How accurate are the MFP calorie counts for exercise?

Options
I have been wondering this for about two weeks now. I have seen lots of posts with calorie burns in the 2000-2500 range for the same amount of time that I do on the eliptical, stationary/spin bikes, and treadmill. I had been using the actual counts from each of these machines for my count and it would be in the 800-1500 range, then two weeks ago I started using MFPs totals for the those exercises and have been over 2000 burnt per day. My question is what is everyone else doing, MFPs numbers or the numbers showing on the actual equipment?

Replies

• jgeiszler
    jgeiszler Posts: 6
    Options
    I actually don't use either. I found the #'s on the machines are pretty inaccurate. I use the numbers from my heart rate monitor. I highly suggest using one. I can't workout without mine now!
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    I have a heart rate monitor but have not been using it, I will have to check it to see if it shows the calories burnt. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I've found that mfp's calorie burn sometimes run higher. It would be better to go with the lowest number so you don't overeat your exercise calories which is very important if you are trying to lose weight:) Best of luck to you!
  • fitaliciag
    fitaliciag Posts: 373
    Options
    I actually don't use either. I found the #'s on the machines are pretty inaccurate. I use the numbers from my heart rate monitor. I highly suggest using one. I can't workout without mine now!

she's right, those machines dont know how hard you are working. i say get a HRM
  • Jovannyr
    Jovannyr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I tried using my hrm on the treadmill but had an unaccurate count...apparently, there was some interference (then again i have a cheap one and dont think is accurate anyways)...what I do is that i will reduce at least 100-150 calories from the count I get from the machine and I dont usually eat them back just in case...Im just glad when I keep at calorie goal and exercise a little something...trust me, its much, much more than I used to do before..! :happy:
  • fitaliciag
    fitaliciag Posts: 373
    Options
    I've found that mfp's calorie burn sometimes run higher. It would be better to go with the lowest number so you don't overeat your exercise calories which is very important if you are trying to lose weight:) Best of luck to you!

i would say use the average, not the lowest. using the lowest may not help, since eating too few calories can actually stop weight loss.
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    I use the numbers off my HRM. That is the most accurate way to track the calories you burn.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I go by mfp...my hrm sabotaged my efforts with a total inaccurate count...and I don`t trust the machines
  • jaimelee1014
    Options
    A heart rate moniter is the way to go if you want an accurate calorie count. Calories burned during any particular excersize varies greatly from person to person. Your age, weight and how hard you push yourself are all factors in how many calories you will burn. (For instance the more you weigh the more you burn.) The numbers on the gym machines tend to be way off. If accuracy is important to you go for a personal heart rate moniter. Good Luck!
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Ditto the others - the HRM is the only way to go. You can't lie to it - you get the truth of what you burn. I can do the same program on different days and it will show different calorie burns, because some days I really bring it, and others I go a little easier. I don't always like the truth, but I can't deny it.
  • Dcgfeller
    Dcgfeller Posts: 83
    Options
    Also, if you are really aiming for accuracy, be sure to subtract your BMR for the amount of time you exercised so it is not being double counted!
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    I will definatley use my HRM tonight if it has a calorie counter on it. Thanks for all of your comments!

6215015.png