nutrition change in rice

Hey guys,

I have a short question about "nutrition change" for example : i measure 100 grams of uncooked rice and it has 45 grams of carbs will the nutrition value then change once its been cooked ? Coz when i measure it when cooked its not that accurate due to water.. so should i meause it uncooked ? Once again my question is if nutrition value change when rice is cooked..

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    It does tend to be more accurate to weigh raw, as the amount of moisture can very depending on cooking time, and that can skew the cooked nutrition.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Yes, it changes very much when cooked. 1/2 cup of uncooked rice will be about 1 1/2 cups after cooking. But there are entries for both cooked and uncooked (this goes for pretty much everything. If you don't find it in the MFP database, search the USDA nutrient database here: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ .) There might be some variation in different "versions" of cooked rice, but usually when these things are measured, many samples are done and and average is taken to get an "official" number.
  • QueenKristine77
    QueenKristine77 Posts: 67 Member
    it does change, so look at the nutrition label and it should state, 1/4 cup dry or 1/2 cup cooked, something like that
  • lyonspatrick222
    lyonspatrick222 Posts: 49 Member
    Yes, it changes very much when cooked. 1/2 cup of uncooked rice will be about 1 1/2 cups after cooking. But there are entries for both cooked and uncooked (this goes for pretty much everything. If you don't find it in the MFP database, search the USDA nutrient database here: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ .) There might be some variation in different "versions" of cooked rice, but usually when these things are measured, many samples are done and and average is taken to get an "official" number.

I think u dont got my question, my question is if it does change in NUTRITION VALUE so i mean if i measured 100 grams of uncooked rice and it has 45 grams of carbs and cooked it and after it has been cooked i eat it ALL do i still get 45 grams of carbs ?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited August 2015
    I think u dont got my question, my question is if it does change in NUTRITION VALUE so i mean if i measured 100 grams of uncooked rice and it has 45 grams of carbs and cooked it and after it has been cooked i eat it ALL do i still get 45 grams of carbs ?
    Yes. The carbs don't cook out and the rice includes the water you used to cook it.

If you cooked broccoli and then drained off the water, you'd lose some of the nutrients because they would leach out into the water. Rice absorbs the moisture and you don't drain it so it retains the nutrients.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

Yes. The nutritional content of the food does not evaporate during the cooking process.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member

Yes, if you eat it all it still has 45g of carbs.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member

No, it will not change the nutritional value if you put 30 grams of uncooked rice into a pot, boil it, and it comes out to 60 grams of rice you actually eat. The calories and macros will be the same, including those carbs.