Is there a setting for a diabetic foods to help show me what to eat

Options
or avoid? If so can you explain how to get to it I'm new

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't you be referring to a professional to be reassured?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Nope. See doctor or a nutrition.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic, but I had gestational diabetes with my second pregnancy. I was referred to a nutritionist, and she helped me immensely, giving me a basic formula of ratios of fat/protein/carbs to keep my sugar under control. After that, it took some experimentation (carbs at breakfast meant a high am number, but carbs before bed meant a lower am fasted number, milk spiked it no matter what, etc.) to figure out what worked for me. I would highly suggest seeking professional help.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is the first diagram that helped me understand how to eat as a diabetic. It's all about balancing all your macros, with an emphasis on whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and proteins.

PlateMethod.jpg

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/create-your-plate/?referrer=https://www.google.ca/

Don't be looking for a list of forbidden foods because it's not like that at all.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I have my settings so I can see calories, and carbs, fats, protein grams, you can choose two more. I adjusted my percentages 10% higher for protein, and 5% lower for fats and carbs. The protein I use as a minimum and then just track my meals and snacks to stay lower than my per meal allowance of carbs. It works for me, but I am used to counting carbs. The plate planner above is a good place to start.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    When I was diagnoised I just googled "Best foods to eat as a diabetic" and there is a lot of information out there. Or go to diabetes.org and they have great site. They talk about "Diabetes Superfoods". Try and incorporate as many of those foods into your diet as you can. But also remember exercise is good for helping to control your blood levels. You can also google "worst foods for diabetics" and avoid those as much as possible.
  • aicirt79
    aicirt79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    my diabetic case manager advised its best to make snacks 15 grams of carbs and dinners 45-60 grams of carbs.. she said 15 grams is considered "1 carb" so for my 2 snacks I do 1 carb and my meals are 3-4 carbs. it has helped with my blood sugar numbers and helped me lose weight.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Don't eat anything you like.

Bread, no.
    Spaghetti, no
    Ice cream, no

Lettuce, yes
    Cottage cheese, yes
    Zucchini, yes.

That has been my experience, works pretty well for me. I will overeat food I like, rather than the serving allowed. So, I just don't eat it. I also stay away from casseroles. Simple foods, chicken, salad, asparagus was my dinner last night. I had two hard boiled eggs and an apple for breakfast.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution really helped me figure out which foods are best. A very helpful book for me. It focuses on low carb high fat diets (LCHF). Meats, eggs, nuts, cheese, cream, avocado, some veggies and berries are good. Pasta, rice, potatoes, and anything made with flour or added sugars are out (most of the time and in any large amount). A diet like that can really impact blood glucose.

I just reset my Macros to reflect lower carbs and higher fats.

I do believe that some foods are mostly off the table for diabetics though. I know what sweets do to my blood sugar, and I find that the short term gratification of my taste buds isn't worth a hit at my long term health. JMO.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There were very few foods I avoided altogether. Fruit punch was one of them. Cake piled with icing. And I watched how I ate my rice (I was fine if I ate a small amount with salad and protein). Experience was my best teacher, watching how my body reacted and testing my sugar two hours afterwards.

Eggs were my super food. An egg included in my breakfast pretty well guaranteed a day with rock-solid blood sugar numbers, no spikes.

But like I said earlier, trying to manage diabetes by eliminating or adding different foods means you don't get it yet. It's all about balance.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP a few weeks after my T2Dm diagnosis. The only thing I had to do was reset my macros to fit in with my doctor's recommendation (maximum of 180 g total carbs daily), which was seconded by the RD I saw. The Dietician even looked through my MFP diary and told me I was doing everything correct. What was I doing? Eating regular meals (5-6 per day) that consisted of quality food; included fat, protein, and carbs in each; and included some treats (including ice cream and cookies) while still staying under my maximum number of carbs.

In other words, there is nothing you cannot eat, it is all about the proportions (and to a lesser extent the mix). Has your doctor given you a recommendation as to how many carbs to eat? Have you been to classes yet? Have you been to a dietician yet? (Registered Dietician, not nutritionist). MFP will be a great way to set and track what they tell you. Once you know your targets, you can play with your diary settings to meet them. Then it is just a matter of figuring out the best mix based on your recommendations and food preferences.