Crossfit and nutrition

Options
Any crossfiters out there? I'm curious to know what diet/nutrition guidelines that you follow

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Not a CFer (although I think CF is pretty awesome) but I'd be interested to read what others are up too.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Crossfit in October (next available beginner's course) so I don't have detailed knowledge yet, but from what i've read the majority of CFers follow the Zone or a modified Zone/Paleo hybrid. Here's a link to a PDF:

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/cfjissue21_May04.pdf
  • MaddyMartin123
    MaddyMartin123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cool thanks! I've been crossfitting for a year now and have been playing around with paleo and brick diets
  • llama7891
    llama7891 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You'll get as many different answers for this as you do replies.
    There's no set way of eating that's optimal for crossfit, other than finding what works for you and sticking with it.
    If you enjoy paleo or zone, do it. If you prefer, IIFYM, great! Find something that fits in with your lifestyle and gives you enough energy to support your workouts - that's what's really key for me.

• DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I think that's a fair point, as I don't plan on changing my food types when I start, although I accept I may have to increase calories/carbs dependent on energy needs etc. I guess the answer is each to their own as with everything!
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    For me, making sure I'm getting enough calories each day, hitting my macros, and eating as clean as possible is my daily goal. I started Crossfit a couple months ago, right after I hit my weight loss goal, so the timing was good. I now eat slightly above maintenance since I want to gain muscle going forward. Sometimes I feel like it's too much food, but I'm doing CF 5-6 times a week, and the 7th day I'm probably doing some light jogging as active recovery. With a poor diet I'd never be able to do that.

I followed the Zone a long time ago and that's what our Box really pushes. I don't want anything that regimented, and I think I do a good job now with applying some of the same principles from the Zone.

For Macros, I try to get at least 1g protein and .5g fat per lb bodyweight (the rest of goes to carbs). I know many people feel that much protein is not needed, but I disagree. An added perk is I never feel hungry (protein does that) :wink:
  • amw8675309
    amw8675309 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i generally try to eat 40/30/30 but when i read about how much food you're technically allotted on the zone diet, its like half of what i eat there's no way i would survive lol. and i need more carbs than i think i could get on paleo without eating 3-4 sweet potatoes a day or overloading on fruit.

i don't technically "follow" anything, it's my own mash up of what works for me but I needed to up my calories significantly once i started going 3-4x a week consistantly otherwise my hunger was out of control and i couldn't keep my energy up in workouts (not to mention the cranky b i become when i don't eat enough :) )

i find it hard to maintain anything less than a 200-300 calorie deficit but it could also be because i'm fairly close to my GW
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    For me, making sure I'm getting enough calories each day, hitting my macros, and eating as clean as possible is my daily goal. I started Crossfit a couple months ago, right after I hit my weight loss goal, so the timing was good. I now eat slightly above maintenance since I want to gain muscle going forward. Sometimes I feel like it's too much food, but I'm doing CF 5-6 times a week, and the 7th day I'm probably doing some light jogging as active recovery. With a poor diet I'd never be able to do that.

I followed the Zone a long time ago and that's what our Box really pushes. I don't want anything that regimented, and I think I do a good job now with applying some of the same principles from the Zone.

For Macros, I try to get at least 1g protein and .5g fat per lb bodyweight (the rest of goes to carbs). I know many people feel that much protein is not needed, but I disagree. An added perk is I never feel hungry (protein does that) :wink:

^^^This