Insulin resistant type 2 diabetic. Advice please??

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    mrron2u wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Seriously - you got to read the book I recommended. I went through and read more of the thread and you really do need to change some things. One thing I learned (aside from limiting carbs to 100g or less per day) is that you should always start eating fat and/or protein first before putting any carbs in your stomach. The book goes in to detail about why this works. I've been doing this for 2 weeks and my FBS has gone from 220 to 110. I hope you look up the book!

I did. It did not give me any more information that pertains to my situation than I already received from my Certified Diabetic Educator doctor. My results speak for themselves. you have been doing this for 2 weeks. I have been doing this for 19 months. a1c has been holding steady at 5.3 for a year. FBS is 90, and also holding steady for about a year.
    Pow! Right in the kisser!

Guess I don't know anything about diabetes according to earlnabby. Forget my advice. I've only been living with it for the past 7 years and finally found some answers that really work for me. Sorry for sharing.

I never said that. I am saying that there is no One Right Way to treat it. Keto is not the best for everyone even though it can be the best for some.

• gainesma
    gainesma Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Vixxie75 wrote: »
    I've been T2 for 12 years, 18 months ago my levels when mad after 10.5 years stable. My Diabetic nurse put me on a slow release insulin and for a few months I was fine but then things went mad again. So she put me on a fast release insulin but I was upping and upping it and although every so often it lowered my levels, most of the time they didn't change.
    Then my Diabetic Nurse was rushed into ICU and was signed off for at least a year so the GP's nurse took over. At my first appointment she said 'Of course it's not working, you've had Pancreatis so you're insulin resistant' She then signed me up to see a consultant and off I was sent.

Tomorrow is my appointment with the consultant and to be honest I'm scared of what he'd going to say. I've tried to find stuff online but the only mention of IR is connected to Pre T2 Diabetes. I'm not Pre I'm already T2! So what is he going to say? If I'm resistant to insulin loading me up with more isn't going to work. So will they treat me as a Type 1 or leave me to struggle as I am?
    I've tried everything but nothing works! Diet doesn't seem to change anything. Put it this way I eat very similar things each day. You can see yesterday's food diary, this morning my levels have dropped and I got a 5.4. I had the same thing to eat one day last week and my level the next day was 9.8! There's no logic to it! Even exercise doesn't do anything. It doesn't matter if I walk miles or sit down all day. It doesn't lower or increase my levels.

Ok I'm rambling. The bottom line is I'm desperately scared I'm going to be told there's nothing that can be done and I'll just go on with bad levels and loose my eyesight and legs. Yeah I know that's dramatic but I've seen my friends aunt loose her eyesight because her diabetes was badly managed. She's in her 50's and has 5% vision left.

If anyone has any advice please let me know. Even if it's just questions to ask tomorrow.

Thanks
    Vicki x

■■■REQUEST AN INSULIN SENSITIVITY TEST, YOU NEED TO KNOW IF YOU'RE SECRETING ENOUGH INSULIN.

Most type 2 diabetics over secrete insulin. The cells just don't respond to insulin as well anymore. But if you're not secreting enough insulin you need to know that because this would mean you're moving toward type 1 diabetes.

Bottom Line low carbohydrate (30 grams or less) per day with high fat and moderate protein is highly effective and couple that with leisurely walks bike riding etc further helps.

I'm 12 weeks into ketogenic diet and was taking 2000 mg metformin & Novolog fast insulin x5 times a day and a lantus slow acting insulin on nightimes. I was a diabetic T2 nightmare.

By day 3 severely restricting carbohydrates & s with 60 day ugars as per above eating 70 to 75% fat 20% protein & 5% or less carbs my blood sugars began to normalize. I stopped all diabetes drugs and my blood sugars are so greatly improved they are most normal without drugs.

Prior to my ketogenic diet, I had sugar swings from 55 to over 300 with 60 day averages of 155 to 170. Morning fasting sugars always 150 or> even while dosing with slow lantus insulin at night.

With my diet change my swings c are from 90 to 135 with about a 119 60 day average. This is without all that crap insulin doctors were forcing down my throat...FATS LOWER BLOOD SUGAR ESPECIALLY WELL WHEN YOU'RE RESTRICTING SUGARS IN YOUR DIET. You need to remember sugar is carbohydrate. They are 100%;identical twins.

So I EAT Eggs COOKED IN BUTTER, BACON, CHEESE, HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM, HALF N HALF, SAUSAGE THE FATTER THE BETTER, CHICKEN SKIN ON BUT DARK MEAT ONLY UNLESS I HAVE BUTTER TO DIP THE BREAST MEAT INTO X I EAT AVOCADO A DAY. FISH, PORK, STEAK.AS F AS T AS I CAN GET THEM, SHELL FISH etc. Low carbohydrate chili, etc. I eat coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil..I make homemade dark chocolate bark and eat it when I want it just use your favorite sweetner, I only eat dark green vegetables and v always with bacon fat or butter ( fats extract maximum nutrients from your greens ) I make chocolate fat coffee frequently. S o eat a salad just smother it with fatty dugar free blue cheese dressing.

I never eat starchy potato, never eat sugar, never eat flour, never eat grains of any kind as they are all full of carbohydrates

I don't go crazy on protein portions because we can only use so much protein in a day. But I eat enough to insure muscles receive the benefits. Also Protein HAS Trace CARBOHYDRATES While FAT HAS none. So eat to much protein and you can spike insulin and blood sugars.

You can't cheat on this diet and expect great results. The goal is to convert your body from using sugar for energy to burning your own body fat for energy. You only get here by becoming a carbohydrate expert and avoiding them like the olague. When you toss carbohydrates you replace them most with high fat options.

Just try it,nit won't kill you to ride a few days of high sugars to see if you can get results like mine or not. Keep in mind a fatty liver could hold up to 2000 calories in sugars in reserve. An added day of fasting or two will equally help to burn up liver stored sugars. Keep in mind the liver will always try to convert some fats into sugar and store it, so intermittent fasting can greatly help you to keep your liver burning that up while it mostly works yo convert fat into ketones to fuel your brain and body.

Get GI Joe angry here and don't be afraid of fats they aren't the problem. I best coconut oil right off the spoon like it's peanut butter. It's works.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    gainesma wrote: »
    I've been T2 for 12 years, 18 months ago my levels when mad after 10.5 years stable. My Diabetic nurse put me on a slow release insulin and for a few months I was fine but then things went mad again. So she put me on a fast release insulin but I was upping and upping it and although every so often it lowered my levels, most of the time they didn't change.
    Then my Diabetic Nurse was rushed into ICU and was signed off for at least a year so the GP's nurse took over. At my first appointment she said 'Of course it's not working, you've had Pancreatis so you're insulin resistant' She then signed me up to see a consultant and off I was sent.

Tomorrow is my appointment with the consultant and to be honest I'm scared of what he'd going to say. I've tried to find stuff online but the only mention of IR is connected to Pre T2 Diabetes. I'm not Pre I'm already T2! So what is he going to say? If I'm resistant to insulin loading me up with more isn't going to work. So will they treat me as a Type 1 or leave me to struggle as I am?
    I've tried everything but nothing works! Diet doesn't seem to change anything. Put it this way I eat very similar things each day. You can see yesterday's food diary, this morning my levels have dropped and I got a 5.4. I had the same thing to eat one day last week and my level the next day was 9.8! There's no logic to it! Even exercise doesn't do anything. It doesn't matter if I walk miles or sit down all day. It doesn't lower or increase my levels.

Ok I'm rambling. The bottom line is I'm desperately scared I'm going to be told there's nothing that can be done and I'll just go on with bad levels and loose my eyesight and legs. Yeah I know that's dramatic but I've seen my friends aunt loose her eyesight because her diabetes was badly managed. She's in her 50's and has 5% vision left.

If anyone has any advice please let me know. Even if it's just questions to ask tomorrow.

Thanks
    Vicki x

■■■REQUEST AN INSULIN SENSITIVITY TEST, YOU NEED TO KNOW IF YOU'RE SECRETING ENOUGH INSULIN.

Most type 2 diabetics over secrete insulin. The cells just don't respond to insulin as well anymore. But if you're not secreting enough insulin you need to know that because this would mean you're moving toward type 1 diabetes.

Bottom Line low carbohydrate (30 grams or less) per day with high fat and moderate protein is highly effective and couple that with leisurely walks bike riding etc further helps.

I'm 12 weeks into ketogenic diet and was taking 2000 mg metformin & Novolog fast insulin x5 times a day and a lantus slow acting insulin on nightimes. I was a diabetic T2 nightmare.

By day 3 severely restricting carbohydrates & s with 60 day ugars as per above eating 70 to 75% fat 20% protein & 5% or less carbs my blood sugars began to normalize. I stopped all diabetes drugs and my blood sugars are so greatly improved they are most normal without drugs.

Prior to my ketogenic diet, I had sugar swings from 55 to over 300 with 60 day averages of 155 to 170. Morning fasting sugars always 150 or> even while dosing with slow lantus insulin at night.

With my diet change my swings c are from 90 to 135 with about a 119 60 day average. This is without all that crap insulin doctors were forcing down my throat...FATS LOWER BLOOD SUGAR ESPECIALLY WELL WHEN YOU'RE RESTRICTING SUGARS IN YOUR DIET. You need to remember sugar is carbohydrate. They are 100%;identical twins.

So I EAT Eggs COOKED IN BUTTER, BACON, CHEESE, HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM, HALF N HALF, SAUSAGE THE FATTER THE BETTER, CHICKEN SKIN ON BUT DARK MEAT ONLY UNLESS I HAVE BUTTER TO DIP THE BREAST MEAT INTO X I EAT AVOCADO A DAY. FISH, PORK, STEAK.AS F AS T AS I CAN GET THEM, SHELL FISH etc. Low carbohydrate chili, etc. I eat coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil..I make homemade dark chocolate bark and eat it when I want it just use your favorite sweetner, I only eat dark green vegetables and v always with bacon fat or butter ( fats extract maximum nutrients from your greens ) I make chocolate fat coffee frequently. S o eat a salad just smother it with fatty dugar free blue cheese dressing.

I never eat starchy potato, never eat sugar, never eat flour, never eat grains of any kind as they are all full of carbohydrates

I don't go crazy on protein portions because we can only use so much protein in a day. But I eat enough to insure muscles receive the benefits. Also Protein HAS Trace CARBOHYDRATES While FAT HAS none. So eat to much protein and you can spike insulin and blood sugars.

You can't cheat on this diet and expect great results. The goal is to convert your body from using sugar for energy to burning your own body fat for energy. You only get here by becoming a carbohydrate expert and avoiding them like the olague. When you toss carbohydrates you replace them most with high fat options.

Just try it,nit won't kill you to ride a few days of high sugars to see if you can get results like mine or not. Keep in mind a fatty liver could hold up to 2000 calories in sugars in reserve. An added day of fasting or two will equally help to burn up liver stored sugars. Keep in mind the liver will always try to convert some fats into sugar and store it, so intermittent fasting can greatly help you to keep your liver burning that up while it mostly works yo convert fat into ketones to fuel your brain and body.

Get GI Joe angry here and don't be afraid of fats they aren't the problem. I best coconut oil right off the spoon like it's peanut butter. It's works.

Just to clarify, are you saying 3 days after starting keto you were able to stop all diabetes drugs?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Thanks
    Vicki x

1) I do not believe you got off meds after 3 days or even 3 weeks of this diet. Not possible
    2) Your Eat as much animal fat as you can diet, which you have only started, might help with diabetes. But if you keep it up for a while, you will find out there are other illnesses out there caused by extremely weird diets. Of course you will not figure this out in a few weeks, same as it does not take a few weeks of a sugar based diet to develop diabetes. I seriously doubt there is a single dr out there who will tell you what you are eating is promoting your general health.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Seriously - you got to read the book I recommended. I went through and read more of the thread and you really do need to change some things. One thing I learned (aside from limiting carbs to 100g or less per day) is that you should always start eating fat and/or protein first before putting any carbs in your stomach. The book goes in to detail about why this works. I've been doing this for 2 weeks and my FBS has gone from 220 to 110. I hope you look up the book!

I did. It did not give me any more information that pertains to my situation than I already received from my Certified Diabetic Educator doctor. My results speak for themselves. you have been doing this for 2 weeks. I have been doing this for 19 months. a1c has been holding steady at 5.3 for a year. FBS is 90, and also holding steady for about a year.

Not all doctors are of the same quality though. When I became prediabetic my endocrinologist advised me to eat more fruits and veggies and cut back on my fat. I tried and gained more weight. I discovered lowering carbs on my own too.

Sorry, but that's a rediculous statement and we have no way of validating what you were told or your compliance. I can accept that lowering carbs could be of benefit but I'm tired of second and third hand aligations against medical professionals around here.

Believe what you will. It doesn't change things. Some doctors are better than others. I won't go back to that one.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Not all doctors are of the same quality though. When I became prediabetic my endocrinologist advised me to eat more fruits and veggies and cut back on my fat. I tried and gained more weight. I discovered lowering carbs on my own too.

Did your endocrinologist tell you to increase your calories too, since you ended up gaining weight? Because every sample menu I have ever received did include 5-6 servings of fuit and vegetables, along with limitations in fat (not a low fat diet, just reasonable limits to avoid weight gain) and limitations in calories to maintain a healthy weight. If your dr gave you only half the plan, then yes, for sure there was somethign wrong there.

Um, what do you think? Lowered fat and increased carbs led to a greater carb cravings and I gained weight. My blood readings did not improve. She gave me 30 seconds of advice and that was it. It was not helpful in the least.

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    A diet high in animal fat can lead to cardio-vascular disease. Diabetes + cardio-vascular is a recipe for disaster. The arteries get a one two punch, weakened by one and made brittle by the other. Stoke or heart attach in the waiting.
    ETA: Any 80+ year olds out there who have ate diets high in animal fat for 30+ years to control diabetes? I don't know any.
  • christineja
    christineja Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    A diet high in animal fat can lead to cardio-vascular disease. Diabetes + cardio-vascular is a recipe for disaster. The arteries get a one two punch, weakened by one and made brittle by the other. Stoke or heart attach in the waiting.
    ETA: Any 80+ year olds out there who have ate diets high in animal fat for 30+ years to control diabetes? I don't know any.

I thought the new thinking was that cardiovascular disease is caused by inflammation. All I know is my cholesterol numbers improved by 20+ points--bad down, good ch up--when I went to a higher fat diet. But not lots of hot dogs or whatever, red meat yes but also good oils, etc. When I went back to more refined carbs and less fat (bread, rice, etc) my numbers got worse. Of course YMMV but as far as my cholesterol numbers are concerned, more fat/less carbs improve it, more carbs/less fat make it worse. I've got 10 years of tests to prove to myself that it works for me.
  • K8w83
    K8w83 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Most type 2 diabetics over secrete insulin. The cells just don't respond to insulin as well anymore. But if you're not secreting enough insulin you need to know that because this would mean you're moving toward type 1 diabetic

You can't become type 1 from being type 2. They are actually completely seperate diseases and are categorised by the root cause. Type 1 diabetes is caused by the immune system attacking beta cells in the pancreas, which causes a complete and sudden failure of the pancreas to create insulin- often in childhood. Type 2 is caused by the pancreas either winding down and not producing enough insulin, or the body not being able to effectively use the insulin you produce (insulin resistance). You don't become type 1 if you're type 2 and your pancreas stops producing insulin completely - you're an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic.

Sorry- people not understanding the difference between the 2 diseases is a bug bear of mine!
  • daniwilford
    edited August 2015
    Options

I thought the new thinking was that cardiovascular disease is caused by inflammation. All I know is my cholesterol numbers improved by 20+ points--bad down, good ch up--when I went to a higher fat diet. But not lots of hot dogs or whatever, red meat yes but also good oils, etc. When I went back to more refined carbs and less fat (bread, rice, etc) my numbers got worse. Of course YMMV but as far as my cholesterol numbers are concerned, more fat/less carbs improve it, more carbs/less fat make it worse. I've got 10 years of tests to prove to myself that it works for me.

I was specifically referring to a diet high in animal fat. Oils, seeds and nuts are great sources of healthy fat. As a stoke survivor, daughter, sister and granddaughter of early heart disease, I am very careful about animal fat. Inflammation does play a part but I will not ignore the cholesterol part of the equation again.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    "aggelikik wrote: »
    1) I do not believe you got off meds after 3 days or even 3 weeks of this diet. Not possible.

Not sure, Dr Eric Westman often reduces medications at the outset of his clinical low carb diet - some meds are likely to lead to hypos or low blood pressure if maintained while carbohydrate intake is slashed to 20 grams.

Another doctor in action - http://healthinsightuk.org/2014/11/13/high-fat-low-carb-diet-for-diabetes-a-gps-tale/

• christineja
    christineja Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have to say, to the OP or whomever, I found the only way I could get my meals to under 20 carbs consistently was to not eat any fruit or dairy, or very little. To me that doesn't seem sustainable or healthy, although there are plenty of people who think otherwise. Has anyone here kept it to under 20 per meal long term?
  • nvmomketo
    edited August 2015
    Options

My guess is that there aren't any because those eating lots of animal fats did not get diabetes. Just my guess.

The link between saturated fats and heart disease is not strong and getting weaker with each new research study. From what I have read in the last few years, it's now thought that diets high in sugars and less healthy carbs (grains and starches) are more to blame than fats; along with the inflammation they can cause.

Plus high fats, and the lowered carbs that often accompany it, reduce triglycerides, lower LDL, and raise HDL.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I have to say, to the OP or whomever, I found the only way I could get my meals to under 20 carbs consistently was to not eat any fruit or dairy, or very little. To me that doesn't seem sustainable or healthy, although there are plenty of people who think otherwise. Has anyone here kept it to under 20 per meal long term?

There's a handful around here who keep to less than 20g per day, and have for a few years. I've only done it for a few months but I find it fairly easy so far.

But yes, I eat very little fruit, but that suits me since I did not eat much to begin with - just don't enjoy it much.
  • daniwilford
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @christineja I do 45 per meal, why are you aiming for 20 ?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

My guess is that there aren't any because those eating lots of animal fats did not get diabetes. Just my guess.

The link between saturated fats and heart disease is not strong and getting weaker with each new research study. From what I have read in the last few years, it's now thought that diets high in sugars and less healthy carbs (grains and starches) are more to blame than fats; along with the inflammation they can cause.

Plus high fats, and the lowered carbs that often accompany it, reduce triglycerides, lower LDL, and raise HDL.
    My understanding is the the research on saturated fat and cardiovascular events is one of the picture just being more complex. The research seems to be pointing towards it being a matter of the type of saturated fat matters and the extent to which saturated fat pushes out unsaturated fats from the diet. Unfortunately, animals fats tend to fail on both accounts. Dairy might be an exception which hopefully will help balance all the saturated fat from coconut oil people are putting with butter in bullet proof coffee.
  • daniwilford
    Options

You do not know many people in my family. Bad guess.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    With regards to your family, I guess it was a bad guess. I hope they are able to manage their diseases.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I'd be interested in seeing those studies.