I need Help I have Diabetes and I don't like cooking

Options
hi I have diabetes and I don't know if there are quick foods I can eat without cooking. I love my microwave. I need to loose over 100 pounds. Any advice?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, but in the UK there are ready meals with names like "Fuller Longer" http://www.aglugofoil.com/2014/01/marks-and-spencer-count-on-us-and.html

If you don't have them just go for some meat or fish and veg without a ton of pasta or potato and watch out for too much added sugar.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Get a Foreman grill. They come in various sizes so you could get a small one. Likely to find at Goodwill thrift store. It literally takes only a few min to grill most proteins. Use various flavors of Mrs Dash seasonings for variety. EVOO & Lemon juice marinade is simple & adds tons of flavor. This is how I cook almost every day for 2.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Crock pot. And batch cooking. Then you can only not like cooking every couple of weeks instead of every day. Also cook with a partner or friend. Play music. Drink a glass of wine. Makes cooking not so bad.
  • SherryTeach
    Options
    Quite a few things can be done to a chicken breast without too much trouble. I'm no gourmet and also would prefer not to cook, but I have figured out some basic recipes that that minimal time and make minimal mess.
  • SherryTeach
    Options
    And that darling boy in your profile pic? What is he being served to eat if you don't cook?
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I don't love cooking but I accept that it has to be done. Like commuting to work and brushing my teeth. If I'm to eat nutritious food and stay within our budget, then I need to cook. I meal plan, cook in bulk and use the slow cooker/crock pot as much as possible. I set aside an afternoon on the weekend and cook as much as possible while listening to music, podcasts etc. Then we defrost serves as we need them.

Cooking doesn't have to be hard or fancy. Grill meat, steam vegies. Chop vegetables, boil in stock and you have soup. Frittatas are just baked eggs and vegetables. Meat and vegetables into a crock pot gives you curries, chillis etc.
  • SherryTeach
    Options
    @oh_happy_day: you have the same philosophy as I do. Keep it simple and tasty and realize that it's just a part of life. Try to make it fun. I listen to audiobooks on my cooking Sunday afternoons.
  • 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about losing weight and getting healthy, you will have to start cooking. It doesn't have to be difficult or gourmet. Do you not like cooking because of the time involved or waiting to eat? There are days when I don't want to cook (esp. in the summer) and I do sandwiches and salads. If it's winter, soup or sandwiches sometimes, but do some research and you can put together a good meal in 20-30 minutes. Cook enough for 2 or 3 days once you are doing it.

Please think about starting to cook to get healthy then find a system that works for you.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Leftovers are a big life saver for me. I BBQ'ed 6 burger patties today and those will last me (and my son) 3 more meals or snacks. Cans of tuna mixed with mayo, avocado and celery are an easy lunch. Salmon patties cooked in a toaster oven only take 20 minutes. Bacon and eggs is a 10 minute breakfast. Raw veggies in a bag with a store bought dip is an easy lunch. One of my easiest lunches is a cup of pistachios.

I have prediabetes and find it not too hard to find healthy choices. I rarely eat out though (due to celiac disease) so if that is the area that you are worried will be impacted, I can't offer much advice there beyond order meat and veggies and skip the bread basket and dessert tray. ;)

Best wishes.
  • Brin1956
    Brin1956 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You can steam all your veggies in the microwave, you can cook rice in the microwave. Meat does better in a frying pan or oven but the ladies are right a George Forman grill would work. Fish poached or baked. I think you need to learn how to cook. Youtube is wonderful, you can watch every step and cook it with them. So many diet recipes online.
  • SherryTeach
    Options
    I have a microwave rice cooker and use it frequently. I also use my outdoor propane grill and an electric skillet. I bake chicken quite a few different ways by putting aluminum foil on a cookie sheet to avoid a mess. I steam veggies in a pyrex pan with a metal steamer basket. Nothing is too fancy or expensive. And it's certainly not time consuming. Any my toaster oven works well for baking potatoes and making mini pizzas.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I have a microwave rice cooker and use it frequently. I also use my outdoor propane grill and an electric skillet. I bake chicken quite a few different ways by putting aluminum foil on a cookie sheet to avoid a mess. I steam veggies in a pyrex pan with a metal steamer basket. Nothing is too fancy or expensive. And it's certainly not time consuming. Any my toaster oven works well for baking potatoes and making mini pizzas.

You've got a lot of toys!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Nuts (portion them into little bags) Eggs are VERY easy to cook, cook a few hard boiled ones in advance for the week you can eat them cold. Cheese is a nice snack. Buy shredded chicken from the deli for use in salad and sandwiches. Greek yoghurt, fruit smoothies, wholegrain ricecakes/crackers with toppings such as avacado,tomato cheese and ham is nice too. Personally i eat wraps with shredded chicken, salad (the type of salad that supermarkets sell in bags) avacado and tomato.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Perhaps re-examining your attitude toward cooking might help you change the things you want to change. "I want things to put in my mouth with as little thought and effort as possible" is not a recipe for success, no pun intended.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    deleted
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hey, I really dislike cooking as well ! But as I have a family, I have no choice. Take aways and restaurants are way more expensive here in Europe so I cook every evening. You can google receipes that won't take more than 20 minutes. I am not good in the planning department so I don't cook in advance but I have my freezer full of vegetables and meat so I can quickly put something together every evening. Start with the very simple receipes. I tell myself it's a very creative task.... also listen to music during the cooking.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Try to change your attitude to cooking and you will find this a great deal easier. If you dig your heels in and resist cooking you are doomed to struggle with your weight.

The only other way is to eat everything raw. And actually that's not healthy enough either because raw foodists tend to end up with some deficiencies.

But you could eat your vegies and fruit raw and cook your meat and then you'd be fine. Do'nt eat too much meat though.

If you think you can be healthy eating pre-packaged food you'd be wrong. Some things just have to be accepted. Try to get your partner into cooking so you can share the load. This probably won't work if you are the one at home but of course even then, every stay at home mum deserves a night off.

Anyway you could start just by making good food choices and then slowly improve your cooking skills. Cooking a decent meal doesn't necessarily have to take a long time. And it can easily be delicious if you choose the right sort of recipe to follow.

Foods that are quick to prepare and i'm only going to talk about vegetables since that's the big problem for most people and i'm vegan now. Roast vegies are quick and easy. Salads are quick and easy. Stir fries are quick and easy. Omelettes with vegetables are easy eg spanish omelette. The more you know what to do in the kitchen the more enjoyable it becomes.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Cooking does not have to be a 10 course meal, where each dish has 20 ingredients and needs hours of preparation. Homemade food can be as simple as plain pasta, or an omelette, or a salad, or some yoghurt with nuts on top, or some grilled meat/fish, which are all good ideas for diabetics. Whatever you have been doing so far, has ended in 100 lbs to lose and diabetes. So reevaluating your relationship with preparing food might be what will help you change things. If nothing changes other than the brand of ready to eat meals, it is unlikely you will notice a dramatic difference in your health.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have a T-Fal steamer that has saved my life on more than one occasion. I just throw a piece of chicken or fish in the bottom compartment, some raw veggies on top, turn it on for 30 to 45 minutes (depending on what I'm making), voila finished. Throw on plate, eat.

(I'm also a diabetic and have to watch my meals. I'm also pressed for time - hard commuting schedule, newborn infant, etc. It can be done.)