'Lady' issues (men *and some women* may not want to read this as it is a bit uncomfortable for some)

Options
I've been with MFP for awhile, one thing I've noticed is that since I've started MFP, my cycles have been getting more and more bizzare. Now I am really concerned because I haven't gotten my cycle for 2-3 months. For sure this is nothing to do with pregnancy and menopause I am not 'active' in that way and I am too young for that. I don't do that much exercise so it wouldn't be that issue either. Does anyone have this problem or have any possible explanations?

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should get a check up from your doctor.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If I recall correctly you are already at a low body weight and eating minimal calories; that might have something to do with it.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    What is your BMI? If it has dropped too low, you might be suffering from amenorrhoea. If it's not that, then best to head to the doctors.
  • jtboner
    jtboner Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    What is your BMI? If it has dropped too low, you might be suffering from amenorrhoea. If it's not that, then best to head to the doctors.

I am at the 49th percentile at the moment, which is about a BMI of 20ish
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    jtboner wrote: »

In one of your previous posts you said you were under 113?
  • jtboner
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

In one of your previous posts you said you were under 113?

I have now dropped to 111.2 lbs
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Schedule an appointment with the OBGYN.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Ok, I think you should head to the doctor. And, you really, really, really need to eat more. Trust me, you really don't want this damage to your fertility to be permanent...
  • jtboner
    Options
    Ok, I think you should head to the doctor. And, you really, really, really need to eat more. Trust me, you really don't want this damage to your fertility to be permanent...
    Ok, I am definitely convinced, do NOT want to hurt my future kids because of my health.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Go see your doctor. It may be nothing or it may be something.

I am not concerned when my cycle goes wonky because I've been having my period for nearly 28 years and know how my body works. You are a lot younger and it seems like this is a new thing for you. In your situation, it's best to check things out with a professional.

There's no need to warn off anybody when talking about periods, btw. We're all adults. Period happen (and sometimes don't happen.)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me when I was your age and was on the swim team, and your same weight. The doctor said it was a thing that could sometimes happen with hard exercise. He put me on the Pill to restore my cycles. Go see the doc but don't panic, it's very likely not anything dangerous.
  • jtboner
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I am not concerned when my cycle goes wonky because I've been having my period for nearly 28 years and know how my body works. You are a lot younger and it seems like this is a new thing for you. In your situation, it's best to check things out with a professional.

There's no need to warn off anybody when talking about periods, btw. We're all adults. Period happen (and sometimes don't happen.)
    THANK you. I understand why people might be shy, but I wish that there was less apologizing for talking about body functions.

sorry, I recently got a warning from MFP for a post, I wanted to be safe by warning people about things that they may or may not be comfortable with. I did not intend to imply that periods should be all 'hush hush'.
  • jtboner
    Options

THANK you. I understand why people might be shy, but I wish that there was less apologizing for talking about body functions.

sorry, I recently got a warning from MFP for a post, I wanted to be safe by warning people about things that they may or may not be comfortable with. I did not intend to imply that periods should be all 'hush hush'.

Gotcha--I hope it wasn't the silverfish. I'd destroy one of those egg dishes.

nope, it was another post, which I better not give any info about or else I'll be 'warned' again
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

nope, it was another post, which I better not give any info about or else I'll be 'warned' again

Ah, I get it. That is understandable.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

Some people are sensitive to it, others aren't. Especially guys, they can be rather grossed out talking about TOM with women. Not all guys, but enough that I give warnings too.

As for your original question, when you're underweight, it can mess up your period, even make it disappear. If your doctor has ruled out other causes, chances are you're very underweight and need to correct that. Work with your doctor to find what the perfect weight range is for your body and stick with that, neither over or under. If you stay in that range and are getting the nutrition you need, you should be fine.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »

Some people are sensitive to it, others aren't. Especially guys, they can be rather grossed out talking about TOM with women. Not all guys, but enough that I give warnings too.

As for your original question, when you're underweight, it can mess up your period, even make it disappear. If your doctor has ruled out other causes, chances are you're very underweight and need to correct that. Work with your doctor to find what the perfect weight range is for your body and stick with that, neither over or under. If you stay in that range and are getting the nutrition you need, you should be fine.

WTF you flag people for period discussion? am i reading that right?

Also, who cares about men who have dumb opinions. Women's issues, don't click. What were they expecting to find?

To the OP--my period stopped AND THEN RESTARTED one month. If it ceased entirely, I would be at the doctor's.

One thing I noticed--and someone told me it's because I'm in my thirties--is that my cycle shortened by a few days.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

Also, who cares about men who have dumb opinions. Women's issues, don't click. What were they expecting to find?

To the OP--my period stopped AND THEN RESTARTED one month. If it ceased entirely, I would be at the doctor's.

One thing I noticed--and someone told me it's because I'm in my thirties--is that my cycle shortened by a few days.
    I interpreted as her saying she gives a TMI warning if she posts something about a period, not that she's a mod who warns others for it.

For me, if someone puts "period/menstruation/cycle" in a topic title, that should give plenty of "warning" to someone who's so squeamish they can't bear to read about it.

Oh true, I probably read it wrong.

I never understand why men click the bra/period threads. I wouldn't click a thread for them.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

I've never flagged anyone for TMI. The only posts I've ever flagged have been the recent outbreak of spam posts from spam accounts. TMI or body functions or whatever doesn't bother me, and while I would suggest a warning on some things, I don't really care unless it breaks the rules. Even then, I'd rather let the mods handle it. Let he who hath never posted off topic make the first flag! XD