Water Supplaments - need suggestions

Options
FunRun08
FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
Ok, I am a huge water fan. I drink it all the time and its pretty much the only thing I drink. However, I have started training for a half marathon and the weather is getting hotter. I need something to add electrolytes especially after long runs. I dont care for Gatorade or similar drinks. What Im looking for is something that I can add to my water that doesnt add a lot of calories and isnt loaded with sugar. Someone suggested Crystal Light but Im not sure if that has added electrolytes. Also I am pretty cheap:tongue:
Thanks

Replies

• dian1227
    dian1227 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Homemade electrolyte solution:

The Lip Twister - tart and sweet
    1/4 cup of lemon juice
    1/4 cup of lime juice
    1 teaspoon of salt
    1 whole squeezed orange (or one frozen can of orange juice)
    1 liter of water

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/how-to-make-a-homemade-electrolyte-drink.html
  • Iam918
    Iam918 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/344710-how-to-add-electrolytes-to-water/

How to Add Electrolytes to Water

Step 1
    Fill a 32-oz. bottle with 16 oz. of water. Distilled water is ideal because it's the closest to pure water, but bringing tap water to a boil in a kettle will provide adequately clean water. Spring water may also be used.

Step 2
    Add a dash of salt to the water. A pinch of salt will add sodium to the mix, a necessary electrolyte for keeping the nerves healthy for sending and receiving messages in the body. Baking soda has a similar makeup to salt and may be substituted if desired.

Step 3
    Add 16 oz. of fresh citrus juice. The citrus family of fruit contain calcium and potassium, which combined with salt provides a balance for pH and fluid levels in the body. Lemon, lime, tangerine, grapefruit and orange juice all have the necessary minerals for electrolyte replenishment.

Step 4
    Add a half teaspoon of honey to the drink. Honey will provide glucose and help for better absorption of minerals within the body, while bringing a pleasant taste to the drink.

Step 5
    Put the cap on the bottle and shake well. Drink the mixture after heavy physical exertion, after an illness or in high temperatures.

Things You'll Need
    32 ounce bottle Salt or baking soda Citrus juice Honey
  • bojodo
    bojodo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like Emergen-C drink packets.
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thank You! I think I will try making some and see how that works, much prefer that to buying a powder.