Day 11 with no weight loss

Options
Title explains it all. I have been eating less than 1860 calories a day for 11 days and have not lost a pound. Any ideas?

Replies

• randisaucier
    randisaucier Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Truly wish I had some insight. I have been stuck at the same weight for a month, even despite major switching my plan up 9 days ago and have yet to see the scale budge. Hopefully someone has a great advice for you and I both!
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    We're gonna need some more info in order to give any real advice. Ideally, you could open up your diary so we can see what you've been eating and what exercise you've been doing. Anything else would just be guessing.
  • skissel778
    Options
    Diary is now open.
  • WeightLossTrek
    Options
    1st quick observation is WAY too many carbs. Go to a 40/40/20 split of Carbs/Protein/Fat.
  • wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am unable to look at your diary! What types of food are you eating? How much water do you drink? Are you exercising at all? Message me if you'd like and I'll see what I can do to help!
  • azdisneymama
    azdisneymama Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter what you eat if you stay under your cal count? And.. if you stay under your cal count and skip your exercise will you still lose the weight?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    How do you measure your portions? The more precise you are, the more accurate your calorie calculations will be. Small errors will add up very quickly.

What were your initial settings for activity level? That may make a difference as well. If you set your activity level too high your calories will be too high. Your activity level is only supposed to be what you usually do in a day.

Are you on any medications? Some medications really hinder weight loss.

What sort of exercise are you doing?

Looking at your food diary, my first suggestion would be that you need to stop eating out so much. While calorie counts from various restaurants are usually fairly accurate, they are not always as accurate as you need. Add fiber and sodium to the nutrients you can see as my guess is you need more fiber and less sodium.
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Let me apologize in advance, but I'm going to be brutally honest with you since you asked for advice. You're eating habits seem to be out of whack. You eat WAY too much fast food. You skip too many meals. Your diary is full of Chick-Fil-A, McDonalds, Chipotle, Pizza, Subway, etc. I would imagine your sodium intake is OFF THE CHARTS because of these choices.

In addition, on many days you're not getting close to eating all your calories. If you filled out your goals correctly on MFP, you should be eating the number of calories that is generated for you, or VERY CLOSE. Like within 100 or so. And if you exercise and burn a bunch of extra calories, you should be eating those too, IN ADDITION to the regular daily allowance.

You need to evaluate your food choices, and eat more nutritious meals on a regular schedule to support your metabolism and burn away the fat you want to burn. You need to invest some time into preparing fresh whole foods for yourself instead of relying on fast food restaurants for your nutrition.

You should also start a regular exercise routine that combines both weight training and cardio, in order to preserve the lean muscle you already have and burn away the fat.

Please take all this as constructive criticism/advice. Hopefully you can take some positive motivation from it... Good luck!
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I notice that you eat a lot of fast food, sometimes the calories on that can be inaccurate. Also they are very high in sodium, you might want to set your diary to count sodium. You might be better off to eat healthier choices instead of the processed foods.
  • wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    ugartegirl-It is super important what you eat! If I was eating no fruits and vegies and just carbs all day, your body would not react well to it! You need the proper nutrition! It is important that to make every calorie count.
    You MAY lose weight if you stay under your calorie count, but not exercise. You will not get great results though. Plus your body needs exercise. We need to take care of our bodies!

I hope this helps! :)
  • skissel778
    Options
    Not an excuse for eating out so much but I am a police officer and sometimes work from 630am-830pm without being able to go home and get a healthy bite to eat. I understand I need to cut out the fast foods but I've cut on average 600-800 calories a day.
  • WeightLossTrek
    Options
    I recommend taking a cooler with you packed with healthy meals you can have during the day.
  • ThermalYew1
    ThermalYew1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Body Fat Monitor! I am telling you focus on that! I have and I've been 100x happier since forgetting the scale!
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    pack a mini cooler with healthy stuff and skip the junk

give it a week with prepacked meals and snacks and then see how you do it couldn't hurt
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I recommend taking a cooler with you packed with healthy meals you can have during the day.

I agree with this!
  • antonio823
    antonio823 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Hi, Mike523 and mom23nuts both are giving good advice. My mom works for the Post Office and she is having sort of the same problem however she eats pretty healthy. I explained to her that she has to develop a schedule and not miss meals and quit eating late at night. I understand you're a police officer so when you have to grab food out may I suggest that you go online and look at the nutritional value of the foods from a couple of those places. I found that altough it's not as healthy as eating from home that you can find a semi decent salad or some other healthier food. Pack a cooler with fruits, yogurt, and other healthy foods. If you're walking at work you can't count that as exercise because your body is accostumed to that, you must find time to perform a cardio workout in addition. I began by walking but I walk anywhere between 30 to 120 minutes. You can do it just don't skip meals and make sure you work out! MFP has a lot of helpful information and there are a lot of great people who are willing to provide support. Good luck!
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau and was stuck at same number for most of the month of May. I changed my exercise routine, reevaluated my goals (increased calories) and made sure I was drinking more water. The scale has begun the downward trend. Feel free to send me a message or add me as a friend.
  • kaypee65
    kaypee65 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It can be difficult to change all of our daily habits; and everyone had limitations on what they can do.

Instead of hitting the fast food stands, hit a convenient grocery store. You can buy prepared fruits, salads, sushi, hummus - all sorts of very healthy choices. It shouldn't take any more time that the McDonald's drive through, but you'll be getting helthier food.
  • pedalpusher5
    Options
    First off, before I comment on your question, I would like to thank you for your service out on the streets. It takes a special person to go out and do what you do everyday, knowing the sacrifice it might require. You are appreciated.

As for the weight loss question, I just have to chime in with what the others have been saying and say that what you eat is so important, it really is about more than just calories. Our bodies do not process all calories in the same way.

Fats are the most concentrated form of energy our body takes in, but because glucose and not fat is the body's preferred energy source, fats are generally stored first. And the fats contained in fast food are generally not the "healthy" variety that our body requires.

Carbs are extremely easy for our bodies to assimilate into sugar. While they are great for fuel for energy, processed carbs don't give you much bang for your buck in the nutrition department. Complex carbs, on the other hand, like the ones you get from whole grains and veggies, use up more energy to digest, take longer to digest therefore giving you a full feeling longer and keeping blood sugar level longer, and give you essential nutrients you need to build your body. Good lean proteins are essential for preserving and building muscle tissue and also will keep you feeling satisfied longer than most other foods.

Sodium will not only cause water retention, but it is just plain dangerous in large amounts.

And there is no skirting around the exercise issue. Cardio is important for your heart and lungs, quick calorie burns and giving your metabolism a temporary boost. But it's the strength exercises that can make the most profound and long lasting changes to, not only your body composition and appearance, but also to your weight loss efforts. Fat is metabolically passive in your body. But muscle tissue is metabolically active, it burns 6 calories per pound a day, as opposed to 2 calories per pound a day for fat tissue. So the more muscle tissue you have, the more calories you will be burning at all times, even at rest. Doing your weight training in circuit style can also give you cardio benefits. Normal loss of muscle tissue starts at about age 30, so as we age, losing weight becomes more difficult.

As someone else brought up, eating enough is just as important as eating too much.

It all works together, eating the PROPER amount of the right balance of types of wholesome nutritious foods, and exercise to create proper body composition will all work together to give you the results you are looking for.

Best of luck to you!!