Anxiety and working out.

Options
I know I'm not the only one out there with anxiety or panic disorders so I'm wondering if anyone else has or had issues with working out with and getting anxiety attacks...

Getting your heart rate up is apart of working out. But when my heart rate goes up my mind makes me feel like I am dying, having a heart attack or what not. I have even passed out from it before. It's so hard to exercise or even want to exercise because of the fear of getting my anxiety going. Any tips of getting through this? It's gotten to the point where even the idea of doing something physically exerting makes my chest tighten and afraid.

Replies

• actualbears
    actualbears Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Right here, I feel you! Try getting into yoga, it's helped me a ton mentally and physically, and depending on how strong you are, your heart rate will not go up much at all as long as you're breathing properly. Look up Yoga with Adriene on YouTube, she has a few really good beginners videos!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I second yoga. Another thing you can do is not think of it as exercise. Just put on some music and dance at your own pace in a private space. The most important thing is to keep moving.
  • trish2027
    trish2027 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. I bought a fitbit charge hr so I can see my heart rate in real time and also see calories being burned as well as steps taken. Seeing my heart rate makes me feel better knowing that it is in a safe range but is in the range I need to burn fat.
  • kallemann67
    kallemann67 Posts: 92 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My personal experience with my anxiety attacks has been baby steps and long curve expectations. I used to not be able to swim more than 15 meters in the local pool and then have to turn around and swim back. Reason being is that I needed to be close to the change room which had a toilet. This went on for months and slowly I made it to the other end of the pool - 25 meters and back again. 10 years later I've been in triathlons where I've had to swim out to the middle of Lake Zurich, I've swam 2km in the Thames river, I've been dropped off a ship and swam from Alcatraz, and I've swam in some chop and currents in the San Francisco Bay that even the kayaks following us struggled to keep afloat. I also once got stuck in a tide a kilometre off the Vancouver shoreline. So I came a long way from that 15 meter anxiety wall.

Recently I had an inner ear infection and went swimming in our local lake at a water ski park and the dizziness caused by this when I got to the 400 m marker really freaked me out. The world was spinning and I was forced to swim back through waves and wind and dizziness. My point is even though I championed my fear through these personal swim experiences I was knocked back after this one experience swimming with an inner ear infection. I'm now gradually feeling more comfortable in the water again but I don't forget EVER that this anxiety is right around the corner. There are times I just have to swim through it.

For me it really is just baby steps. As long as I get to the water and IN it - even if I'm just treading water (which I've done ) to reacclimatise myself in the environment which I had my freak in- then that's a score. I have challenged my fear. And step by step I find myself returning to a comfortable place.

Panic hits me most in the open water and when I'm a kilometre or so from shore and alone - not the best place - but I realise that it's not just me there are others that have it too and that makes me feel better.

• steponebyone
    steponebyone Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try starting with something small. For example, take a 10-20 minute walk. Put on some headphones and just clear your mind. Then the next day add 5 minutes, the next day add 5 more minutes. Music always helps me and takes my mind off things.
  • newlife0202
    newlife0202 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey i suffer from anxiety attacks too. My triggers are movie theaters, being in the bus or subway, airplane, and was the gym. I take the subway everyday to work so I just deal with it, it sucks, i sweat, i freak out, i feel like death, but i close my eyes and control my breathe and just disappear in my own mind. I used to take xanax but I couldnt function and got addicted. I go to the gym late hours when no ones there, i feel like I have it all to myself! just remember you may think everyone is looking at you but they are not, your all there for the same purpose and thats to better yourself. Gluck. add me, ill help any way i can!
  • delray92
    delray92 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great responses!! I might just have to take some notes here :) I use to work out for hours at a time, also suffering from depression I love how it lifted my mood!! I've only had the anxiety issues this last year and never thought about exercising would affect it. It's not social anxiety or really triggered by anything other than randomness. It could be that a drank a glass of water or I feel too tired and but because my heart rate does go up during the attacks I think that's why my body tries to go into one after working out. Either way I'm determined and really appreciate you guys!!
  • RoxanneTarver
    RoxanneTarver Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have severe anxiety and depression. I tried to take care of it naturally with herbs and yoga and things. I couldn't leave the house without a panic attack. I try not to recommend anyone taking prescribed meds but i have been on prozac for about six months now and i feel like a completely different person. I have no anxiety at all. I dont know if this is the route you should go but some people like me just have to try different things.
  • delray92
    delray92 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was on Celexa for maybe two years but this past january it stopped working and I was already on the highest dose. I was prescribed Ativan when the anxiety attacks started last summer and it helps amazingly but like another person had said this is an addictive medicine so I try to use it only in the extreme attacks. After recent events I have thought about talking to my doctor about getting back on an antidepressant because I have read that it can help like you suggested. I had a lot of issues when i first started taking the Celexa so I am nervous to go back to that.