Points v Calories

Options
I used Weightwatchers a few years ago and lost weight with their points system where calories are never mentioned. Has anyone else done weightwatchers and if so which is best, calorie counting or point counting?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Well, you're at a site that revolves around calorie counting, so you're unlikely to get a random sample of responses.

What is best is what works for you. Did Weight Watchers work for you?
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Well, you're at a site that revolves around calorie counting, so you're unlikely to get a random sample of responses.

What is best is what works for you. Did Weight Watchers work for you?

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I haved used both and they are both basically the same except Weightwatchers gives you freebies with veggies a lot of the time. Mfp does not. I have been more successful on MFP because it is free so I keep at it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I did WW in the past. It was fine but I prefer counting calories. WW used to use an easy formula to determine points so I could do it in my head if I didn't have a points slider or calculator. But then they changed the formula and doing the math in my head was too confusing. Either way, though, I prefer counting calories.
  • suziecue20
    Options
    Yes it did work for me, I lost 2 1/2 stone (35lbs) but I think it was due to me realising that just because WW make fruit and veg 'free' foods doesn't mean I could eat umpteen bananas a day and still lose weight. There were people on WW who were doing just that and not making any headway. With calorie counting you know exactly where you are - you've either achieved a calorie deficit or you haven't.
  • ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I think they are similar if you pay attention to what type of foods you are getting your calories from. I am familiar with weight watchers and my mom has lost 50 lb. since January by counting points.
  • SeriouslySta
    SeriouslySta Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I think the MFP system is better, as it gives you a more rounded and realistic idea of what you are eating, and encourages 'better' choices. (Can't tell you how often I've heard "No way I am going to eat a banana for 2 points, if I can have 2 Kisses instead!" ) To me, MFP is also more sustainable in the long run.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've personally never done WW, but I feel like in a way points are calories. Think about it - foods which are higher in points are probably also higher in calories.

WW has recently (started with the Jennifer Hudson advertising campaign I believe) stated you can have anything you want, as long as it fits into your points. And for calories (and weight loss) you can eat any and all types of food, but if you want to lose weight then your total consumed has to be less than you're total expenditure, or CI < CO. If you're looking for a nutrition component too, then it becomes a different story but if you're mostly concerned with weight loss it can be as simple as CI < CO.

A friend of mine signed up for WW about a year ago. At that time she was very large and so her points limit was set pretty high. But someone else who joined only had about 20lbs to lose and her points limit was much lower. With this in mind, it seems to me like the points system is simplifying calorie counting for you. Maybe it is more complex than this - again I've never done it - but from what I've heard and understood from how this program works is that it is counting calories but just in a way that doesn't seem like it.

You're only allowed so many points in a day - and how you fill those points is totally your call. You're really only allowed so many calories in a day before you will start to have a surplus - leading eventually to weight gain if it's continued over a substantial period of time. If you eat more points than you're allowed, you will also gain weight if it's continued over time. Now I'm sure the points you're allowed accounts for some kind of deficit so you're not eating at maintenance necessarily, but the thinking seems to be relatively the same from how I look at it.

Again, maybe it is more complex than I'm making it out to be so if that's the case then my apologies but I just feel like you will be doing the same thing as you did on WW just at a more granular level.

ETA: Although with MFP you're not paying to sit there and have someone tell you how to eat. If you feel it's easier for you to have someone design the program then by all means. But for me, going to meetings to talk about what I ate, how I feel, what my struggles were, etc etc is not the right path and it would not benefit me very much. I feel like MFP is freer in that you can understand what it is you're eating rather than equating foods with points.

I have had so many women look at what I eat for lunch and say do you have any idea how many points that is? I personally don't want to look at food at see 5 points, 7 points, 105473738 points. I want to look at food, understand it's nutritional (or lack there of) value and then make an informed decision on whether I want to eat it. I work out 5-6 days/week, so my nutritional needs are not the same as those who do not work out. Further, I am a runner and recently started cross fit. My nutritional needs are neither the same as someone who is solely a runner or someone who is solely a cross-fit athlete.

For me, there's been so much more value in understanding what I put into my body rather than entering some information into WW and them spitting out a points value to me. So I think it will come down to what is the right path for you, what is best for you.
  • fruitsalad15
    fruitsalad15 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If you attend meeting WW can give you accountability that you may not find on MFP but they are basically the same, fill up on 'free' foods int he same way that if you eat more veg and log it on MFP you can have a great big plate of food for hardly any Calories. I have done both and both worked but MFP was free!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    On MFP, most people will say that calorie counting is better. On WW, most will say that WW is better.

What's really better is the thing you like more. There are many ways to lose weight, so just pick the one you like best and go with that. :)

If you want to know what you're eating, tracking your food - including the micros! - will help you learn that. You learn a lot about your diet when you track your micros!
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I prefer knowing how many calories I consume verses the points, where the fruit and some vegetables are free points.
  • suziecue20
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    On MFP, most people will say that calorie counting is better. On WW, most will say that WW is better.

What's really better is the thing you like more. There are many ways to lose weight, so just pick the one you like best and go with that. :)

If you want to know what you're eating, tracking your food - including the micros! - will help you learn that. You learn a lot about your diet when you track your micros!

Sorry but what do you mean by micros?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Vitamins and minerals.
  • suziecue20
    Options
    Vitamins and minerals.

Ta :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »

Sorry but what do you mean by micros?

Yes, the micronutrients. Every bit as important as macros, just required in smaller amounts. :)
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I lost 106 pounds on WW and I know several others who lost more than 100 on it so it certainly works if you follow the plan, the same as MFP. I had to quit WW before reaching my goal because of financial reasons even though I was so very close to my goal. I recently found a really awesome app called Ultimate Food Diary and it's WW only this app it better than the WW app. I tend to switch back and forth between WW and MFP. I find I eat way more healthy when I am doing WW. But sometimes it's easier to count calories and other times I want to count points. Again, follow the plan on either program and you will get results!
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I have done both. The thing a lot of people like about WW is the banking of points, so you can have a really high day. I dunno, I prefer the calorie counting here. I love how when I exercise, it gives me more calories for the day. And the database is huge, plus I love to import recipes from Pinterest and other sites. The MFP mobile app is really good too (I have it on my phone and my tablet).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    I've done both and prefer MFP, but like Tex says, you're not going to get a random sample of responses here on MFP.

My WW group was at my work, a liberal arts college, and I did enjoy the social and accountability aspect of it, but found the nutritional beliefs lame and/or lacking.
  • suziecue20
    Options
    1shauna1 wrote: »
    I have done both. The thing a lot of people like about WW is the banking of points, so you can have a really high day. I dunno, I prefer the calorie counting here. I love how when I exercise, it gives me more calories for the day. And the database is huge, plus I love to import recipes from Pinterest and other sites. The MFP mobile app is really good too (I have it on my phone and my tablet).

One thing I have noticed on MFP is that I can input my own recipes to know the calories but unlike WW there is no section for accessing loads of healthy recipes but this is a free site and WW were charging me £12 a month so mustn't grumble.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    1shauna1 wrote: »

Many people do the same thing with MFP. There is no reason you can't bank calories the same as points.