Plain bagels?

Options
so i eat a plain bagel for breakfast along with some sausage every morning and it only ever adds up to 350 calories which seems pretty great!
But everyone, except for a couple of forums, say bagels are absolutely terrible.
If a bagel fits into my calorie allowance, will i still "certainly gain weight"?

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    If they satisfy you and they fit into your calories, go for it! I'd get hungry shortly after if I only ate a bagel without adding any protein, so I rarely eat them. Different foods work for different people, dont worry about what everyone else is doing, just do you :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    If you're weighing your bagel and sausage and it fits, go for it!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Must be a small bagel! But if you're accurately logging and it fits your calories then you're fine.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Most of the bagels from Noah's or Panera (and even a Sara Lee bagel) run on the order of 300 calories; I'm not willing to spend that many calories on just a piece of bread.

But nobody's preferences are inherently "right" or "wrong". It depends on how many calories you have to allocate each day, how you want to allocate them, and, ultimately, whether your choices support your goals.

If it works for you, rock on.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    sausage and a bagel together = 350 cals? Are you sure about that? do you weigh the bagel and sausage to be sure that you are logging what you are eating. I could see one sausage link and half a bagel be that much.

That said, even if it is 600 cals if it fits your cals you will not gain weight, unless your cal goal is to gain weight.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Bagel, eggs, cheese, bacon. . . . .457 calories. I must be eating something wrong.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Love bagels.
    erickirb wrote: »
    sausage and a bagel together = 350 cals? Are you sure about that? do you weigh the bagel and sausage to be sure that you are logging what you are eating. I could see one sausage link and half a bagel be that much.

That said, even if it is 600 cals if it fits your cals you will not gain weight, unless your cal goal is to gain weight.

Well a lot of bagels are 220 calories or so, and turkey sausages are typically 130 calories, so that sounds about right, although I'd weigh them to be sure... I'm sure a lot of bagels are closer to 260 calories, but it's tough to say as most of them don't have a nutrition label coming with them...
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Love bagels.

Well a lot of bagels are 220 calories or so, and turkey sausages are typically 130 calories, so that sounds about right, although I'd weigh them to be sure... I'm sure a lot of bagels are closer to 260 calories, but it's tough to say as most of them don't have a nutrition label coming with them...

Emphasis added

With the caveat that my experience applies to the US only, all it takes is a little basic research.

http://www.noahs.com/nutrition/classic-bagels-plain

https://www.panerabread.com/en-us/menu-categories/bagels-and-spreads.html

http://www.starbucks.com/menu/catalog/nutrition?food=all#view_control=nutrition&food=bakery

MFP also has a fair number of entries (though some of dubious accuracy) in the database.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    If they satisfy you and they fit into your calories, go for it! I'd get hungry shortly after if I only ate a bagel without adding any protein, so I rarely eat them. Different foods work for different people, dont worry about what everyone else is doing, just do you :)

This^

You won't gain weight by eating bagels. But there are more filling options (for me)....so bagels aren't a regular thing for me.

If you find bagels filling, if you are meeting nutrition requirements then continue on.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Love bagels.

Emphasis added

With the caveat that my experience applies to the US only, all it takes is a little basic research.

http://www.noahs.com/nutrition/classic-bagels-plain

https://www.panerabread.com/en-us/menu-categories/bagels-and-spreads.html

http://www.starbucks.com/menu/catalog/nutrition?food=all#view_control=nutrition&food=bakery

MFP also has a fair number of entries (though some of dubious accuracy) in the database.

Yeah but again, the first entry when you look for 'plain bagel' gives 230 calories. And it's verified, of course... And sausages, well, they can go from 60 to 350 calories too, so we'll have to take the OP's word for it, lol.