Fitness class inspiration

Options
HZ15
HZ15 Posts: 21 Member
I'm currently trying to get back into exercising regularly after having struggled all year to get back into a routine following a lengthy time out with two injuries last year.

When I first started exercising properly (losing >60lbs in 2012), I went to a lot of classes initially but gradually started spending more time in the gym and pool. Currently, my willpower isn't quite doing the trick with solo work in the gym and pool so I'm looking to perhaps try classes again - at least until the fitness bug bites.

But I have to admit I did get a bit bored of classes back then and felt many of them stopped being challenging and starting being too repetitive after 4/5 months or so.

To help with a bit of inspiration, could anyone share what classes they do and what it is about them that they enjoy and/or find challenging and keeps them going back.

My goals are to lose the pounds that have crept back on in the past year, improve cardio and strength, and to find a few classes that I find enjoyable and rewarding enough to keep me going back.

Thanks!

PS - Tips on classes to avoid also welcome! ;)

Replies

• katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Personally, I really enjoy Jazzercise ,(and I also do Yoga).
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    A dance class like house, hip hop, or dancehall. Take it as a goal to actually learn if not master that style which is motivation for practicing the rest of the week.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I think maybe you need to shift from "exercising" to "training". Exercising does get boring, but if you're training for a specific goal, sport, event or something will help stoke the fire a bit. Would you be interested in a mud, spartan or charity run or obstacle course?
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I know this may not be hugely helpful, but I've found that regardless of the class name/content, what determines whether I'll enjoy the class is the instructor.
    A good, knowledgable instructor who can give advice on form/modfications, who varies 'concept' classes to suit them and their class, and who communicates well, will make almost anything enjoyable, or at least bearable.
  • HZ15
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thanks katkins & gdyment - yes, dance based classes were what got me into exercising originally and I might look into some different options. My gym only does Zumba (which is the one I most quickly lost interest in - but I think that might have been down to the quality of the trainer) but I'll look into if there's any independent classes nearby.

And thanks XavierNusum - it is a good idea and something I'll bear in mind for a wee bit down the line. Both injuries are still a bit off 100% and part of the problem has been repeated flair ups and set backs with both (the worst being triggered by fairly gentle cycling and resulting in 6 weeks in a moon boot and 6 weeks physio). I'm a bit hesitant in taking on a challenge or setting a goal straight away that my body may not be up to avoid both further injury and frustration. Which is why I'm keen to find something that I will simply enjoy at the moment but will provide enough of a challenge that I can build up to more serious training.
  • HZ15
    Options
    madammags wrote: »
    I know this may not be hugely helpful, but I've found that regardless of the class name/content, what determines whether I'll enjoy the class is the instructor.
    A good, knowledgable instructor who can give advice on form/modfications, who varies 'concept' classes to suit them and their class, and who communicates well, will make almost anything enjoyable, or at least bearable.

Amen to that!!
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    How about pool workouts? Could be good for nursing injuries.
  • Pittleydink
    Pittleydink Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    madammags wrote: »

I feel this is the most important. When my favorite instructor is teaching I find that I enjoy myself and work my hardest regardless of what class I am taking.

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    HZ15 wrote: »
    Thanks katkins & gdyment - yes, dance based classes were what got me into exercising originally and I might look into some different options. My gym only does Zumba (which is the one I most quickly lost interest in - but I think that might have been down to the quality of the trainer) but I'll look into if there's any independent classes nearby.

And thanks XavierNusum - it is a good idea and something I'll bear in mind for a wee bit down the line. Both injuries are still a bit off 100% and part of the problem has been repeated flair ups and set backs with both (the worst being triggered by fairly gentle cycling and resulting in 6 weeks in a moon boot and 6 weeks physio). I'm a bit hesitant in taking on a challenge or setting a goal straight away that my body may not be up to avoid both further injury and frustration. Which is why I'm keen to find something that I will simply enjoy at the moment but will provide enough of a challenge that I can build up to more serious training.

Zumba is 100% the instructor so that could definitely be it (I had the same zumba instructor for 2+ years and NEVER got bored because she always changed it up)

Have you tried weight lifting? I wish I would have started serious weight lifting earlier in my weight losee journey, but better late than never.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    If it is short term while recovering from injury, try aqua fit. It will keep you mobile and flexible, but the low impact will lower the chances of re- injury. Water walking and swimming would be good too.

I like belly dancing, especially classes that train you to a complete dance routine.

Of course the instructor makes the course, as always.

Cheers, h.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I take Les Mills group fitness classes. There's a lot of different ones, BodyCombat, BodyStep, BodyFlow, etc you can google it. I think they're starting to offer some of these as videos, but if boredom is your issue you may wish to look into a gym that offers them. A new routine is released four times a year for each of the classes. Typically the instructors will do the new ones for three to six weeks so the participants get appropriately challenged. Once we all start to get bored they'll mix in random routines from older releases until the next "launch". I found this format worked for me for both these classes, and something like Turbo Kick at the gym, but ultimately the quality of Les Mills instructors was better

The classes are really fun for me and they also offer low impact options throughout. Basically if you don't want to jump, the instructors are already taught to offer options throughout the class for anyone at all who may want them for any reason. Been Doing these for five years now I guess? Wow, it's not been that long, has it?