Just fornd Top 5 Breakfasts for PCOS

Options
Tell me what you guys think of this...

by Randi Cestaro
Happy Healing

The key to having happy blood sugar levels is by starting your day off with a breakfast thats tailored for people with PCOS. That means you want to have a breakfast that does not bother your blood sugar levels, but stabilizes them.

Protein is the key ingredient to having happy blood sugar levels in the morning. Experiment with eating protein in the morning and see how energized you feel throughout the day.

Eating mostly protein in the morning is the best way for people with PCOS to start their day. Try replacing your old breakfast with these new breakfast options for two weeks and see how you feel. You should experience more energy, fewer mood swings and more stabilized energy throughout the entire day.

These are the top 5 breakfasts for PCOS:

1. For starters dairy is an excellent source of high-quality protein and a terrific way to start the morning. Yogurt or cottage cheese are also great options; high in protein and healthy fats and low in sugar; provided you get plain yogurt. Be sure to check the sugar levels in the yogurt and go with the one that has the least grams of sugar.

Try having a bowl of yogurt, with fresh berries, nuts and low sugar granola or try low fat cottage cheese with fresh fruit.

These are both great options, but notice how you feel after each. Did you feel satisfied and for how long?

2. Eggs are another healthy option; and a great source of protein. Be sure to eat the whole egg to really reap the benefits. A whole egg forms a complete protein. Have eggs, any style that suits you with some fresh vegetables. This can be a very satisfying meal. Enjoy.

3. Nut butters can also be an excellent source of protein. Almond butter is one of the best. Try almond butter with a sliced apple or on whole grain crackers. This can be a very light but satisfying meal.

4. A protein shake is another good option. Be sure to select a protein powder thats high in protein and low in sugar. Mix in some fresh berries, protein powder and any form of milk that you use in a blender. Then drink and enjoy. This can be a deliciously sweet breakfast without the added sugar.

5. For a lighter breakfast, you can try nuts (walnuts and almonds are best) with some fresh berries or a piece of fruit. Nuts are a great source of protein and help you stay satisfied for an extended period of time. This is a great light breakfast option.

Try these new breakfast options for two weeks and see how much better you will feel.

You should notice a surge in energy, some weight loss and more stable blood sugar levels.

Review these options carefully and see which ones will fit best into your daily routine in terms of which ones you have the time to prepare for yourself; or which ones travel the best for you. Just be realistic when making any dietary changes, and always choose the options that fit best with your lifestyle.

Following these above tips after consulting your doctor and notice how much better you will feel.

Now, isnt that a great way to spell relief for yourself? I think so and so do the many PCOS sufferers I have been fortunate to work with.

Replies

• corysboredagain
    Options
    you know, i think this is true. ever since i switch from cereal to greek yogurt, fruit & granola for breakfast i have noticed some changes in my PCOS. it's nice, and it's a great motivator for me to keep eating healthy because even if i'm not yet getting the weight loss results i want, i'm getting healthier, which is the most important thing of all.
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Great info! Thank you for posting.
  • aswearingen
    Options
    thanks!
  • catieblecktyler
    catieblecktyler Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks a bunch for this post. I work 4-12 hour days and start my day at 0600. This means that I am packing at least 2 meals out of my day and really struggle with what to pack for breakfasts. I appreciate you taking the thinking out of this for me!
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I've learned that I absolutely cannot eat cereal for breakfast, with the exception of Special K Protein. Ever since I switched to eggs, yogurt, and protein-filled items like that, I've felt tons better. Not *as* cranky at work, and stay fuller longer. Thanks for posting, makes me know I'm on the right track :-)
  • littlelexical
    littlelexical Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Im so/so about this.

I dont really agree with all of the advice listed - but compared to a couple of pieces of jam ladened toast, or a bowl of sugary cereal, definitely better options.
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've found level blood sugar magic with a multigrain english muffin piled high with 3 tbsp peanut butter. It's been my go-to breakfast for a couple of weeks now! I stay satisfied until lunch time on just that; no snacks required.

ETA: I'm on this kick because I'm burned out on Greek yogurt and eggs.
  • paleas
    paleas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've done this with multi-grain toast and peanut butter -- it tastes great and keeps me full for a while!

I've also done the multi-grain toast spread with sardines. I know it sounds weird, but when I read it I figured sardines are cheap and why not try it, and ended up really liking it. It gets the same benefit of the protein, plus fish oils and omega-3s and what not.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    good information thanks!
  • sharpdoc
    sharpdoc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    "Low fat" anything,especially yogurt, is a code word for hi carbs/sugar. Usually a bad choice for PCOS people.PCOS is an insulin resistance condition. A low carb higher protein/ fat lifestyle is ideal. Like paleo, or Protein Power. If it's made from wheat,corn, rice,or sugar avoid it. Also if the HbA1C is borderline to hi metformin is an incredibly helpful medication and is generally very underutilized. Helps slow or prevent the onset of Type ll diabetes, makes weight loss much easier too. Check w your Dr. My fav breakfast is 1.5 scoops Metryx choc protein powder w 8 oz water and 4 oz unsweetened soy milk or unsweetened almond milk. Thats about 35 grams protein ,220 cal, 7-8 grams of carbs.
  • littlelexical
    littlelexical Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Personally - Soy is terrible for PCOS - It disrupts endocrine function - which is something already an issue in women with PCOS - it is one of the main things to avoid. So soy milk & Protein powders (which generally contain large amounts of soy product in them) are things i would not advocate using. Generally avoiding anything with soy is best for a PCOS body.

As far as milk (not soy - just regular milk) the Jury is still largely out. I chose to consume full fat, organic dairy over the skim/semi skim/low fat varieties based on the research i have done, but in a very moderate amount. I really think, unless an artical tells you why these things are good for your body (inside) - everyone needs to look further and ask "what do these things do inside my body for my condition" not just "does this make me feel full until lunch time?"
  • sharpdoc
    sharpdoc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Large amounts of soy I agree is not ideal. The amount of phytoestrogen in 4 oz of soy milk however is miniscule. The amount of estrogen coming in from peripheral adipose tissue is far more clinically relevant. PCOS is felt by many to start primarily from genetic insulin resistance which leads to obesity which increases peripheral estrogen production. This extra estrogen then interferes with the hypothalamus and leads to the classic irregular ovulation and infertility. Bottom line, lo carb lifestyle and weight loss is most effective treatment.