Meats - Serving size weight

Options
I can't find anything that says specifically but when looking at the serving size for meats, they list oz. Is that pre-cooked oz or after cooked oz?

Replies

• jmconway1
    jmconway1 Posts: 29
    Options
    I think they are usually raw weights. Get a scale, I got one at Target for $5. works great.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    raw weight, see any restaraunt menu they specify very clearly that the 1/2 lb burger refers to pre-cooked weight.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    raw :)
  • losinfat4good
    Options
    raw is correct. A scale is pretty cheap at target or walmart and they will help lots when cooking and eating the proper portion!
  • SaddyPants
    SaddyPants Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question! I have been weighing my cooked meat but now I know to weigh it raw.
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hmm. What about something like with a packaged pork loin (Hatfield, for example)? Since the amount of servings per package varies, that can be a big pain in the butt if it really means raw weight. Once you cook the roast, then how to you portion it out? Is there a way without a lot of annoying math?
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I get extremely irritated with it always being the raw weight. If I brown a bunch of ground turkey and weigh it before, do I have to cook mine separately just so I know how much I am eating? It's not a big deal for chicken breast, steak, or pork, but in the instance of ground meat it is SUPER frustrating. :mad: :mad:
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I cook it , weigh it , eat it. 3 step plan
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hmm. What about something like with a packaged pork loin (Hatfield, for example)? Since the amount of servings per package varies, that can be a big pain in the butt if it really means raw weight. Once you cook the roast, then how to you portion it out? Is there a way without a lot of annoying math?

For that just figure out how many servings you'd get from the raw weight, if it would make 10 servings raw it'll still make 10 servings cooked you just have to divide the final product... 10 times... 10 equal portions and base the calories on the raw weight... The "doneness" of your meat will reduce some water weight out of it is the only way 2 people can get the "same" serving size from the same cut of meat, weighing a 4 oz portion raw will allow both to get a 4 oz portion regardless if one likes it blood-rare and the other likes it well-done ;)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You can do either, just check in the database for "chicken breast, raw" or "chicken breast, grilled" as an example.
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    I always add the cooked meat,never raw. I've never even thought about weighing it raw!!
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    i do the deck of cards thing