Any 40 something people out there??

Options
2»

Replies

• brokebutfun
    brokebutfun Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Fundimentally you can't honestly expect different results doing the same thing. From what I've read to you have a large breakfast and then starve your body through out the day. You need to get your body to work with you and not against. Start your day with a glass of water to hydrate. Its very common for people to eat when in truth your body is just thirsty. Then have a soft boiled egg and toast. Its simple and small and should keep you going until you have a snack later in the day. Training your body that food is available will help will help it not want to store it. P.S. the trick to a perect soft boiled egg is get about an inch of water in a pot boiling first. You cooking the egg in the steam more than the water. Put the egg in and a lid on for 6 min and 45 seconds then immediately place it in cold water to stop the cooking. It should be a perfect soft boiled egg with i think is the tastiest way to have eggs.
  • Pompey66
    Pompey66 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I train hard been to spinning class 4 times this week and used cross trainer. Done over 10000 steps every day. Counted my calories and only lost 0.2 pounds this week. How come is my body holding on to the fat? Will it move eventually
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Pompey66 wrote: »
    I train hard been to spinning class 4 times this week and used cross trainer. Done over 10000 steps every day. Counted my calories and only lost 0.2 pounds this week. How come is my body holding on to the fat? Will it move eventually
    You've only just started; it takes time to get the body going. Expect to lose some water weight the first couple weeks, then, if you're consistently burning more calories than you eat, you'll lose that fat. The key word here is "patience". You didn't gain that weight in a week, so don't expect to lose it in a week. Good luck!!!
  • suncharisma
    suncharisma Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 44yrs and I know its hard, very hard but no one said it was going to be easy. Just hang in there
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Pompey66 wrote: »

If you aren't losing weight, you're eating too many calories. Period. There's no other way around it. You can't exercise away the weight if your calories are too high. Buy a digital food scale and weigh all of your solid food.
    And read the first post in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • Butterfly2022MD
    Butterfly2022MD Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    mccindy72- i think you are right. I think it boils down to the fact we burn less calories a day as we get older so we can't take in as many. It is basic math.
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    you can do it ! add me and we can motivate each other. I'm 48 and am doing it. It isn't easy but once you start dropping weight it becomes easier and very rewarding.
  • Tamlyngo
    Tamlyngo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    jnoegrah wrote: »
    it is a little harder, but not impossible. Got to show the young un's how its done!

40s is the new 20s!

Yes :)
  • 3audkids
    3audkids Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and am losing weight steadily. MFP had me at 1200 calories a day a I was losing but very slowly. I bumped it to 1400 calories do a variety of workouts weekly, walk daily and am losing more weight now. Plus I am not giving up all the foods I love, including beer.
  • bawlmergirl
    bawlmergirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 43. I'm more motivated and disciplined now than I was at a younger age, but my calorie needs seem to be much lower. It is tough to make the scale move.
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    47 here. Back on track now. Weight can be lost just stay motivated.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    bigtone89 wrote: »
    Hell yeah it's hard.....but persistence and positive attitude is half the battle. Oh...and saying no to the even snacking......ugh

Like :)
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and lost the 40+ pounds I wanted to lose, but it did take a lot longer than I thought it would. I think as you get older, your body does want to hold onto more fat (at least that's what my doctor said). I can say losing the last 10 pounds (getting down to low teens in body fat) took WAY longer than I expected.

As others have said, losing weight is all about what and how much you eat. You should view exercise as something you do to stay healthy, not lose weight.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    43. Life style change (pretty active work -> sedentary work) with no change in eating habits resulted in a 60 lb weight gain. In the process of fixing those bad habits :)
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Please don't use that excuse. I am in my 40s and lost 35 pounds.

This! I didn't try losing weight until a year and a half ago. I am 48 and down 173 pounds in that time.
  • KristieJC
    KristieJC Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and haven't lost the weight and I know it's because of inconsistently eating right. I've heard that 80% of the formula is the right diet - you can't exercise enough to compensate for eating wrong. I think this is true based on previous success I've had. If you're looking for friends on MFP to help keep you motivated, friend me! I'm just starting back up after falling (jumping!) off the bandwagon last year. I'm motivated by a lot of the comments on this thread.