IIFYM Success?

Options
Good Morning! So, like many others, I have been researching the IIFYM plan, and really want to give it a try! Problem is, even upon massive research, I'm still confused on how it works. I'm currently 160 lbs 5'4 and really trying to lose around 30-35 lbs. Of course MFP, has me at 1200 calories per day. According to online IIFYM.com it's suggesting over 1300. I'm okay with that, as long as I'm on the right track here. You can see where I would be nervous here. So I was wondering if anyone here has similar goals or HAD these goals, used IIFYM, or currently using, would be so kind to be friends so I could follow eating patterns or get an idea of how you all eat on this plan?

Here's the breakdown of my suggested Macros:
GRAMS per day: CARBS-68.5 PROTEIN-128.8 FAT-64.4 FIBER-32 - 40 =1369

Does this seem a little on point (to you IIFYM vets) or am I way off here. Seems like a lot of fat, carbs and protein actually (don't mind adding the protein).

Anyways, any suggestions would help shed light!

Thanks for reading :)

Replies

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    No one knows your actual BMR, not MFP, not IIFYM. These are just suggested guidelines. The only way to find your BMR is through trial and error.

Start with 1,369 calories per day. If you're not starting to see consistent weight loss after a month or so, drop it 10% or so.
  • dpaden25
    dpaden25 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    No one knows your actual BMR, not MFP, not IIFYM. These are just suggested guidelines. The only way to find your BMR is through trial and error.

Start with 1,369 calories per day. If you're not starting to see consistent weight loss after a month or so, drop it 10% or so.

Thanks! So when I'm doing the 'trial and error' do you typically drop all the numbers by 10% ish, or cut down on the carbs / fat? Just really nervous. In a month that could be a considerable gain for me.

Also, when I become more active (I chose sedentary due to my desk job) should you be increasing all or just the protein Macro?

Thanks for your help!
  • dpaden25
    Options
    Oh! And just to be clear, you can track the exercise calories in MFP without having to add them back as calories? Correct ?
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is what really determines weight loss. As a default, I would cut macros by 10% across the board.

I don't track exercise in MFP, so I can't answer your second question.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What kind of exercise routine do you have? If you follow a TDEE model, you should include it into the exercise factor as it raises your calorie requirements.

Also, slight correct, trial and error will allow you to figure out your TDEE, not your BMR. Only metabolic test will allow you to understand your RMR.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    if you follow IIFYM your exercise is already accounted for in your daily macros so there is no need to track exercise or adjust macros based on whether or not you have exercised
  • dpaden25
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    if you follow IIFYM your exercise is already accounted for in your daily macros so there is no need to track exercise or adjust macros based on whether or not you have exercised

Thanks!
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It took me about 1 month to really understand IIFYM/Flexible dieting. I couldn't possibly type up everything I know but my advice to you is to keep researching and keep asking questions. Look up videos on YouTube and search the hashtag on Instagram (better yet, follow them and see how they manage IIFYM.) Once you get the idea of it, you'll never want to go back to whatever it is you were doing.

Current weight: 130
    Height: 5ft 7inch
    Current daily calorie intake: 1940
    Current macro set up (please find what works for you! don't copy anyone else): carbs 40%/ fat 30%/ Protein 30%
    Goals:
    Lose body fat, gain muscle mass (this is called recomp. IT REQUIRES PATIENCE!)
    See abs

Method of measurement:
    Progress Pictures
    The way my clothes fit
    Weight scale only to make sure I am eating enough
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    What is your exercise like? I plugged in your stats, and the only way I can force it to a target close to 1300 calories is to put you as sendentary with 0 exercise. Generally speaking, you want your calorie goal to be no more than 20% less that your TDEE. Are you selecting your target based on TDEE or BMR? If you are lightly active (light exercise, 5 days per week, 30 minutes per day) your target for weight loss would actually be closer to 1500.
  • dpaden25
    Options
    It took me about 1 month to really understand IIFYM/Flexible dieting. I couldn't possibly type up everything I know but my advice to you is to keep researching and keep asking questions. Look up videos on YouTube and search the hashtag on Instagram (better yet, follow them and see how they manage IIFYM.) Once you get the idea of it, you'll never want to go back to whatever it is you were doing.

Current weight: 130
    Height: 5ft 7inch
    Current daily calorie intake: 1940
    Current macro set up (please find what works for you! don't copy anyone else): carbs 40%/ fat 30%/ Protein 30%
    Goals:
    Lose body fat, gain muscle mass (this is called recomp. IT REQUIRES PATIENCE!)
    See abs

Method of measurement:
    Progress Pictures
    The way my clothes fit
    Weight scale only to make sure I am eating enough

Thanks! NEVER thought about IG *heads there now*
  • dpaden25
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    What is your exercise like? I plugged in your stats, and the only way I can force it to a target close to 1300 calories is to put you as sendentary with 0 exercise. Generally speaking, you want your calorie goal to be no more than 20% less that your TDEE. Are you selecting your target based on TDEE or BMR? If you are lightly active (light exercise, 5 days per week, 30 minutes per day) your target for weight loss would actually be closer to 1500.

I did base it on 0 hours sedentary ,b/c I am mostly at my desk all day. Most days. When I do get out, it's light. I'm hoping to start some resistance training soon with a PT I'm hiring so when that changes, I'm guessing I'll increase calories in.
  • dpaden25
    Options
    UPDATE: Tried this for one day, and I realized I'm getting in WAY to many carbs based on IIFYM. MFP allows much more in this area. I've never tried low carb, but I really feel like it's my trouble area.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    dpaden25 wrote: »
    Good Morning! So, like many others, I have been researching the IIFYM plan, and really want to give it a try! Problem is, even upon massive research, I'm still confused on how it works. I'm currently 160 lbs 5'4 and really trying to lose around 30-35 lbs. Of course MFP, has me at 1200 calories per day. According to online IIFYM.com it's suggesting over 1300. I'm okay with that, as long as I'm on the right track here. You can see where I would be nervous here. So I was wondering if anyone here has similar goals or HAD these goals, used IIFYM, or currently using, would be so kind to be friends so I could follow eating patterns or get an idea of how you all eat on this plan?

Here's the breakdown of my suggested Macros:
    GRAMS per day: CARBS-68.5 PROTEIN-128.8 FAT-64.4 FIBER-32 - 40 =1369

Does this seem a little on point (to you IIFYM vets) or am I way off here. Seems like a lot of fat, carbs and protein actually (don't mind adding the protein).

Anyways, any suggestions would help shed light!

Thanks for reading :)

You won't gain on 13-something assuming it's logged correctly. The reason you get more than for MFP is: (1) most people say 2 lbs for MFP (which subtracts 1000 calories off maintenance). IIFYM is usually based on -20%, which for someone of your stats is going to be more like 1 lb/week. But it's a difference in how fast you lose (and not a huge one, as it looks like even MFP cannot give you 2 lbs/week really, which is not surprising given your stats -- I'm 5'3, so I'm used to that!). (2) MFP gives you a goal for if you do NO exercise and then you add more calories when you do. IIFYM includes the exercise. So often it ends up at the same number, just averaged over the week and not higher on exercise days.

I think the IIFYM number looks good if a little low if you do exercise. The macros look fine, but IIFYM.com has a method of doing macros that has nothing to do with the broader concept of IIFYM or flexible dieting where you choose your macros based on your goals. For example, there's no real need to have protein quite so high, although many find it satiating so it wouldn't hurt to try it there. You could also eat higher carbs if you felt better doing that. You figure out what macros work best for you. Got to start with something, though, so see how you like it!
  • dpaden25
    edited August 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote:

You won't gain on 13-something assuming it's logged correctly. The reason you get more than for MFP is: (1) most people say 2 lbs for MFP (which subtracts 1000 calories off maintenance). IIFYM is usually based on -20%, which for someone of your stats is going to be more like 1 lb/week. But it's a difference in how fast you lose (and not a huge one, as it looks like even MFP cannot give you 2 lbs/week really, which is not surprising given your stats -- I'm 5'3, so I'm used to that!). (2) MFP gives you a goal for if you do NO exercise and then you add more calories when you do. IIFYM includes the exercise. So often it ends up at the same number, just averaged over the week and not higher on exercise days.

I think the IIFYM number looks good if a little low if you do exercise. The macros look fine, but IIFYM.com has a method of doing macros that has nothing to do with the broader concept of IIFYM or flexible dieting where you choose your macros based on your goals. For example, there's no real need to have protein quite so high, although many find it satiating so it wouldn't hurt to try it there. You could also eat higher carbs if you felt better doing that. You figure out what macros work best for you. Got to start with something, though, so see how you like it!

Thanks! That really helps! Just worried about any gain, and based on how it went yesterday, I'm going to try to up my protein and down the carbs a bit!
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    @dpanden25 IIFYM seems to puts everyone at 50% carbs, 25% protein, 25% fat.
    Everyone is different and that works for some people. Check out hunnybunsfit on instagram.
    She looks amazing and she follows IIFYM. She also has a youtube channel. She does a video documentary of a full day of eating and hits 300+ carbs. That number alone is scary to me lol.
    You gotta play with numbers and see what works for you.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" 142lbs and currently using iifym to drop another 10 pounds of fat.

I'm doing 4 days of strength training with two of those days a 20 min HIIT session after the weights. On my workout days I eat 1700 calories with macros at 135g protein, 210g carbs, and 70g fat (estimates), and rest days I eat 1450 with 135g protein, 80g fat, and 100g or a bit less carbs (estimates again). I am sedentary the rest of the time. I lost 5ish pounds in the first month on this.
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I'm close to your size and am doing iifym. I also lift heavy 4 days a week and fit cardio in about 2 days or so.

Best advice I can give you is stuck with macros for a couple of weeks before adjusting. You need to give your body time to react. I have been doing it for about 2 months and just figured out my calories/ macro magic formula. I learned through trial and error that I actually needed a bit less calories than most calculators put me at and do better with higher protein. So far on iifym, I have lost about 6 lbs in the last couple of months.

That's just what works for me, good luck.
  • mmarie_3
    mmarie_3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Honestly I struggled with IIFYM for about a year until I went to a coach and she did my numbers for me!!! I've lost a lot of weight in the mean time but I was having a hard time getting the final layer of fat off. I'm 5'4", 140, and I do 190 protein, 85 carb, 36 fat. She customizes it to your body type (there are different body types and different ways your body holds on to fat, builds muscle, etc. I've only done it about 10 days and am already seeing major difference in body comp and weight loss. Follow me if you'd like :)
  • mmarie_3
    mmarie_3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Also while you need a caloric baseline, with IIFYM counting macro grams is paramount to calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    mmarie_3 wrote: »
    Honestly I struggled with IIFYM for about a year until I went to a coach and she did my numbers for me!!! I've lost a lot of weight in the mean time but I was having a hard time getting the final layer of fat off. I'm 5'4", 140, and I do 190 protein, 85 carb, 36 fat. She customizes it to your body type (there are different body types and different ways your body holds on to fat, builds muscle, etc. I've only done it about 10 days and am already seeing major difference in body comp and weight loss. Follow me if you'd like :)

Why so much protein? That is way more than one needs, especially at 140 lbs. That studies suggest only needing .8 to 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. Outside of thay and its not benefit. Personally, i wouldnt put you over 120g of protein. I would balance out your carbs and fats mores. Fats help regulate hormonal functions while carbs protein energy but also aid in muscle recovery.