Grocery shopping time!

Options
Its that time again that we all share...Grocery shopping. You either love it or hate it...or maybe just feel indifferent about. Now I've done plenty of shopping these past 3 months of getting the right foods however I feel bored sometimes.

I usually get these types of foods:
-Chicken
-Tuna
-99% Fat free turkey
-Veggies
-Fruits
-Yogurts
-Crackers
-Brown rice
-Frozen dinners (I know they can be bad but I can be pretty busy at home with 3 kids)
-Oatmeal
-etc etc

I would love to know what you might put on your grocery list besides what I have listed above. Share away please! Pen and paper ready to go :drinker:

Replies

• AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    almonds
    light string cheese
    graham crackers and light cool whip (make sandwiches out of it and freeze them)
  • rjyoung
    rjyoung Posts: 17
    Options
    I didn't see any bread on your list. I know most breads are not good for you, but I LOVE the sandwhich thins...Arnold and Pepperidge Farm makes them. There's probably some other brands, too, depending on where you are in the country. They are like really thin hamburger buns. They are 100 calories per bun. I like to spread Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss on them or even a light cream cheese, maybe a slice of tomato...mmmm! I have also made sandwhiches with them using egg whites, tomato, and a little low-fat cheese. Delicious!
  • rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I get the following from Whole Foods:

Fage 0% greek yogurt
    Egg whites
    Unsweetened almond milk
    Kashi GoLean Crunch cereal
    Laughing Cow Light Swiss
    Pumpernickel bread
    Fresh Greens for salad
    Tomatoes, fresh veggies and fruit
    Lemons
    Kale (for salad and to make kale chips)
    Shirataki noodles
    Ground turkey
    Raw almonds
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I didn't see any bread on your list. I know most breads are not good for you, but I LOVE the sandwhich thins...Arnold and Pepperidge Farm makes them. There's probably some other brands, too, depending on where you are in the country. They are like really thin hamburger buns. They are 100 calories per bun. I like to spread Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss on them or even a light cream cheese, maybe a slice of tomato...mmmm! I have also made sandwhiches with them using egg whites, tomato, and a little low-fat cheese. Delicious!

Oh yes I forgot to include my 40-50 calorie bread by Natures Own....I guess I forgot since its become 2nd nature to me lol. I'll have to try out the laughing cow swiss...that sounds delish! :)
  • rjyoung
    rjyoung Posts: 17
    Options
    ooh...the graham crackers and whipped cream idea sounds delicious!!!! I will have to try it!
  • oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Applesauce..rice cakes (i eat them with peanut butter)...other than that I just buy fruits & veggies...
  • smashleymcgee
    smashleymcgee Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I normally buy those plus:

Fiber One Bars
    Dried Fruit- Craisins
    Laughing Cow Light Cheese Spreads
    Trail Mix
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    laughing cow garlic and herb cheese or the sundried tomato ones-awesome on crackers or celery
    roasted red pepper hummus-great on baby carrots and other raw veggies
    quinoa-get the Aztec one you don't have to rinse
    Weight Watchers Giant Cookies and Cream ice cream bars 130 calories of yumminess
  • rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Options

Oh yes I forgot to include my 40-50 calorie bread by Natures Own....I guess I forgot since its become 2nd nature to me lol. I'll have to try out the laughing cow swiss...that sounds delish! :)

Oh, Laughing Cow, how I love you! haha. Just had a wedge spread on a piece of pumpernickel bread along with my shiratake noodles, tomato gravy/sauce, and parmiaggiano reggiano shavings. YUMMY!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    low cal bread (45 cal sara lee I have been getting)
    EGGS!!!
    any kind of cheese
    onions
    bell peppers
    almond milk
    (these are all my breakfast foods, along with some protein powder but I only buy that once in a while since it comes in a giant jug!)

spinach
    roma tomatoes
    pear
    apple
    orange
    melon (cantaloupe and honeydew are lower price right now, too!)
    shirataki noodles (almost no cal)
    spaghetti sauce
    meats: chicken breasts, lean cut beef (I don't eat any pork)

I always pick up a few cookies or ice cream snacks to help quell urges :)

I could be eating more oats but I haven't made an effort to add them in yet!
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Toufayan whole wheat pita
    pizza sauce
    2% shredded cheese
    Makes a great pizza!!! Had one today topped with left over taco meat, lettuce and taco sauce, so good!
  • 1a1a1o
    1a1a1o Posts: 3
    Options
    Jennie-O Oven Ready Boneless Skinless Turkey Breast (awesome crockpot meal)
    Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted bread
    Almond butter
    Wasa crisp bread
    Good Earth caffeine free sweet & spicy herbal tea (great after meals when I'm craving something sweet)
  • rubyrenga
    rubyrenga Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hummus
    Baby carrots
    Lots of fruit
    Steel cut oats
    Silk soy milk
    Vegetarian "meats"
    Thomas' sandwich thins
    Eggs (for whites)
    Lots of fresh veggies
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    lettuce
    spinach
    apples
    bananas
    special k bars
    special k cereal
    kashi go lean cereal
    almond breeze milk (only 40 calories a cup)
    pop secret 100 calorie pop corn
    *low calorie wheat tortillas
    *fajita seasoning
    *green bell pepper
    *onion

* these items cooked with chicken and wrapped in the tortilla make great low calorie fajitas, very filling
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    low cal bread (45 cal sara lee I have been getting)
    EGGS!!!
    any kind of cheese
    onions
    bell peppers
    almond milk
    (these are all my breakfast foods, along with some protein powder but I only buy that once in a while since it comes in a giant jug!)

spinach
    roma tomatoes
    pear
    apple
    orange
    melon (cantaloupe and honeydew are lower price right now, too!)
    shirataki noodles (almost no cal)
    spaghetti sauce
    meats: chicken breasts, lean cut beef (I don't eat any pork)

I always pick up a few cookies or ice cream snacks to help quell urges :)

I could be eating more oats but I haven't made an effort to add them in yet!

I'll be in trouble if I get the spaghetti sauce cause I'll want to eat it with regular noodles....How do the Shirataki noodles taste? I heard they were stinky but I like tofu! haha
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Let's see (Processed type foods)..

Reduced Fat Philadelphia Cream Cheese
    Philly Swirl Sweet Delites (These are really tasty and only 14 calories and Gluten Free)
    Eggs
    Hummus (sometimes)
    String Cheese
    Nuts - Preferably Almonds...They are my FAVORITE
    Laughing Cow Cheese
    Low Sodium Chicken Breast (made by Sara Lee..this stuff is GOOOOOD)
    Cheerios
    Brown Rice
  • jmconway1
    jmconway1 Posts: 29
    Options
    egg beaters (they're quick and easy and a 1/2 a cup is only 60 cals!
    fat free small curd cottage cheese (80 cals for 1/2 cup) with dole no sugar added mandarin oranges (40 cals per cup)--DELISH!
    skinny cow ice cream desserts (100-150 cals) and so good for sweet cravings
    oh! and also, get 100 calorie packs of oreo thin crisps or pop tart thin crisps and marshmallow fluff. SO good together and 100 + 40 cals (2 tbsp marshmallow fluff)
  • jmconway1
    jmconway1 Posts: 29
    Options
    graham crackers and light cool whip sounds really good. I'll be trying that one!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Pork tenderloin is a nice change if you are bored with chicken. It has about the same fat content as skinless chicken breasts and is really great on the grill too. Get the kind that is not preflavored because those preseasoned ones are mega salty.

Also maybe try some other grains besides rice. If you don't have issues with gluten bulgar wheat is really good and can be used the same as rice is just about any dish, or you can just soak it in cold water for 30 min and add to salads. Quinoa is really good too but can be pricey.

I also like just about anything Kashi makes (cereals, bars, cookies, pilaf, pizzas) because they are all high fiber and most of all tasty!
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Our staples that we always have on hand are:

Boneless, skinless chicken breast,
    Extra lean hamburger
    Pork (ether chops or loin)

Cheese (cheddar and mozza as we run out)
    Amooza cheese strings
    Rice milk
    Honeycomb cereal
    Vegetable thins
    Rice crackers
    Salsa
    Bbq sauce
    Baking supplies
    Fruits - apples, bananas, grapes, pineapple
    Veggies - lettuce, carrots, peppers, mushrooms, cucumber, zucchini, potatoes, onions,
    Eggs