Do you add alcohol to your food diary

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    When I log, I log my wine. Like winogelato I have 1-2 glasses most nights. It's my dessert.
  • Stressedby8
    Stressedby8 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Nothing at all to be ashamed about!! I calculate it in my day. I love to socialize and love my beer and wine. I walk alot and/or exercise to 'earn' my drink!
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    @earlnabby that's a very good point.
  • kozykondition1
    kozykondition1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is tricky. The more you drink, the less efficient your body becomes using it as fuel. I always log one or two drinks. If I drink a few more, I log them and still stay within my calorie goals. If I have several more, I stop logging the alcohol and eat my calorie allotment. I'll sometimes backlog them the next day, but I'm not OCD enough to care. But if I leave them in there, I won't eat enough.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I drink almost every day and I did so while I was losing weight. I absolutely logged it -- you have to count the calories or it isn't going to work.

I imagine you're not seeing it in many diaries because many people prefer to eat food rather than have a drink. And that's understandable. But for me, having a glass of wine or a cocktail before dinner is a pleasure in life, a pleasure that I didn't really want to forgo. So I made room for it most days.

How does it make me feel? I guess I feel pretty neutral about it. At the very beginning it was a shock to see how quickly some types of alcohol added to my calorie count (and mixers too). I know the first time I measured out five ounces of wine, I was shocked to see how "little" it was (now it is second nature).

+1 on all of this. I usually wait till I get my kids in bed and I finally sit down for the evening and have one, sometimes two, glasses of wine almost every night.

It fits in my day. If I'm hungrier that day, I may have half a glass and some hummus but if you find a day in my diary without alcohol it's probably because I was ill that day...

Love the user name!

LOL thanks! It pretty much fits my two favorite indulgences...

Which reminds me. OP I almost always log my wine, or other treats like gelato, as snacks, regardless of when I consume them. I should change the name of that section of my diary but keeping it separate makes it easy for me to see if things are getting a little too heavy on the indulgences and outweighing some of my meals which should be more nutrient dense.

• GillianLF
    Options
    Nothing at all to be ashamed about!! I calculate it in my day. I love to socialize and love my beer and wine. I walk alot and/or exercise to 'earn' my drink!

Only here 6 days and already I'm learning how to work for it! So yeah I get that.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    log it!!!
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    www.GetDrunkNotFat.com

ALWAYS log. Everything. Religiously. I had a Skinnygirl Margarita with a kicker of patron and citronge a couple nights ago, and it was FANTASTIC. My go-to drink is gin on the rocks. It's the fastest way, calorie-wise, to get where you're going.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Does it have calories? Yes? Then add it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I drink almost every day and I did so while I was losing weight. I absolutely logged it -- you have to count the calories or it isn't going to work.

I imagine you're not seeing it in many diaries because many people prefer to eat food rather than have a drink. And that's understandable. But for me, having a glass of wine or a cocktail before dinner is a pleasure in life, a pleasure that I didn't really want to forgo. So I made room for it most days.

How does it make me feel? I guess I feel pretty neutral about it. At the very beginning it was a shock to see how quickly some types of alcohol added to my calorie count (and mixers too). I know the first time I measured out five ounces of wine, I was shocked to see how "little" it was (now it is second nature).

Me too. Most of the time it is one glass of wine in the evening except Mondays when I go out to a local sports bar for their trivia night, then I have two 16 oz light beers. Both get logged. My wine gets measured in a measuring cup and logged per ounce.

I went about a year only drinking on a rare occasion like holidays because I just did not want to spend the calories. Now I can usually work them in. If I can't, I don't drink. I have had several trivia nights with diet soda only.

The measuring was and is very important to me. I'm terrible at eyeballing. I use a measuring cup for every single glass.

The other night my husband was teasing me, saying I must surely be able to pour five ounces without help. So we tested it. I poured what looked like five ounces to me and then we measured it. It was seven ounces.

Two ounces might not seem like a big deal, but when you're having one or two glasses of wine a night? That adds up fast.

It also confirmed that nobody should ever hire me as a bartender!

I'm bad that way too. I think it is the shape of the wine glasses that makes it more difficult. Even many restaurants and bars (especially wine bars) have those little carafes that they use in order to measure out a standard pour. Too easy to pour out the profit or underpour and make the patron upset.

I ordered 8.5 oz wine glasses because it's much easier for me to accurately pour five ounces in a smaller glass than to try to pour 5 ounces in a 12 or 14 ounce glass. I was able to instantly spot the mistake a waitress made when I ordered a 9-oz glass. She brought me a 6-oz pour by mistake and all I had to do was look at it and I knew it wasn't right. I felt proud of my measuring skills then, lol.

To the OP, I always pre-log my glass of wine to make sure it fits. The only time I have had problems fitting drinks in is during football season. Luckily, I've never been a huge drinker, but I do enjoy the few I have.

LOL. My red wine glasses are 26 oz. My SIL is a level 2 sommelier so I tend to go with the fancier stuff under her influence.

• GillianLF
    Options
    I'm meeting a friend for drinks tonight which is what got me thinking about this. I guess I'll just drink mindfully!
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Of course...except when I drink too much.
    :o
    In such cases, I just log in all booze swilled to excess as "organic green tea with honey".
    It makes me feel more saintly!
    o:)
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Yes, I add it.

How does it make me feel? What do you mean? I'm not ashamed, if that's what you mean. I have no problem adding it.
    same here

• laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. If I drink it, I track it. I save calories when I know it's going to happen. I also know that beer makes me retain water and weigh more the next morning. Liquor usually doesn't.
    Pay attention when someone is serving you because a bartender's pour isn't usually a serving size. If I'm having a craft beer, I look for a comparable style at a bigger brewery - for a local pale ale, I'll use Sierra Nevada's calorie count. Also, I don't drink a lot . . . moderation keeps the calories down.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If I drink it? Yes. But my last drink was May 2013. Usually only a couple a year.
  • rebeccam279
    rebeccam279 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes my Friday night diaries often consist of Prosseco- 1bottle. :*
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If I drink it? Yes. But my last drink was May 2013. Usually only a couple a year.

And there I was thinking about a pina colada when I saw your username :smile:
  • dljones67
    dljones67 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log it. my husband and I like to go out on occasion and during the fall and winter we play darts on Thursdays so I have to budget in my liquor lol. I do drink less now that I'm logging. it was a shocker when I measured out an ounce and a half of liquor at how little it was cuz evidently i overpoured a lot. I've recently tried the 55 calorie beer, it's ok but I'm not much of a beer drinker. As far as how I feel I can say when I do go over my limit due to liquor I am embarrassed to log it, I do though. last Friday for instance I went over; 2,500 calories because of the liquor lol but I had fun & danced a lot so I know I burned some of that off and started back on track the next day.. Occasional mess ups I don't worry about. I'm on a mission to lose weight (down 28 lbs since May) but gonna enjoy life too.
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yes I drink and yes I log it. My wine is my dessert like others have said. I eat the way I plan to once I reach my goal. You will never take my wine or alcohol. I enjoy the taste far too much. Has it slowed down my weight loss? Maybe. Do I care though? Not really. I am in this for the long haul not some quick fix. If you like to drink just be conscious about it. Especially if you are a snacked, lucky for me I'm not so it doesn't hurt me as much as it may for some.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I don't drink very often for a variety of reasons, but when I do, I count the calories. Liquid calories add up fast; liquid calories which are also alcohol calories not only add up fast but can also impair your judgment and decision making (sure! I'll have the nachos!" "Hey! Dessert sounds great!"). I may go over my goal on calories (and sometimes choose to), but I'm honest with myself about it.