Gym or home outdoor exercising?

Options
2»

Replies

• Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Outside. I don't belong to a gym. I live in the south though and can go outside all year around except in the rain. Light rain is ok, I rollerbladed in light rain today!
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical at home but I much prefer to walk outside. It's winter here in Australia though so by the time I get home from work, it's too dark to head outside. I personally find the elliptical at home reaaalllly boring and find it hard to motivate myself on it. I think it's knowing that I can just stop anytime, whereas if I'm outside walking/running, I still need to turn around and come home.
  • LiftCore
    LiftCore Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would join the gym only if you plan to properly utilize the weights and lifting equipment, and if you like the fitness environment. At the moment I just do my cardio in there after weight sessions because it is convenient and it is still a little cold here. But during the summer I make the most of the weather and go for runs/go bike riding with my girlfriend, and I find that I end up doing a lot more cardio because it doesn't seem like a mundane task, more of a fitness date.

End of the day, the type of cardio you do only matters in terms of how well you can stick to it or how much of it you can do at a time. If you're not creating a caloric deficit through a combination of cardio and *diet*, apart from the cardiovascular health benefits, you're wasting your energy
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    I have had a gym membership for 5 years and have gone maybe 40 times. I could walk and walk and walk outside... once i am on the treadmill i am miserable and need to get off. I do like to swim at the gym but the last few times I have gotten creepy un wanted attention. I do envy the equipment but we are purchasing everything I will need for 5X5 strong lifts... EXCITED!!!!
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the gym. I live in a hot climate, I can't run outside past March without dying. Plus I LOVE to cycle and personally find a spin class to be a better workout than cycling outside. I can control the hills and I can never coast. Outside I can find hills to climb, but they always have downhill. In a class I can climb hills for an hour if I want. Plus, my in-house gym doesn't have nearly the amount of weight machines and equipment I have access to at the gym. Although I never have to wait for things in my own house.
  • caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My only problem working out at home is that my dog tries to join in. If I'm doing Pilates on the floor he will stand over me and lick my face. :D But I like both gyms, and home/outdoor exercise. Depends on my mood.
    0067808 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Weather is prob biggest factor- I live in Belfast and despite it being the height of summer it has hardly stopped raining for the past two months....great for the garden, not so good for walking/running etc! Plus I like to use the treadmill with loud music on via headphones - so I'd probably get run over if I tried that on the pavement outside.....
  • Ginger_Poomkin
    Ginger_Poomkin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just started hiking and I LOVE IT!!! Seriously, mixing things up is key :smile: I biked at the gym monday and friday, I had Zumba classes tuesday and thursday, took wednesday off and hiked yesterday and today!! And I feel like I barely exercised this week LOL! Add me if you wanna stay motivated :smiley: xoxo
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I'm half/half.

Some days I really have no motivation to get outside and take a walk, or do a pilates video, so getting to the gym before work can be the key!-as soon as I walk through those doors, I won't let myself leave until after I've been there an hour! Other days, I can take 2-3 hour hikes, and enjoy the outdoors to the fullest... I have been starting to run outside more often, and am enjoying it(although the dreadmill isn't as dreadful as it was during highschool!!!) It's all about the mood!!!
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    See what you like - try it all and see.

I personally prefer working out at home and taking walks outside.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you enjoy enough to do!
  • meghanleia
    meghanleia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For me it really depends on what works with my schedule. I just moved to a small town in the South, so I joined a gym because there's no sidewalks in this area and it's too hot to exercise outside. But when I lived up north in a larger city I really enjoyed walking and jogging outside. But there, the nearest gym was very expensive and only had spin/yoga classes. So I say only join a gym if you really think it with work with your schedule/lifestyle.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone, :)

i just want to know what you guys find better going to the gym or going out for a run in the park or indoor exercises?

i need to lose weight and bassically im getting bored of doing the same cardio so im thinking about joining a gym and i want to no what you guys opinion is.

<3
    ALL OF THE ABOVE!
    I split my time doing all three, and our gym has just about everything.

tczzmd9ikjbx.jpg

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I enjoy weight lifting in the gym... oh and my zumba classes (it's my therapy) but everything else is at home.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I use the gym the most. I go 3-5 times a week, doing cardio every time for 50 minutes and also add weights twice a week.

For years, I walked outdoors, which I love, but decided to go use the gym to avoid sun since skin cancer is in my family and I have a fair complexion. I still also walk the dog about once a week, though.

I do not really like exercising but I have "just done it" most of my adult life because I know I need it. I gain weight very easily. Using upbeat music helps me stay motivated and I do think it helps me to go somewhere where their are other people also exercising. If I see them doing it, it helps me to feel like I am not alone in making a regular effort when there are other things I would rather be doing.

A previous gym I went to had line dancing. I did that once a week and enjoyed that the most. I have suggested it to the gym I go to and maybe they will add it sometime, you never know.

70044776.png
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    So far I have been sticking to outdoors and home workouts. I primarily walk outdoors. I live near a lake that has a wonderful path and the weather is mild here throughout the year. I do mostly yoga and some strength training at home. I use to really like gyms for their classes, but where I live gym memberships/classes are rather expensive.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Preferred at home (DVDs, weights, circuits) or outdoors, but now use the gym bc I need the low-impact cardio options, plus some other equipment that I can't afford.
  • angie_momof3
    angie_momof3 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If I can get outside for a walk or jog, then thats what I do. I don't really have a gym where I live so its not really an option. I also do a lot of youtube workouts. I especially like fitnessblender. They have so many great videos and they structure it so that you can play your own music while you do the workout.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I live in Michigan. So outdoor stuff is where is at now. I have a good five months of crap coming in the Michigan off season. I'm walking outdoor as much as I can