Need advice from passionate and driven individuals...

Options
jumpybeans
jumpybeans Posts: 71 Member
who at one time were not.

I'm stuck in a rut. A fitness rut. A life rut.

If anybody out there can give me some advice, some motivation, some tips to get the ball rolling and how to go about making things happen, I would really, REALLY appreciate it.

Thank you so much in advance for anyone who can take the time to listen!

Replies

• freeza12
    freeza12 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What do you want?

Start with that and work backwards.

People tend to want 'things' but don't commit to goals. You need to realise what you want, and then map out how to get there. This applies to everything - career, fitness, sex etc.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Pick one thing you want to change, set a realistic goal, develop a timeline and plan, and then execute it.

I'd start with the fitness rut first, as that's easier to change than "life" (which is kinda…everything).

Maybe it's to run a 5K, or take up rock climbing, or play hockey - you can do all or any of these, right now.

My first marriage imploded when I was 34 and my social circle was decimated. I had always wanted to play hockey, but there were no girls' leagues when I was a child. I can tell you're in Toronto from your profile pic - True North runs an adult beginner's program - out of Rinx by Yorkdale or Powerade in Brampton. I signed up and instantly had a new circle of friends I'd see at least once a week And then it was twice because one of the girls set up a weekly shinny so we could practice. Then I started playing on a second team, and before you knew it - I was at hockey with friends 3-4x a week, eventually met a guy at shinny, fell in love and got remarried.

Whether your change will be fitness, education, a new job, moving to another city, whatever - only YOU can make that first step to take control of your life instead of being a passenger. You can do it; just DO IT.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Understand what you are trying to do, learn how to get there and then break it into small manageable parts. One day one week 1lb etc. Build on it.
  • khenrickson65
    khenrickson65 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My favorite quote: Without struggle, there is no progress.

Just remember, the easy way is never a satisfying way. Accomplishing a hard goal is where you walk away feeling like a million bucks.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    My favorite quote

Nothing changes
    I change
    Everything changes

I found this to be very true. I was stuck for a very long time. Then I started going outside of my comfort zone and trying some things. I started with having to change my own thinking about life. Focusing on tiny positives instead of the overwhelming negatives in my world. The more I focused on positive things the more positive things came to me. Then I took up a martial art called aikido.... and everything changed. :)

Don't expect to change everything at once. Pick one thing to work on and work on that. Does not matter which thing you pick. Once you start getting that handled you can start to add in more things.