Emotional Eater

Options
Anyone else out there an emotional eater? I eat when I'm stressed! I find the worst is when I'm at work. I try to keep healthy snacks in my office so I don't go for the junk food. How do you deal with emotional eating???

Replies

• Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Me too!

I don't buy "snacks" anymore. I have my planned food per day and I try to eat things that take me a while to eat, and I try to eat lots of little "tastes" of things to keep my brain happy instead of large portions of one thing. Keep things flavorful and interesting. Really savor each bite, and try to not eat at the computer. If you need a piece of dark chocolate, go for it, but really enjoy that one piece and see how your mood has changed. Then get on with life =)
  • brandyrocs
    brandyrocs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I plan out all my snacks and meals for the day. It keeps from from grabbing something I shouldnt. Even being a emotional eater I find it helps. Quest cookie dough bar are perfect for when I am craving junk food.
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I buy my snacks in individual portion sizes - it's typically a bit more expensive, but keeps me from eating all the way to the bottom of the tub of ice cream, or through half a pound of trail mix. Also, are there any drinks that make you feel better? Coffee? Tea? I find a nice cup of tea when I'm emotional helps relax me almost as much as the food used to, and it's easy to keep in the office. Coffee with flavored creamer feels indulgent to me after a stressful day at work, too. Sure, it's got some sugar, but ~70 calories' worth of creamer is a lot better than 1000 calories' worth of binging.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I tend not to buy snacks at all, and I leave my cash at home so that I can't pop to the shop and get something, which was my real weakness for a long time (they don't take card under £5 so that worked for me). Plus, when I found that I enjoyed running to manage stress, that helped a lot. Is there anything you enjoy that helps you with stress, rather than eating?
  • missfitter
    missfitter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A cup of tea at work...great idea! I'll give it a try! I've been working hard to drink more water...a cup of herbal tea might be a nice change...thanks!
    I find I try to plan my food for work...and for the most part do alright. It's those "treat's" in the lunchroom and potluck a that do me in. I'm good if I don't even "sample".
    I've also been working hard to manage my stress better. I have a mental demanding and draining job. The more stress the more weight I've packed on.
    Time for a change I think!