just starting to lift with a busy schedule and alone

Options
silverdwillow
silverdwillow Posts: 15 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm 5'3 female and have lost 20 lbs since starting to lose weight. I currently weigh 156. I have been doing cardio and when I have time doing some light lifting with small weights I have at home.

I work 8-12 hours a day 5-6 days a week. I work in construction so I am always on my feet so by the time I get home I don't want to go to the gym. My hours also change daily for how long I will be there.

My problem is I am not sure where to start. How often to lift. What workouts I should do. And how to progress with the workouts.

I am still doing cardio in the morning before I head to work. I just am new to lifting and don't want to mess it up, or start and stop because I don't know what I am doing.

Replies

• raetwssrae
    raetwssrae Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I actually just posted a thread in the exercise and fitness topic about something similar. I use pinterest and did a search on beginning strength training exercises and found one in particular that I really liked. I definitely come out feeling that "deadness" in my arms and legs once I'm finished. I posted because I haven't seen results since incorporating this routine into my schedule about two months ago. But that's at least where I started.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    OP, I would suggest looking into a Starting Strength or Stronglifts type program. They are well structured, only use a few exercises, and work the entire body only 3 days per week. You will need access to heavy weights though, so a gym would be handy.

If you intend to workout at home, and don't plan to purchase weights, a structured bodyweight program can do well too. I have seen You Are Your Own Gym, and Convict Conditioning mentioned regularly around here.

Regardless, the key is structure with a well defined progression.