Overtraining is a myth!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    999tigger wrote: »
    sorry psule i meant how often have people overtrained? I am coming from the angle of I think its hard to do and your average gym user on 60 -90min sessions isnt goping to get close. What msf74 posted above is a good way of looking at how much exercise any person is doing.

OH LOL... nvm then.

The people who I generally see over train are newbies who go from nothing to an extreme workout (especially those workouts that frequently work the same muscles). But if you follow a structured program like SL or NROL4W, it's unlikely.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Oh and just a question for everyone thats commenting.

How often do you train and how much training do you do? Think you are going to be hard pished to overtrain as a typical gym user especially if you take 1 or 2 days a week rest.

Right now? I run 5 days a week on average, 3-6 miles per run. I've just swapped out two of my regular steady pace runs for one sprint training session and one race-pace session because I'm finding distance runs a problem in the Texas heat (i.e. I'm not willing to get up 2hrs before sunrise to get my run finished) and the shorter runs aren't enough.

If you'd asked me a couple of months ago, I was running 5 days a week, 5-14 miles per run and doing All-Pro's intermediate program 4 days a week. I ran in the morning and did my lifting at lunch. Made sure to get 2 days of nothing but rest, also kept two days between doing the same lifts.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    sorry psule i meant how often have people overtrained? I am coming from the angle of I think its hard to do and your average gym user on 60 -90min sessions isnt goping to get close. What msf74 posted above is a good way of looking at how much exercise any person is doing.

Lifting weights? Probably not. Most people would simply find they're too fatigued to lift at their usual weight/duration and realize something was wrong.

But over-training running or other high impact cardio? I see it all of the time in these forums. It usually manifests itself as shin splints or joint problems at first and can get ugly if people don't realize there's a problem and keep "pushing through the pain."
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Overtraining what? Soccer? Powerlifting? Marathon?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    edited August 2015
    overtraining her body I think is the answer to your question. not really sure what your point is
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    well that depends, if you try over training running you'll faint, and get edema and damaged lunges, if you try over training football you end up kicking poorly and with deformed feet, if you try training lifting your muscles won't grow enough as they run out of energy.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    I don't know that you are going to over train yourself but there really isn't any reason to do what he suggests in my opinion. You can lift heavy, 5 days a week, I go 5-7 days between muscle groups and have seen significant growth in my muscle mass. Take a look at muscleforlife.com and the programs he has. It's been a real life changer for me. You do need time for your muscles to repair unless you are using chemicals to speed up the process.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Very few people are at the point where they would be overtraining. Your body needs rest, but as long as your regimens work different muscle groups e.g. martial arts, resistance, cardio - there isn't much concern. As long as you spend enough time flexing you mental muscle and provide some balance to your life you're fine.

While there's not so much a medical concern, is this routine sustainable over time?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    my point is simply that training every single day is really only necessary for those in engaged in athletic competitions. and even then its far from necessary to NEVER take a rest day.

I don't think it does much to support your goals, but if its something you wanted to do, then enjoy
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    The first week of C25K was too much for me as a total beginner. I got shin splints and had to stop running for a week and then restarted with a more gradual program (the book Running from the 1960's) and now it would take a lot more for me to overtrain.

I also overtrained when i started weight training many years ago. Tried to do too much too quickly.

This is why i think the danger of overtraining is mostly for beginners or when you're learning something new. With a little experience you quickly learn the limits of your body and the warning signs, and you can "listen to your body". As a beginner you can't always translate correctly what your body is saying.
  • ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    If you have gotten good results, and it works for you, I don't see the need to change it up drastically. Perhaps a good compromise would be keeping your every other day lifting schedule with the 20 min cardio after, but lifting a little harder, and doing more cardio on the days in between. You said you are strong but don't push it really hard. Push harder on basic hard lifts and keep a workout log and make sure you are progressing in weight, reps, or both. That's just basic stuff. Walking is cardio, but maybe try something more intense. Do you have an interest in boxing training? Your boyfriend could probably help you get started if he boxes. It is great for conditioning and learning how to properly punch someone and fight a little is awesome. You don't have to spar or get punched if you don't want to. I would highly recommend it. Just make sure you are getting legit instruction, wrapping your hands, using decent gloves, hitting a decent bag and not a side of beef, etc.Haha. Good luck.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Agreed. Fat loss is made in the kitchen, not the gym.

Whilst I will agree the most important area to start with is controlling consumption, exercise can still have a role to play in actual weight loss. It doesn't have to be exclusively the kitchen.
    usually:
    Lifting: 3 days a week 2 hrs high vol.
    Dance 6 days a week in various levels of exertion (gigs all the way to rehersal which is more standing and talking) for upwards of 15+ hrs.
    Run:

I've switched gears
    Lifting 2x a week (3 maybe)- for only 45-75 minutes
    Running- 4 x a week
    Dancing- still 6 times a week.

I also work a full time job.

I am, based on how hard I know I can push, typically very skeptical of people who claim to be over training- over doing it and over training are not the same thing.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Mayor_West wrote: »
    My results are fine, I have been doing 3x a week for years but i was never fully satisfied with my body composition.

In this case OP, you should focus more on your diet and less on your training.

Oh i don't want to lose any more weight. I am 5'8" and i weigh around 115 lbs, some days less some days more.
    I am just not satisfied with how "visible" my muscles are if that makes sense. And I thought that it was maybe because i am simply not training enough. I've been working out for years, doing the same type of workout (20 min of cardio + various exercises with weights, switching it up every now and then) so i thought that I might just need to do more than i'm already doing.
    What many of you said makes sense, i'll just try to do cardio on some days and lifting a couple times a week
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    My results are fine, I have been doing 3x a week for years but i was never fully satisfied with my body composition.

Oh i don't want to lose any more weight. I am 5'8" and i weigh around 115 lbs, some days less some days more.
    I am just not satisfied with how "visible" my muscles are if that makes sense. And I thought that it was maybe because i am simply not training enough. I've been working out for years, doing the same type of workout (20 min of cardio + various exercises with weights, switching it up every now and then) so i thought that I might just need to do more than i'm already doing.
    What many of you said makes sense, i'll just try to do cardio on some days and lifting a couple times a week

So do you want them more visible? or less visible?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    edited August 2015
    Overtraining is not a myth ... but you have to be doing a lot to get there.

When I was bodybuilding, my coach had me on a program where I was doing 3 days on, 1 day off ... but working different muscle groups on each of those 3 days. If I recall correctly, he had me doing back & biceps on Day 1, shoulders, chest & triceps on Day 2, legs on Day 3, then a rest, then back to back & biceps and repeat. Oh and abs & cardio all three of those days. That allowed me to really work the muscle groups, and then give them a rest to recover.

Then I moved into cycling, and the recommendation there is to ride 5-6 days a week ... but at different intensities and distances etc.

Currently, I exercise 7 days a week, but again, different activities, different intensities.

One of the ways to tell if you really are overtraining is to monitor your resting (first thing in the morning before you get out of bed) heart rate. If you've been at 55 for several months, and then all of a sudden you can't seem to get it below 75 ... chances are you've reached the overtraining state. You'll also likely be experiencing some rather flu-like symptoms and a deep fatigue as well.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member

oh definitely more
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member

oh definitely more

Check out that body recomposition website that @tomatoey posted. Bundles of info on there, also theres a few threads on here about that. In my own opinion, cut your cardio down, and pick up an A/B type lifting program. Upper body one day, lower body the next. Your muscles won't grow unless you challenge them :)

Or you can just start bulking...
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Since you may actually be underweight, I doubt you need to work out more - not without consuming more calories, anyway

You're healthy, you're getting regular exercise. I don't think you should upgrade to seven days a week unless it's something you want to do, that'll make you happy
  • ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    You must be very thin. Forget about the extra cardio. It sounds like you haven't changed your weight training in a while, and there is the intensity thing. Read up, but a full body split three times a week is enough, if you are working hard. Work harder, closer to your max when you lift. Do things like pullups, shoulder presses and squats, if you aren't, and eat a little more protein.