I could use a friend right about now

Options
hi my name is Noella and I have two sons a 18 year old and a 1 year old. I'm 40 years old and I'm almost 300 pounds. I can't exercise because I have a broken back. I don't know how to even get started. I'm overwhelmed .

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Getting started is always the hard part, but I've found that starting with baby steps worked best for me. I will also say that weight loss happens in the kitchen. While exercise is good for a lot of things, you don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight. Start by getting a food scale and just logging for a week or two to see where you're at. It will be a shocker, but it gives you a baseline to go from. Then, just start making small adjustments and give yourself time to get used to them. For example, I started with just swapping out soda for unsweet tea with equal. That saved me about 200-300 calories a day, just from one change! Find small things like that at first, and once you get used to them, change something else. Maybe adjust your portions for lunch or breakfast to fit into a set goal. If you make small changes and work towards smaller goals within the big final goal, it breaks things down to manageable chunks and can help you not feel overwhelmed. ^_^
  • jenanon1
    jenanon1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place. I've sent you a friend request. Start by logging. That's all you need to do for now. Good luck!
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your back and I'm wishing you a very speedy recovery!
    The good news is that you've come to a great place and losing weight is all about calories in vs out, this can easily be done in the kitchen.
    Buy a food scale, weigh and measure everything.
    Keep your head up and things will get better. Be proud of yourself for making a step to be healthier! Best wishes to you!
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Hi Noella, the good news is that most of your weight loss will come from diet and not exercise. I'd recommend just taking that first step of getting your calorie intake under control.
    I was where you are now a year ago, a bad back and a list of medical issues and well over 100 pounds to lose. I have just taken continual small steps and I can't even believe how far I've come.
    Here is a link to a blog I wrote on my one year MFPaversary:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BRaye325/view/baby-steps-754394#comments