Motivate Me...ppppllleeeassssee!

Options
How can I get motivated to exercise? I joined Curve's 3 weeks ago with every intention to go 3X a week...I haven't made it there for two weeks now. Sure, there have been issues I had to attend to...Perhaps it's time I stop attending to everyone else and start attending to me...I just need to know what everyone else does when they feel like an excercise failure....

Replies

• rmdemattia
    rmdemattia Posts: 26
    Options
    I wish I could offer you more motivation. I joined the Y about 4 weeks ago and have never went. I have started walking/jogging in the evenings though. Let me know what you discover, so I can be motivated too!
  • grandledgemj
    Options
    I have struggled with this numerous times. I find myself pressing snooze. I tell myself that I have to get to the gym, if I don't how will I meet my daily goals.
  • misca0812
    misca0812 Posts: 2
    Options
    when i don't feel motivated i will make a playlist of super up beat tones and only listen to them when i run. this way if i hear the song on the radio, on t.v. or at a dance it makes me fill like i want to run. and i also think of the new clothes ill get when i get to my goal weight.:happy:
  • WeightLossTrek
    Options
    Honestly. You have to motivate yourself. Write a list of the reasons you want to get into shape and the things you want to accomplish and the reasons you are pursuing your goals. Make a plan, be specific. Execute it.

These are my reasons and motivations, if you are looking for inspiration.

http://weightlosstrek.blogspot.com/2011/02/top-10-things-i-am-going-to-do-once-i.html
    http://weightlosstrek.blogspot.com/2011/01/motivation-for-losing-weight.html
  • dinahbeard
    dinahbeard Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do they offer Zumba at your location? if you never have tried it you must! The music alone is motivation. Keep pushing yourself even if you think you can't. Good luck.
  • funayman
    funayman Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I never could get into the habit of going to a gym or doing exercise videos in my home. I just started watching my calories w/ MFP and exercised w/ what seemed fun for me. I started playing racquetball and burn a bunch of calories that way and have been biking a lot more (it helps w/ gas being so expensive). You just gotta try different things and find what works best w/ you. For me its biking and racquetball.

Good luck!
  • TMoni14
    TMoni14 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I look at the list of reasons why I exercise (it's posted on my bedroom and bathroom mirrors) and the reasons that I have chosen to make a life change. If I miss a workout, I try not to beat myself up about, eat a little healthier that day and just focus on the next day. It's a process. We're not perfect. We just have to learn to move past what we're doing wrong and focus on making it better.
  • 1ArmyMom1
    1ArmyMom1 Posts: 94
    Options
    My motivation is when I start to see that exercising actually does take the weight off. Unfortunately I think most women are inherently NOT selfish so we put everyone before us... I made a specific time that is for ME for exercising... my kids know that between 7:00 & 8:00 pm I will be exercising (sometimes that involves them if we go on a long walk & sometimes it doesn't & they know that too). They want me to be healthy and thinner too so they will even remind me sometimes... at 7:05 I'll get "are you going on the treadmill today?" or "aren't you doing that DVD?". Set a time that works for you & commit to it & once you see the weight coming off you won't want to miss out on your exercise for the day. Best of luck!!
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I gave up on gymns. I now walk fast, do stretches (to keep this almost 59 year old body moving), chase my grandson in Tickle races, park farther from any building I have driven to, I have some small weights that I grab for about 2 minutes a month ;), and I love to dance to whatever is playing at my house! You can do this whereever you are. Have fun! :drinker: (lots of water)
  • Chottu
    Chottu Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Go shopping and buy lots of cute Workout Clothes,Sheos,Accesseries,anything.....:wink:
  • rice161
    rice161 Posts: 59
    Options
    It depends on how you like to be motivated! For me, I'd prefer to eat more than my daily calorie allowance so if I do that through the day, I have no choice but to go exercise! However, I really think it's about finding what you enjoy. Maybe Curves or a gym isn't the solution? I joined a gym and went frequently for a long time but never once was I excited to go. Now I started Zumba and have my friends come over so we can walk as a group. I look FORWARD to both... that's the key for me! Good luck!
  • etjaneausten
    etjaneausten Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Can you find a friend or two to go with you? It's harder to tell others that you are skipping out on an exercise, keeps your more on track. And once your go, you are going to love it.

Look at your calender realisticly, and decide which time slots your are giving to yourself. Make that a priority. You are worth it, every bit as much as your family and friends.

Find a non-food reward when you completed a week/months/session.... - a trip to the zoo, going to the waterpark etc.

And whatever you did NOT do so far does not have to determine what you do today and tomorrow!!!

Good luck :-)
  • Chottu
    Chottu Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I need to Spell check................:mad:
  • makmyra
    makmyra Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Eeryone can add me if you'd like! We ALL NEED MOTIVATION AT SOME POINT OR ANOTHER!!! UR NOT ALONE! What helps me is logging everything that goes in my mouth even if its bad...and holding myself accountable along with keeping in touch with everyone on MFP! We're all in this together! :flowerforyou:
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have my exercise sessions as appointments on my phone, and I keep them just like I would any other appointment. If I do think about skipping one, I just think to myself that the only person I'm cheating is myself, and that the regret the following day isn't worth it.

Once I make a start on the exercise and the endorphins start flowing, I wonder why I even considered not doing it :)
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    What your why? What do YOU need to do to accomplish your why? There is your motivation. For me I have made it an appointment that can not be missed. My family knows that this is my time! No exceptions. I do my fitness DVD first thing every morning (before they are up) and then every afternoon I do my run/walk. I have learned that by allowing myself this time for me, I'm a much better wife and mother. The time I spend with them is more focused on them, I'm not feeling like all I do is take care of them and not me. It's a win/win for us all. Some days I just don't feel like it, but I make myself do 10 minutes if I still don't feel it I stop and try later, most days I keep going and am so glad I did. Good luck!
  • cmyhart
    cmyhart Posts: 1
    Options
    I was always asking myself what was it going to take to "flip the switch" for me to start exercising!! And then I heard something on “I have to choose”, so what is working for me is I got a fantastic personal trainer, and I workout in a small group of people with health goals…and they inspire me when I feel clumsy and awkward while learning this new way of life. My trainer is worth every penny…she calls me, emails, and text…so I have whole nother level of accountability. Hopes this helps…You can choose and do this…because you got goals babe!! 
  • Tiffani3089
    Tiffani3089 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Motivation for me is my future.. My future children... my health ..the way I view myself... I don't want to be over weight - I refuse to be obese.. that in it's self should be more than enough to motivate anyone I think. You see these heavy people that can hardly walk do you want to be that person? Do you want to live a long happier FIT life? You have to find what motivates you.. no one else can do it. 100% You. If you do not have the desire to work out now.. when will you? When your health is at risk? When someone close to you suffers b/c of their weight issues? Find fun ways to lose weight.. maybe kick boxing, zumba, pilates, swiming, running at the local park.... and as always watch your calories, fat grams and sugars.. It's ok to treat yourself SOMETIMES but not ALL the time..
    When I work out I go right after work & before dinner. I drop my stuff get changed and roll out.. You can do it lady!.. but its all YOU.. Make the changes for YOU! :)
  • rubyrenga
    rubyrenga Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Find a picture of what you'd like to look like physically and post it in a prominent place where you'll see it often. When you feel lazy, just look at it and think of what you need to do to get there. Also, think of how amazing you feel after a workout. Good luck!
  • TruckinThePoundsOff
    Options
    Honestly. You have to motivate yourself.

This.

On my profile page I listed "We are driving a Truck with Mr. Power as our Co-Driver and we are dropping weight off everywhere today..."

It takes one thing to set you off to want to do this. For me it was a story I posted a few days ago on here for my friends that inspired me to start this and it stated:

Last year I went to Kings Island and there was a ride that I wanted to get on so bad. It was the one that is round and people sit on the edge and the thing spins and goes left and right making it look like you are going to fall straight into the pavement as it swoops you up and takes you back up in the air. When I got there we got on it and they were having to hold up the ride because I could not get the seat belt fastened. They had two people who works there trying to help me. I had to get off the ride in front of hundreds of people who were standing around looking at me. I was so embarrassed, I heard people talking and seen people pointing and one of the comments I heard was, "he met the height requirements but exceeded the weight requirement". That was my turning point. I went home and cried and was so embarrassed.

Now that I have the ability (financially) to do so, I am taking the time off of work and I AM GOING TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN. You have to want to do this. I use things like Rocky (the movie) to motivate me...well a small part of it where Micky says to Rocky, "Get up Get up one more time 'cuz Micky loves you", or another movie "Men of Honor". That movie is very inspiring. "Remember the Titans" or "Grid Iron Gang". Those movies that inspire me to do this. I use those movies as inspiration because each one has a trial they had to overcome and that is what I am doing.

You have to want this, we can tell you what motivates us and SUPPORT you all the way to your goal but as far as motivation, that comes with in. Remember, only you can loose your weight and only you can do this for you. We are here for you with support and words of encouragement but the rest is up to you hun.

Best of luck and add me if you like, I am on here every day with words of support. Anyone can send me a friends request...

Thank you all.

J.P.