Maintaining weight loss progress versus fueling up for exercise demands.

Options
Tespony
Tespony Posts: 8 Member
Anyone have experience about staying on course for losing weight yet eating to maintain enough strength to bicycle, say 40-70 miles a day? I'm currently on a bicycle tour along the west coast. Trying to stay on my diet yet realizing I need to eat a lot to have the stamina to bike long distances. Thanks!

Replies

• lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Sort of can relate. I just reach my 50lb weightloss goal, so I did the deficit thing. I have also increased my workouts to make them more challenging. Training for a 5K and strength training 2-3 a week.
    I find I can't eat at a deficit anymore, I'm too hungry or too tired to give it my all at the gym.
    I still have 20 more lbs to lose and currently trying to figure out this balance myself.
    I like my fitness regimen and wanna keep it up. I've always enjoyed moving more to eat more.
    Find foods high in protein to eat. Maybe try carb cycling.
  • Tespony
    Options
    Congratulations on your 50 pound weightloss goal! I know it is hard work. I ended up not losing weight on my trip but I'm definitely more fit and toned.

After the tour I immediately cut calories back to my 1,400 set point. I usually eat about 1,800-1,900 but with my steps and sometimes extra exercise I come in a little over or under.

What do you mean by carb cycling? I still have 15 to go. They will be the stubborn ones! Love the feedback and number crunching from MFP, my Garmins and Strava!

Good luck in your 5k! I don't run but will walk and bike. Prob should use the Bowflex to help build up muscles...

Thank you for your input!
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert with carb cycling... Just learning.
    It's all about eating carbs differently each day. High and low.
    Also learning about recomposition. You may have lost weight this tour but you feel toned. You probably burned fat and placed it with muscle.
    I've been measuring my body the last 2 months, eating at maintance, but increasing workout challenges. My weight came down 1.5lbs but I lost inches in hips and waist.
  • Tespony
    Options
    Good points! I did a little Google search on carb cycling, interesting concept. Looks like it's more involved than I wish to be right now! However, maybe that's the trick at my stage of the game!

Need to start measuring because I like to see results...and if the scale doesn't drop, maybe the inches will!

Thank you for your feedback!

Maintaining our weightloss is just as important as losing. Great job!