what would you tell yourself....

Options
So here I go again...starting out again! What tips would you give yourself if you were starting over?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I'd ask myself why I have to start over. What did I do the first time that made it unsustainable? Was I too agressive? Too restrictive? Did I choose an exercise I hated? Did I fail to manage stress or get enough sleep? Then I'd change my plan based on the answer I gave.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    The tip I have given myself is just 'get on with it'.....off you go nik nak and very good luck :)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Reassess what went wrong last time and take steps prevent that. If you go about things in the same way, you'll likely end up with the same results.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I only gained weight because I was depressed when my mother died
    I couldn't get it together to prep and cook my usual food and relied on convenience foods and sweets which are all calorie dense even in small amounts. I didn't gain much before I got a grip but I'd tell myself that I would feel much better eating the good stuff and that my mum wouldn't be happy with me eating rubbish.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Think about what you did right last time and build on that.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Think about the areas of your life where you have been successful and how you can bring the qualities that got you there (could be dedication, organizational skills, compassion, patience, analytical thinking, or whatever helped) into your weight loss strategy. Work from your strengths, and you'll find it much easier.
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Remember as life goes on your goals change, your schedule changes, the people in your life may even change. Anytime something major changes in my life I stress and eat. For example, I moved to a different country, went from always working to not working and back to working, and I have had to remind myself to keep grounded during these times.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    nik_nak_83 wrote: »
    So here I go again...starting out again! What tips would you give yourself if you were starting over?

Things that have worked really well-
    Setting a reasonable goal and just eating the calories MFP gave me.
    Eating the same food I always did just appropriate portions
    Pre-logging my whole day
    Drinking mostly water or unsweetened tea
    I can fit in 30 minutes of exercise into my day pretty easily.

Things I should have done in the beginning-
    Take at least one rest day from exercise each week.
  • jenmckane86
    jenmckane86 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I would tell myself that it's not going to kill me to be a little hungry from time to time!
  • pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    my tip: remember why you gave up in the first place and try to overcome that again. Also, not to be discouraged if you don't see any changes for a month at a time. Just keep with the healthy eating + deficit (and exercise if doing so) and you will eventually see the changes.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well I don't have to start over and hopefully won't... But I'd just ask myself if I'm 100% committed to a lifestyle change, and ready not to eat the same way ever again.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    log it all...even if you go over calories for the day....face it and move on....just because you don't record it doesn't mean you didn't eat it. Learn to allow some treats. Exercise more.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I would tell myself that cold weather isn't a good enough reason not to ride a bicycle.
  • enkiemonkey
    enkiemonkey Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I would throw on my sneakers. Go for a long walk. Feel good about the walk. And think about how good it will feel every day to get moving.
  • MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would forgive myself for getting off track and remind myself that this is a lifelong process (loss and maintenance), and not a one-and-done deal, so there really is no ending and starting over.
  • lindseyreid1125
    lindseyreid1125 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would tell myself that it's miserable skipping out on my favorite foods, feeling hungry, forcing my body to exercise when it doesn't want to, and feeling unsure of the future, BUT it will all be worth it when you discover newfound confidence in yourself, a healthier you, being able to fit in the clothes you once dreaded, and feeling stronger than ever!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,157 Member
    Options
    I would tell myself ...

"Start sooner ... because it's not nearly as difficult as you imagined it would be. :) "
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'd tell myself to not think it will always come off as fast as it does at first. The rest of it was stuff I had to figure out in order to learn.
  • nik_nak_83
    nik_nak_83 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Great responses and I am motivated to match my 24lb loss last time round! Lets go!