Anyone else retain water like a camel ?

Options
Or am I the only one? It really screws with my scale I have to do a before an after

Replies

• myspirit650
    myspirit650 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am. I have an apple body shape and I just learned that people with this body type often have problems with water retention. So now in addition to monitoring my caloric intake, I will now be looking at sodium as well.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yup, I bloat like a mofo. My fingers end up like puffy, painful sausages and I get cankles.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Me! I have now discovered I puff up like a blimp when I run too. Went for a run this morning, came home and needed to quickly pick up a parcel. Put on my jeans and like WTF jeans! You fit fine two days ago! Then realised running puff was a thing. Fun.

So yeah, I take what the scale says mostly with a pinch of salt as it fluctuates wildly, Tuesdays are generally my low day I've discovered, for whatever reason.

As for flying, oh man the old lady cankles............
  • TiaGia101
    TiaGia101 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. I try to eat low salt but I swell up for days after a work out too
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Yep, it seems everything and anything causes me to retain water; my scale can fluctuate by 5lbs on any given day!
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    me too, sodium and hormones make me fluctuate like crazy. It takes me a whole week to get back to normal after 1 restaurant meal. Drives me crazy !!
  • dinsfamily
    dinsfamily Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yes, between working out and having a high sodium day, I can puff up like a marshmallow. Last night my fingers and ankles felt huge and uncomfortable. I'm looking forward to a week of normal at-home eating and seeing the scale go down as the water weight goes away. At least I don't freak out at the scale anymore.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I had some alcohol and a meal out at the start of last week but overall was within my allowance at the end. I'm still 2lbs up! Plus I'm doing more running now so more retention. I expect the scale will say the same for at least another week or so.

I think this mornings mostly belly puff (I mean really, my belly of all places after running!?) has died down a bit.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Me! Exercise seems to be the primary culprit for me. Even my rings get tight! I drink litres of water, keep an eye on my sodium but still retain so much water. I fluctuate heaps and I often only see a major drop on the scale after two rest days.
  • TheGreenRanger666
    TheGreenRanger666 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Glad to see it isn't just me
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that, as I've gotten leaner, the size (# pounds) of my water weight fluctuations have increased.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Struggling with this myself at the moment - so glad to see I'm not the only one. It gets so frustrating.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Checks back, no humps. Guess not.
  • House_Cow
    House_Cow Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hah yeah, that's why I lowered my sodium goal a bit because I just seem so damn sensitive to salt bloating -.-
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I gain water if I even look at the salt grinder or barbells. I once gained 18 pounds in 3 days while in the hospital bedridden on a soft diet. It's crazy!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Checks back, no humps. Guess not.

Yeah but can you drink 50 gallons of water in three minutes? That's what camels can do.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    yes, yes. I'm a water magnet.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Yup, I bloat like a mofo. My fingers end up like puffy, painful sausages and I get cankles.

OMG! This is so me. lol I use to take a prescription hydro pill for my blood pressure, but once I lost the weight I had to continue taking it because I still retain so much water that my ankles will swell so much that they hurt to walk or even rotate and my fingers will swell tight with my rings leaving indentations.

Heat causes me to retain even more water and with the summer heat I am horribly bloated if I don't take my hydro pills. I forgot to take my pills over the weekend and by yesterday, I was up about 8 pounds from fluid retention and my ankles and feet hurt severely. :(

jemhh wrote: »
    I have noticed that, as I've gotten leaner, the size (# pounds) of my water weight fluctuations have increased.

And this. The lower my weight the worse the bloating. Ugh!

• afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    I recently had a gain of 4 pounds after a couple weeks of slow losses. I knew it wasn't a real gain. I lost 6 pounds overnight, and then an additional 9 pounds throughout the week. It was crazy and most likely related to my menstrual cycle.
  • sunkissmarie
    sunkissmarie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is certain foods u are eating