we last ate it but we just lose our taste for junk food after eating better for a while.

While the Huddle House can serve some very high carb meals I get them to leave off the carbs and just have coffee, 5 fried eggs and 6 strips of fried bacon. That will permit me to hit my medium protein macro.

The CookOut and other fast food places locally offer low carb meals now but staying < 50 grams of carbs daily I have to watch for "hidden" carbs.

Shouldn't it taste like crap the first time you have it too, then? I don't think the business model would work if it was that way.

It does taste, or rather smell, like crap if you are not used to it from a young age. I cannot eat some types of fast food, never had it as a child, it does not smell like food to me. I have similar stories from several friends. It is one of these things where if you are not used to them from early on, it is unlikely you will fall in love with them later in life. Of course this goes for a lot of tastes, not just fast food. Marmite or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches come to mind: impossible to see the appeal if you are introduced to them as an adult, at least from my limited personal experience in relatives and friends.

I never had marmite but I only started eating fast food as a teenager and even then only extremely rarely, never had it as a child, and PB&J sammiches even later on. I think both taste great.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

Same here, and I admit to myself when I pass through McD or wherever that I am not there for healthy eating.

This is pure taste indulging with zero care about health and wellness.
    BRING IT ON! >:)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Yes, tastes change over time, I accept that. ( although 60 days isn't really much time)

But that doesn't make the food no longer eaten 'disgusting' or 'nasty' or 'making me want to throw up'

I agree with this sentiment. It's just... what should the person say if the food made them nauseous?

Yes I guess you should say you feel nauseous eating it
    ( although I find it a bit strange that a food previously enjoyed has gone to the 'making you feel like throwing up' point in just 2 months)

I guess it was the whole ' the food is disgusting and nasty' idea added to the nearly making her throw up that seemed demonising the food, rather than just saying the food wasn't appealing to her any more.

I have never enjoyed this type of fast food. I have never managed to eat at McDonald's or Burger King. The smell of whatever fat they use to fry things into makes me want to throw up, it smells like trash to me, literally. It is not a matter of the food not being tasty, it is a matter of head scratching and wondering how people eat it, same as I would feel e.g. about someone telling me cat food looks delicious. It is not about the calories or the quality or whatever, I will drink soda for example and not pretend it is a nutritious or healthy choice. Of course since I have not been used to eating this type of fast food ever, perhaps I could get to accept that it actually is edible if I were forced to eat it regulalry for whatever reason. But perhaps the opposite is also possible, that once you get a break then you also start to notice whatever it is that makes me gagging at the smell?

Fair points, but this isn't the same as starting a diet and suddenly thinking the Micky D's quadruple cheese burgers you were happily scarfing down two weeks ago are now disgusting

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

Same here, and I admit to myself when I pass through McD or wherever that I am not there for healthy eating.

This is pure taste indulging with zero care about health and wellness.
    BRING IT ON! >:)

I still eat within my goals. Mostly get and my favorite grilled chicken sandwich or fish sandwich and/or once in awhile a Big Mac ;) and get the small kid size fries with it and sometimes a ice cream cone. :)
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Man, I love a McDonald's cheeseburger once in a while. I used to love their milkshakes in the old days but now they're all foamy. I miss the Shamrock Shakes from the 80's.

I do agree that too much can make a belly rumble. When we were homeward bound from a recent road trip, my son declined to have a meal and said, "Mom, I can't WAIT to get home and have a salad." That was kind of a proud moment for me... Yeah, we had our fun, but the kid had learned it's not the best to eat it all the time.
  • lechristina3
    lechristina3 Posts: 16 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My spouse and I ate out all of the time, especially fast food. About 3 months ago, we spent a large amount of money on convenience and eating out. This is part of what kicked us to eating better/homecooked meals and exercising. It took us about two weeks to really notice a difference. I noticed it more in my energy levels and digestion. About three weeks in I really started craving fast food, but now the thought just makes me sick. I ate two servings of chex mix the other day (which was in my calories) and had a tummy ache. Stick with it!! You will be grateful for it!!

Edit to add: We still eat out about two times per month, but it is at a restaurant. Fast food doesn't even sound appealing to us right now. I'm also afraid that if I eat it I will go back to eating it in an unhealthy fashion...so I just stay away from it for now.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Fast food is what it is. Don't demonise it. Everybody knows it's crap for you (nutrition bang for your Buck), but it's fun, convienient, social etc. Don't be surprised if it effects your goals if you eat the stuff all the time. It can be enjoyed in moderation as long as CICO is being applied and it fits your Macros. Enjoy food.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

I don't think that's true. I never really had any fast food as a kid except for the occasional McDonald's. We never had pizza (I didn't actually like pizza, but do now) or Chinese or Indian or any other kind of takeaway. These days I have usually one takeaway meal a week. I know a friend who was raised in a household that NEVER went out to eat. Ever. She's now hooked on fast food and eats out a few times a week. Taste buds change every couple of weeks so in most cases what you like or dislike as a child will be totally different to what you like or dislike as an adult.
    I even know someone who never tried marmite but loves it now. His sister loved it as a kid and hates it now - and their cousin is the opposite! I think it's just down to the individual.
    Really, OP, eating out once or twice a week probably won't hurt as long as you work it into your calories and macros :smile:
  • boomhower1820
    boomhower1820 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I eat out for lunch pretty much everyday when I am working. I just make it fit in my calorie count for the day. Lunch is by far my biggest meal of the day as I work 12's. Protein shake and greek yogurt for breakfast. Chicken or fish with a small side for dinner and eat out for lunch. It works for me.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    For the last couple of years fast food and large restaurants portions have been a huge problem for me! Eating out is such a convenience that I have relied on it to allow myself to be lazy and not prepare meals. Not anymore. For the sake if my family and my own health I am committing to no longer eating out. Has anyone gone from eating out a few times a week to not at all? How quickly did you notice changes in your health and life?
    If you want to eat more at home, arrange your kitchen to make things easier -- clear off counter space and get some appliances like a crockpot or whatever is going to help you.
    Spend some time planning menus and making grocery lists. Buy foods that are simple and easy to cook.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I almost never eat fast food anymore...maybe a few times a year on long road trips. I prefer to make my own food. If I don't have time to prepare my own lunch, I go out for something healthy like a create your own salad. Fast food just is really high in calories for what you get and it's not very healthy. I feel better not eating junk.

I do occasionally go to restaurants socially. But luckily I can just about always find healthy options on the menu. Every few months I will order something I normally don't eat anymore...but I find I want to do that less and less often as time goes on. New habits get stronger the longer you practice them.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    See if you can say no to restaurants and fast food for 1 full month.
    Put sticky notes all over your house. Even in your car.
    Tell everyone you know about your goal and ask for support.
    Call a friend when you feel tempted.
    Fast food/ restaurants do not care about your health.
    They just care about digging in your wallet.

Lol..."hey man, I need someone to talk to because I'm having the urge to go get fast food" "okay hold on, I'm at the burger king drive thru picking up something to eat"

Yeah okay..self discipline is key.

"Uh yeah, hang on, man...(in the background) I'll take a number 4, extra mayo, large fries, and a large Fanta...yeah, and add a jr. Bacon to that.....ok, what's up man?"
  • Primmalim
    Primmalim Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I eat out when the cravings hit but keep it within my calorie goals. I love fast food, no sense in making myself miserable over it.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,081 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Perhaps.

Or perhaps some new converts to healthy eating get a bit over zealous about demonising things that don't fit into their healthy eating criteria.

Why does it really matter? I don't mean that as an attack, it just seems odd to be bothered that a complete stranger thinks a food is disgusting. There are all sorts of foods in countries outside the US that are perfectly acceptable to them which I find disgusting (balut comes to mind), but I doubt they sit around offended that some chick half a world away thinks it's gross; I imagine they're too busy chowing down.

I'm not sure why someone else's preferences or opinions would even be worth a second thought if it's something that you like or want to eat. I doubt they're bothered by you choosing to eat it.

Agreed - It doesn't really matter and I am not bothered by it - was just commenting on the thread about what my take on it was.
    I though that's what threads were for?

Of course there are foods that we all think are disgusting - but it isn't usually Foods we were happily enjoying just weeks before.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Perhaps.

Agreed - It doesn't really matter and I am not bothered by it - was just commenting on the thread about what my take on it was.
    I though that's what threads were for?

Of course there are foods that we all think are disgusting - but it isn't usually Foods we were happily enjoying just weeks before.

I think for some people that it makes it easier to adhere to if they can shine a negative light on the things that they have chosen to give up...at least in my opinion.

I think as far as feeling "sick" and "throwing up" is somewhat true. When they give up fast food which is usually high in sodium and fats they replace those with foods that are not so salty and fatty. Then, depending on the length of time that they have abstained, when they resume eating those higher sodium/fatty foods it can be hard on the stomach.

I am that way with beef products. I grew up eating a lot of beef. I love beef. However I seldom eat beef anymore but when I do I also get that upset stomach feeling.

TL:DR If you convince yourself that fast food is disgusting...makes you puke...smells rancid...you are less likely to eat it and thus making it easier to adhere to you commitment to eliminate it.

Is that a healthy mental attitude...wouldn't be for me but I can see it working for someone else.