Steps per day

Options
Just wondering if everyone uses a pedometer and how many steps per day do you take on average?

I use one on my phone and can only carry my phone at one of my jobs. Both jobs I am on my feet all day and walking around. When I have it all day, I generally average about 20k steps.

Replies

• chatnoir1899
    chatnoir1899 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I researched activity trackers (i hate traditional pedometers ) and found that the best one for newbies is the Jawbone UP. Love mine! Easy to use, tracks sleep patterns & steps, and super cheap. $50 new, got mine on ebay for $34. Great place to start as far as activity trackers go.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I average 20k steps, but I don't have a walking job so I get them all through running and walking in the evenings and on the weekends.
    I have a fitbit one and really like it. I like that it's not on my wrist.
  • Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Average 12.5k steps a dat using Fitbit to track everything from sleep, water intake, weight, etc
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    My 28 day average is 13,867 per day.
    My current 7 day average is 9290 per day. I've been sick since Friday though and it's really impacting my step count.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I don't carry a fitbit or similar device, just a phone which can tell me steps via Google Fit, and a running watch for its GPS and other stats.

Based on your step count you can safely say you don't lead a sedentary life.

In my case, my work is sedentary so all I used my step count in Fit last fall when I started down the get healthy and fit road was as a reminder to be moving on days I wasn't running. Even the bare functionality in Google Fit was more than enough to act as a prompt / inspiration for me to move.

Since then I've moved from running two or three times a week to five, six, or seven times a week (sometimes a hike in there instead so rarely even look at step counts any more. Running 21km is something like 21,000 steps according to Fit. Whether that is accurate or not is immaterial because the step count doesn't mean anything to me.

In contrast the 1,519 calories burned as determined by my Garmin device is very meaningful because it means I can have a beer or two LOL.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    My IPhone tracks my steps. I've just got back from a ten day holiday and I walked 20K steps a day. Now I'm back in the UK I'm lucky if I walk 6K a day. I really need to walk more.