Upper arms

Options
I really dislike lifting weights and pushups. There has to be a more fun way to work the upper arms, something that doesn't actually feel like exercise but will tone quickly. Ideas?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Toning is essentially having a low enough body fat percentage so your muscle is visible which is obtained through a caloric deficit.... not exercises.

Oh and you can't spot reduce fat FYI.

• 25sherry
    25sherry Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to "spot reduce fat". Simply looking for a more enjoyable way to tone the arms. I have a sedentary desk job.....so, not a lot of fat on the arms just no muscle tone.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    No ideas, I was going to suggest pushups & weights. :D Honestly, it works for me I have great upper arms imo. No bingo wings here!
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Boxing is a great way to tone the upper arms and it's great fun
  • 25sherry
    Options
    LOL Strong_curves....I do have the wings going on!!

Boxing does sound like fun. I may have to check into getting a punching bag and gloves. That's a great idea. There are only a couple of small gyms in my town and I don't think either of them offer boxing.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Swimming! If you're doing it right, only about 30% of the propulsion should come from yours legs. The rest is arms and core!
  • 25sherry
    Options
    Well except that I swim like a rock
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Wall push-ups if you aren't ready for regular floor ones. Keep you elbows tucked into your sides.
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    25sherry wrote: »
    LOL Strong_curves....I do have the wings going on!!

Boxing does sound like fun. I may have to check into getting a punching bag and gloves. That's a great idea. There are only a couple of small gyms in my town and I don't think either of them offer boxing.
    We have a thing called boxercise I found it on my Facebook you box with others that are there
    Or get a pair of gloves and pads and get a friend to hold the pads and box hell out of them.
    Punch bags are ok if someone is holding it otherwise you are just hitting a moving bag which ain't that good. X
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Do you like tennis?
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I really dislike lifting weights and pushups. There has to be a more fun way to work the upper arms, something that doesn't actually feel like exercise but will tone quickly. Ideas?

There are several ma'am, you could use a resistance band, you can training almost your entire body standing up, use your own weight (push ups, crouches, etc) or....stretch agains a wall.

Oh one more thing, if you do the same mechanic lifting movements with no weight but tensing an putting stress on them, they will also tone
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Dear OP aka Indian Name --->Swims Like Rock.....buy a dumbbell or two. . . .place them under desk, read about different bicep curls and tricep work. . . .use dumbbells. Next caller. PS--->I would not advice swimming with dumbbells. . . . .
  • 25sherry
    Options
    Terrapin....you seem to be a very wise soul, full of good information and advice. LOL

Repsrequired----I do like the idea of punching the hell out of some of my friends, also good advice!

Bkerr30--I would give tennis a try but you are going to have to come and play too, not sure I can find a tennis partner.
  • 25sherry
    Options
    What do you all think of speedbag punching bags?
  • bkerr30
    Options
    Terrapin....you seem to be a very wise soul, full of good information and advice. LOL

Repsrequired----I do like the idea of punching the hell out of some of my friends, also good advice!

Bkerr30--I would give tennis a try but you are going to have to come and play too, not sure I can find a tennis partner.

I'd be in
  • bkerr30
    Options
    Also, you can usually play solo against the wall, not as much fun but gets the job done :)
  • 25sherry
    Options
    That's true, I could do that.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Rock climbing, pole dance/fitness, aerial silks (my personal favorite these days).
  • 25sherry
    Options
    I love rock climbing but we do not have that available in my small town either. Pole dance could be interesting.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    bkerr30 wrote: »
    Do you like tennis?

Fellow tennis player here. :)

Tennis players lift weights and do push-ups to make their game better. I believe boxers, sprinters and other athletes do so as well. Maybe once you engage in a sport and develop a passion you will want to get stronger/faster and look to lifting.