Servings in a Recipe

Options
PhotoGal50131
PhotoGal50131 Posts: 5 Member
I made hummus last night and I don't know how many servings are in the batch. I'm sure it's easy to calculate, if someone could just tell me. I don't want to measure out 2 tablespoons for each serving, over and over again.

Suggestions? I have this issue with a lot of my recipes unless we eat the whole thing I made (2 servings). :)

Replies

• dearmrsowl
    dearmrsowl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    What I did with my hummus is that I weighed the end product and but that as the number of portions in the recipe builder. Then every time I eat some of it I weigh my portion and put the number of grams as the number of portions I ate. That is the easiest way to know exactly how much you ate, especially since measuring things like hummus in anything else but grams can lead to very incorrect measuring and therefore to an incorrect number of calories.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Just meansure it once, into something like saucer that has the little dent in the middle to help hold the cup. Note how much hummus covers the saucer and do the same next time.

Also, if you used say 8 ounces of beans, check out other recipes that give serving sizes. Of course, that would mean that you would only know what THEY considered a serving size to be.

P.S. Can you freeze it? If so, consider putting it in cupcake pappers in a muffin tin and freezing individually so you can pull out single portions. I would try it with at least one serving to see how it works. If you hummus turns to a runny mess, at least you would have only lost one serving. I cook like that a lot and pull out single servings as I have a yen for them.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I made hummus last night and I don't know how many servings are in the batch. I'm sure it's easy to calculate, if someone could just tell me. I don't want to measure out 2 tablespoons for each serving, over and over again.

Suggestions? I have this issue with a lot of my recipes unless we eat the whole thing I made (2 servings). :)

Guess, at first, and then keep track of how many servings it acutually served. That would be your number, adjust accordingly. What I like is you adjust your number of servnings per recipe and then adjust the number of "servings" you had. Fractional servings down to an eighth. You get to "fudge" to correctness on either end.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I always weight everything in grams and make 1g/portion. So, if I eat 20 grams, I put it in as 20 servings. I do that with any casserole I make or taco meat or things like dips. I also did my green tea recipe in oz. and just add up how many oz I drank. It works for me because my husband its dieting, so he eats more than a guesstimated portion, so I have leave the actual portions out of the equation, and go by how many oz or grams I eat.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    When I make a recipe, I start out entering 1 serving for the entire recipe in the recipe builder. Then I look at the actual finished product and figure out how many actual servings I can expect to get out of it. It helps to weigh the bowl and note down the weight before making the recipe so you can subtract it when you weigh the finished product to get the actual weight per serving.

If I am making a soup or stew, I assume 4-6 oz of meat per serving so if I use 1 lb to 1.25 lb of meat, it is automatically 4 servings.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options

For something like hummus, If intended to eat 2 tablespoons at a time I'd make the servings 1 ounce or 32 grams. It's also handy to included the weight or volume of the servings you entered for each recipe as part of the recipe name. ie "Tomato sauce per cup" or "Hummus per ounce" It's easier to weigh 1 ounce per serving than measure 2 Tbsp. No extra dishes to wash. If it's too much trouble to weigh or measure portions then I don't know what to say. If the problem is no scale, my suggestion is to break down and get a scale.