Gym or home outdoor exercising?

Options
Hi everyone, :)

i just want to know what you guys find better going to the gym or going out for a run in the park or indoor exercises?

i need to lose weight and bassically im getting bored of doing the same cardio so im thinking about joining a gym and i want to no what you guys opinion is.

<3

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I can't think of much more boring than cardio in a gym. If you think it will work for you, that's what counts.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a gym, so I can't really say. I have no problem exercising at home or while out and about walking/jogging though.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    My garage is my gym where I do lifting and I do my walking in our neighborhood.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I concur that exercising outdoors is more satisfying.
    In order to lose body weight eating at a deficit is the most important activity.
    Exercise is for health, eating at a deficit is for losing weight
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I dog walk and go for long walks outside

I exercise in a gym ...cos equipment and everybody else is doing the same thing and not watching me
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I like variety. Running, swimming, walking, cycling, and trying to stop being shy and try more classes. If I just used the treadmill, elliptical and rowing machine in my gym I would get bored too.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    My garage is also my gym, I have a mens olympic bar and some decent plates.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Do whatever makes you happy. The only big plus to cardio in the gym is the air conditioner. :smile:
  • emiliebecause
    emiliebecause Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I like variety of locations and exercises. Keeps me interested and it helps me have fun. I prefer outdoors or in the pool.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    i do the gym. Lots of cardio options and it's air conditioned! I mostly use the treadmill -- get to watch TV and listen to music....However on nice days (not above 82 degrees F), I like to walk outside at our local walk along the river (3.4 miles round trip).
  • jjburger77
    jjburger77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Variety is key! But, I do know what you mean. I was bored myself, and going to classes cured that for me. Granted, my gym is at my work, so it's convenient. During the weekend, you will find me outside hiking, at the park, or running around my neighborhood.
  • pooks1976
    pooks1976 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like working out at home. I have my own equipment, my own AC settings, get to watch what I want on the TV (and actually hear it), don't have to drive anywhere, and I can wear whatever is comfortable without embarrassment.

Everyone is different though. There isn't one answer, it is whatever works for the individual.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I like to be outside. The gym is just boring. Plus, it seems silly to drive there so I can walk on a revolving belt and then drive home. Why not just walk, KWIM?

Fresh air is good for me, too. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    This time of year I like to get my cardio from walking in the woods, gardening, and swimming, but plan to join a gym in the winter.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Its whatever suits you. Its nice to be outside especially when the weather is good, but the gym has its advantages as well.Ger a rial pass at the gym and compare or just join one where you cna have a weekly or monthly contract. Getting to the gym is most of the battle and it also has the advantage it has weights as well.

Gyms also have classes which seem to be much more popular with females than males.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I used to walk outside a lot, but with the heat and/or cold 8 months a year, now I go to the gym, plus I can choose an incline, which makes me burn more calories anyway. And the gym has Solitaire on the treadmill, so yeah, I'm not bored, lol.

But of course on nice days I will go outside instead.
  • elkhunter7x6
    elkhunter7x6 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, :)

i just want to know what you guys find better going to the gym or going out for a run in the park or indoor exercises?

i need to lose weight and bassically im getting bored of doing the same cardio so im thinking about joining a gym and i want to no what you guys opinion is.

<3

I am enjoying both. On Monday morning I do a 1hr burn it class in the morning at the gym, and do Ice Cream workout at the gym after work. Tuesday I go to gym after work and do Ice Cream workout. On Wednesday I walk 5 miles in the morning at home, and do a 1hr burn it class at the gym after work. On Thursday I walk 5 miles in the morning at home and do Ice Cream workout at the gym after work. On Friday I walk 5 miles in the morning at home and do a 1hr burn it class at the gym in the evening.

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    claudia wrote:
    Yes.
    Depends on the day, weather, time of year, etc.
    I have a gym membership & when it's cold or rainy that's where I am sweating.
    On nice days, I'll go for a long walk (outdoors, with hills) or ride my bike.
    The gym doesn't have bugs, and does have TV to watch, so it's less boring than it would be.
    Outdoors is, well, outdoors. There's scenery. People. Traffic, depending on where I go.
    If I had the space in my living room, I have exercise DVDs (like for when there's 2 feet of snow blocking the
    driveway, or a blizzard, or it's 15 below).

i need to lose weight and basically im getting bored of doing the same cardio
    Then find more things to do.
    Walk, bicycle, swim, jog, basketball can be indoors or out.
    Try different programs on the treadmill - random & hill give variable terrain / incline.
    Elliptical is pretty much only indoors, as are stairs (unless you can get into a stadium & run their steps).
    Borrow someone's dog & go play. Or a toddler. :grin:

Oh, and what socioseguro said: losing weight is about eating less than you need.
    Exercise helps, but the kitchen is most important.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I concur that exercising outdoors is more satisfying.
    In order to lose body weight eating at a deficit is the most important activity.
    Exercise is for health, eating at a deficit is for losing weight
    Good luck in your healthy journey
    I like to run outdoors, I change my route and sometimes play ingress (ingress.com) to change it up. I love to eat and have a cocktail too. Yes deficit is important so I run to make it work for me.
  • insearchofcheese
    insearchofcheese Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Weather permitting I try to do my cardio outdoors. If it's too hot or too cold I go the gym. I also like to workout at 5am so it's not always safe for me to be outdoors. Come close to a few black bears since I live on the edge of a forest preserve. I do find gym cardio to require more mental effort from me because I find it incredibly boring.