Englishman In New York

Options
I am a 36 year old, work from home Dad with 2 little ones, I am originally from the UK but now live in the US. I am 6ft tall but 230 pounds. I don't want to blame the US but before I came here I did see my self as being healthy and was much lighter. I am not sure how much weight I need to loose I just know I need to loose it and a lot of it

Having 2 young one's I have found it very hard to get to a gym, as to find someone to look after them for a hour or two is not easy. Thanks to Craig's List I was able to pickup a few gym items from a seller who was getting rid of them. I started running on a tread mill last week and started C25K and hope to run in one next year.

I need to find a group that we can work together and talk about our ups and downs and our goals. Having a mentor would be great as I need advise and guidance in terms of eating and calories.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Do you take tea my dear?
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! if you need friends to motivate and support you add me. I'm in need of a few active ones myself.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    SimonT181 wrote: »
    I am 6ft tall but 230 pounds. I need advise and guidance in terms of eating and calories.

Welcome. Hands down, the best weight-loss advice I ever received was to read the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Exercise for fitness; log to lose weight.

Do you live in the city, or upstate? I live in Connecticut, and I can walk up to 35,000 steps (15 miles) per day in the city. NYC is one of the easiest places in the US to lose weight.
  • SimonT181
    SimonT181 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Welcome!! Do you take tea my dear?
    "I don't drink coffee I take tea my dear", with milk and sugar but every one around here thinks tea should be served with ice and looks at me kind of funny when I ask for it.

"I like my toast done on one side" but normally I have cereal for breakfast I need to start logging so will start looking for some good diary keepers to guide me.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I am 6ft tall but 230 pounds. I need advise and guidance in terms of eating and calories.

Welcome. Hands down, the best weight-loss advice I ever received was to read the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Exercise for fitness; log to lose weight.

Do you live in the city, or upstate? I live in Connecticut, and I can walk up to 35,000 steps (15 miles) per day in the city. NYC is one of the easiest places in the US to lose weight.

I live here and still struggle thank you very much.
  • SimonT181
    Options

I did live in NYC but now I live in the Midwest, out in the sticks with cows replacing taxi cabs and lots of trees replacing tower blocks. For me this is where I came to start a family, I have lived all over the world but came here about 5 years ago and knew this was home.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm sorry I derailed your thread with my remark about NYC being walkable. (I knew I should've gone with "aren't American serving sizes huge.")

Is bread that's toasted on one side a thing?
  • SimonT181
    edited August 2015
    Options
    OP, I'm sorry I derailed your thread with my remark about NYC being walkable. (I knew I should've gone with "aren't American serving sizes huge.")

Hi editorgrrl it is the second line of the song "Englishman In New York" a 1988 pop song by Sting

I don't drink coffee I take tea my dear
    I like my toast done on one side
    And you can hear it in my accent when I talk
    I'm an Englishman in New York

Back in the day we English use to make toast over the fire with a toasting fork and you would normally only toast one side. Now like most other countries we do use toasters but I was posting in the theme of the original title of this post.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Hi editorgrrl it is the second line of the song "Englishman In New York" a 1988 pop song by Sting

I don't drink coffee I take tea my dear
    I like my toast done on one side
    And you can hear it in my accent when I talk
    I'm an Englishman in New York

Back in the day we English use to make toast over the fire with a toasting fork and you would normally only toast one side. Now like most other countries we do use toasters but I was posting in the theme of the original title of this post.

<3
  • AlecB62
    AlecB62 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hi Simon,

An Englishman living in Surrey UK here.
    I'm 6ft tall and was 229 pounds when I started logging my food on here, started out aiming for a loss of 0.5kg a week but found that I was constantly coming in under my goal of 1780 calories so upped my game to 0.75kg a week, this gave me a target of 1500 calories. I can achieve this fairly easily. 3 months later and I'm at 204 pounds.
    I have set a target of 185 pounds so another stone and a half to go, this will put me at the top end of "healthy" on the BMI calculator.
    It's important to log accurately and I weigh my food wherever possible, obviously not easy when eating out.
    I like a drink or two and still manage to squeeze a couple of glasses of wine or a G&T in on a regular basis.
  • lejoie
    lejoie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    hey! I totally get your thoughts on America contributing to weight gain. when I lived in Belgium, I ate a lot of really unhealthy stuff but managed to stay small. in the states, I gained weight pretty quickly. I've finally got a handle on my weight and would love to be a friend and motivator if you need it!
  • SimonT181
    Options
    Thanks tweaker,Jaynesje
    In terms of calories 1500 does seem low a few weeks ago I am sure when I was looking at other apps it was saying I needed 1800+ so I was surprised when it showed the 1500 range for me as well. But I am going to try and go for it and see how I do.