What would you do?

Options
I'd love to know what you guys would do if you ever find yourselves in this situation: Suppose that to eat your "treat" (chips, freanch fries, ice cream or whatever it is) and you almost reach your calorie goal. Then you realize that you lack your micros (vitamins, calcium, iron). What would you do? Would you eat to fulfill your micros and go over your calorie goal?

Replies

• beverlyjlarson
    beverlyjlarson Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I stay within my calories and worry about nutrients tomorrow. It all balances out at the end of the week.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I stay within my calories and worry about nutrients tomorrow. It all balances out at the end of the week.

Same. One bad day in terms of not hitting your macros is not going to kill you!
  • AshleyCMoody
    AshleyCMoody Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think calorie goals are more important if your goal is weightloss, but not if is to be overall nutritious.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    For one day? No biggie.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Start fresh the next day.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I usually evaluate if I can afford to go over , have I been over several times already this week or is this my first time ? If I can afford to, I'll just go over..
    But one day won't hurt either way. Just get back on track tomorrow and you'll be okay !
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    The only macro I try to stick with is protein, but most important to me is calories. And even with that, I don't worry if I go over, under, etc for one day as it all evens out for me in the long run.
  • shewillgetthere
    shewillgetthere Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would stay within my goal and do better next day.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't bother tracking micros (or macros for that matter). I do tend to eat healthier foods, so I'm getting them, I'm just not tracking them. But no, I wouldn't stuff myself just because I treated myself. I see that as just another excuse for making bad decisions.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    elga_thres wrote: »
    I'd love to know what you guys would do if you ever find yourselves in this situation: Suppose that to eat your "treat" (chips, freanch fries, ice cream or whatever it is) and you almost reach your calorie goal. Then you realize that you lack your micros (vitamins, calcium, iron). What would you do? Would you eat to fulfill your micros and go over your calorie goal?
    Any excuse to eat more is all I need...lol
    What would I do?
    NO MORE EATING!
    Calorie goals are the most important consideration. Macro goals are secondary.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Eat the chips and take a multivitamin.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Eat the chips and take a multivitamin.

This. And being under your micros one day isn't going to mean a thing.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I just dont worry and would eat what I fancied. One day isnt going to matter. If I was going over calories then id be confident my exercise done or yet to do would take care of it. More importnat things going on.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Pop a multi vitamin, resolve to eat more veggies and nutrient dense food tomorrow and stop sweating the small stuff.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't pay any attention to my micronutrients.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    elga_thres wrote: »

It would depend on if I was still hungry, what I was low on and how much over my calorie goal it would take me. I'm okay eating to my maintenance level every so often but if I was not hungry I would probably just plan to do better tomorrow.

Planning and pre-logging your whole day is an awesome way to avoid this situation.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I cannot "work in" stuff like chips and ice cream and still get the nutrients I need, so I skip the chips and ice cream. I chose to nourish my body instead of just my desire for ice cream.

But chips and ice cream...they just aren't part of my diet, so it isn't like I turn them down. They're not in the running.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I tend to look at my micros at a monthly view. Some days I go really over on some micros, while there are days where I don't meet any of my micro goals. If I notice that I am constantly below the RDA for certain micros (typically calcium and iron for me), then I adjust my diet accordingly so that I can start reaching those goals.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I work my treats in to meet my macros. I wasn't good at this two years ago. I am now. It's a process, but one day here and there doesn't make that much difference. A pattern of mindless overeating makes us overweight over time. A pattern of healthy eating makes us healthy over time.
  • elga_thres
    elga_thres Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your answers!!!