Thyroid Disease

Options
Hello I am a 33 year old female, I had my entire thyroid removed two years ago due to complications with it. In the last two years I put on 75 pounds and the doctors keep saying it will come off when they figure out my dosage for medicine. Well its been two years and they are still trying. Is there anything I need to stay away from completely with having no thyroid or anything I can do special to help lose weight. I have never had such a hard time losing weight until now. It seems like nothing I do works. So I hope joining MFP will help.. Thanks in advance for any advice! Also I am new to MFP so if interested add me as a friend! Thanks :)

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Some people (like me) have a delightful time losing weight after the Synthroid gets straightened out. Others still can't. I'm not sure why your doctors would say that it will just happen. You'd have to ask them about it.

Two years is a long time to not have had this straightened out. Have you considered getting a second opinion from another endo? I think I would.
  • emmalpoppy
    emmalpoppy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Time for a new Endocrinologist. You may never lose the weight but a good endo would be trying different medications. Also if you are taking a generic, switch to name brand. How your body absorbs it makes a huge difference depending on manufacturer. Generic doesn't do crap for me but synthroid seems to help. Tirosint was the best but it is unaffordable for me.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Several people on the site with various thyroid issues, so you're in good company.

Complications? Was there impact on parathyroid? Two years is far too long to sort out levothyroxine dosage, but note you will have a more difficult time regulating hormones simply by being overweight.

What is your TSH level? Is it between 0.3-3.0? Did the docs request a full thyroid panel? Get those results and keep your own records - log this and compare notes with how you're feeling along with your MFP logs.

You can lose weight, but it may take longer - Synthroid or T4 supplement may help, but don't ever think of it as weight loss drug. The primary impact will always by diet and exercise.

From a personal note I did the same 15 years ago due to cancer and put on ~75 lbs over 15 years. Once I started logging my intake I lost >50 lbs over the last year using MFP.

Here are three of the most helpful links to the site:
    Most helpful posts:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177907/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

The famous "SexyPants" thread - possibly the best on the site:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Hypothyroidism group:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

Don't get discouraged - keep trying and never quit.
  • stacys29
    stacys29 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Complications- they found three tumors growing on my thyroid and yes the parathyroids came out as well. I have been on triostant - too expensive! And now they have Mr on generic synthoid 400 mg a day. They say all my levels are fine now and only want to see me every six months but I have all the low thyroid symptoms always..it is like they never go away. I did ask about armour thyroid hormone therapy and they said no they don't use that. I'm thinking time to change endo doc's. It is frustrating....
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    My thyroid came out, too. It was about two weeks from diagnosis to surgery - had to see an endo, surgeon, cardiologist, cardiology testing and get scheduled, so two weeks really wasn't all that long, but I never had the chance to take Synthroid while I had a thyroid and can't say if it would've been easier that way.

Anyway, I've lost 89 pounds since it came out.

You should get that second opinion.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I got my Dr to prescribe me armour when I was still feeling lethargic on synthryoid. I also went gluten free in that time because I read that gluten prevents your body from absorbing the thyroid meds. (I don't know if it is true, but I certainly feel better). My Dr. said it was probably a gluten allergy helping instead of the armour but I am going to continue to do both.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention I don't suggest to anyone to go gluten free. That was a choice I made.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Finding a good endo is the roughest part of this as most will only consider TSH as an indicator - you need to review Total T4, Free T4, Total T3, Free T3, and RT3 at a minimum to understand what's going on, especially if your still experiencing the lack of energy. Their reluctance to use Armour isn't a good sign either.

My personal details - I'm 6'4", 225 lbs and on 175/200mcg alt day Synthroid and feel great now, but I was a heavy exerciser before the surgery and only just now feeling back to normal. Still not at 100%, but getting there. I also tried the levothyroxine generic and did better on Synthroid.

Are you following an exercise plan?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    You don't need to go gluten free. You might find that a low or moderate-carb diet is helpful.

I agree that you might want to consider a different endocrinologist. No matter how well-balanced your medications are, you still have to work to lose the weight--it isn't just going to fall off.
  • stacys29
    stacys29 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes there is only a few endo's in my area. So I may have to take the hour drive down to a UofM endo center. I have found myself to very tired and that may be leading to the weight gain. I just started getting back on the treadmill every morning before work, by the time I get home I am too tired to move. I am not sure what my levels are as far as Total T4, Free T4, Total T3, Free T3, and RT3. I will have to get with my doctor for that. Thank you all!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    stacys29 wrote: »
    In the last two years I put on 75 pounds and the doctors keep saying it will come off when they figure out my dosage for medicine. Well its been two years and they are still trying.

Is there anything I need to stay away from completely with having no thyroid or anything I can do special to help lose weight.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Thyroid meds (in my case, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I still kept gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.

I lost the weight long before my thyroid levels ever entered the "normal" range by following the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Dont let your Dr's tell you "your numbers on in range" and send you away.. make them treat your symptoms.

Educate yourself on thyroid...
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

The Thyroid makes 4 hormones (T1-T4) and the body needs em all NOT just T4 which is the highly pushed drug of choice by big pharma.. aka levothyroxine/ synthroid.

Alot of people cannot convert the T4 to T3 efficiently or at all and therefore making the T4 drug useless regardless of dosage..

Proper labs tell the whole story, being Free T3, T4, Free T4, importantly Reverse T3, TSH, thyroid peroxidase AB.
    There is a relationship between T4 and reverse T3.
    Pulling cortisol in the AM and PM will see if your adrenals are getting taxed as well..
    The adrenals and thyroid work in conjunction, think of a balance beam, if one is elevated the other is low and vice versa.

Should look into (Armour) Desiccated thyroid hormone (its natural firstly) but also provides T3 (much needed).