Counting cals for family meals

Options
I used MFP 2 babies ago to loose 40lbs, so I know it can be done but if I remember correctly, I ate very plain, like steamed veggies, salads, etc that could be easily counted. How do you measure for things you make for your family from scratch like potato salad? Or even steamed veggies but including Earth Balance? I want to include a few things I enjoy this time but not sure if there is an easy way to count it. Do I have to break the whole recipe down or seperate my ingredients first, essentially making two meals? I rarely use a recipe. I do try to cook healthy for the most part.

Replies

• dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    The recipe builder in MFP is a great resource. I build a recipe and calculate the # of servings and you have a solid estimate of the calories.
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Recipe builder. I weigh whatever dish I'm going to use empty and then when I'm done and I enter it as 1 gram per serving. Then I can dish myself as much or little and still have a proper calorie count
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Recipe builder for things that are all mixed together like potato salad.

For steamed veggies, I wouldn't add butter to the dish. I'd let each person add his/her own. If you do add it to the dish, you can use the recipe builder for it.
  • TexasJade
    TexasJade Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I had no idea MFP had that feature. I will check it out.