Injured, unable to work out

Options
Hi all!
I'm new on here, so first of all, hello! I hope that this website will hold me accountable for my snacking habits and occasional overindulging. I've gained about 5 pounds since moving in with my boyfriend... call it the comfort layer? :) Anyway, I'm still well within normal weight range (138 and 5' 81/2") but I know that certain clothes used to fit me better!

I'm moderately active on the normal week, working out about 4 times/week for an hour per workout. I'm a runner and just ran a 5K on Sunday. I was injured Sunday night, however, landing on my back after a 6 foot fall. Needless to say, I'm in a great deal of pain, though nothing is broken.

The reason for sharing this with you all, is I was wondering if there was a good way to still exercise without exacerbating the injury? I am crawling in my skin here and hate not being active! Please let me know if there are any safe alternatives to making sure my fitness doesn't fall to the wayside during my healing process. Thanks!

Laurie

Replies

• CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Not sure what exactly your injury is (back?) but try swimming one of the best all around exercises and low impact.....Or hey why not ask your doctor.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Wow, so glad you are not hurt any worse! I think once you can you could start some chair exercises. You can find lots on the interent and even you tube. Almost no impact, but make sure you don't start before you or your doctor says you are ready and don't over do it. You have to let your body heal too.

Feel better and soon you will be back running!

Take Care!
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    let your body heal, as it's your back most things will make it hurt more
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Talk to a MD about your injury..
    RICE - rest, ice, compression, elevation -- hope you've been doing this (depending upon injury)

I've been taking Super Cissus for knee problems (after seeing an MD) and I believe that it's faciliated my recovery.
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    Physical therapy for your back should do the trick. Ask your therapist what else you can do. I'd strongly recommend seeking a qualified opinion on it if you're "Injured" rather than simply "hurt". If you are just "hurt", then either suck it up and deal with it & do what you can (like, walk instead of jog, etc), or wait until it stops hurting.
  • RLastInstallment
    Options
    I second physical therapy. Get a recommendation from your family doctor. I had a bad fall in Feb of '10, and went about eight months waiting for it to "pass." Eventually I sucked it up and went to PT; helped tremendously. They'll keep those muscles in your back working and stretching so that you're not in a state of shock when you can get back to running.
  • misca0812
    misca0812 Posts: 2
    Options
    i have also faces this problem and i did weights to help build my upper body when the tendon in my foot snapped this helped me a lot because i improved at my volleyball games, and i got nice toned arms, but only do this if your doctor says you can and it will not harm anything else.
  • LaurieBLouise
    LaurieBLouise Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! :)