Would like to hear from those who have made the change to do morning exercise vs. evenings

Options
2»

Replies

• airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have two jobs and was finding it really, really difficult to motivate myself to go the gym after work, when I only had a few hours before bed and my dog needed to be walked as well. I don't know what happened to my energy at the end of the day, but I decided if I was gonna go, it was going to have to be before work. Started getting up at 430 a few weeks ago and I really like it, I like not having to worry about it for the rest of the day. I go for weight training primarily so it's really great to go when it's relatively empty, as well. huge bonus for me.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I started getting up 5:00 in morning to catch the early neighborhood transit (mitigation for PUD) over a year ago so I can have longer afternoon rides but it's been too hot recently and had switched to morning rides. Only difficult part are: 1) having wife who is a night owl and like to coincide her shower/drying hair when I turn in (a continuing annoyance no matter when I go to bed), 2) occasional insomnia, and 3) cold mornings. I leave around 6:00 and get a good 80-90 minutes ride into work at least 4 times a week. Commute back (and longer afternoon rides) is a hit and miss depending on the temp. Actual time required for one way commute ride is around 40 minutes. The morning rides have worked out great and I plan on continuing them until the switch for daylight saving.

Only thing I had to change around was getting my cloth to work for the week. I started packing a week supply and dropping it off at work after my weekend rides. I luck out on having a shower, lockers, and a bike locker (after 7 years on the waiting list) at work.
  • nicnoahshaun
    nicnoahshaun Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome! And I am motivated just reading on what you do to fit in your morning workouts. I know the big thing I need to do is make myself go to bed early and also I need to have everything ready the night before to have a good start for the next day.
    It also really helps me knowing that I'm not the only one doing this. Thank you!
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You all just gave me my extra motivation to get committed to morning workouts. I like working out in the morning because I rather get it out the way, Its just the getting up part especially if I don't be in the bed by 11pm. But tomorrow morning I'm getting my butt up at 5:20am!