Fitness Routine

Options
Hello there!

I'm starting to do exercises on a regular basis but despite all that I'm doing, I hope that I'll be able to come up with a fitness routine that I'll be able to stick to. It gets really messed whenever I can't decide what are the exercises I should do. My ultimate goals are to lose weight and tone my muscles.

Anyone has tips on how to create my own fitness routine?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Why create your own when there are so many available free on the web?
    As I have no idea of what your goals and stats are, all I can advise is do a search and try a few already established exercise routines. Once you have found something you like use it/them as your routines.

Cheers, h.
  • jnxche
    jnxche Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch Hi H, yes there are many routines available on the web but I'm not sure those are the correct ones that I should follow in order to reach my goals. Are there any in particular that you recommend for weight loss?
  • xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I think you can make them on bodybuilding.com

I would recommend lots of squats and lunges, and get into weight lifting if you can.
  • jackoswacko
    jackoswacko Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been doing ddp yoga seriously for a month now and can already see muscle definition. There are loads of dvds etc online for free to see if you like something.

I think what H was saying though is that you just need to find a workout that you like that has modifications to make it easier at first, and that will keep you interested and do that. It's all about making any workout your own, not just saying this is what you need to do and if you can't then you're a failure.

Just think about your interests and try to find a workout that incorporates them and you can start from there.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    If you are wanting weight loss, you must eat less than you burn. Make sure you have a reasonable deficit set on MFP and weigh, measure, and eat everything. You need to eat to fuel your body while you exercise.

Exercise is for health.
    Cardio will help burn calories a little faster, be beneficial for your heart and lungs, but is less effective building, or retaining, muscle, and re shaping the body.
    Resistance training, this can be body weight, hand weights, or barbell, will help your bones and muscles, and assist in re shaping your body.

A mix of both would probably suit you. Look for a Zumba or dance class, if walking is your thing there are a number of videos that you can follow at home.

I don't follow any on line videos so I can't recommend any in particular, sorry. I do nerdfitness.com for resistance training and enjoy that, but it is just a routine I do, not a video to follow along with.

I think you might do well to just pick a couple of programmes, follow them for 3 months, then either change them up, or build your own using what you have learnt following a structured programme.

Cheers, h.
  • jenmckane86
    jenmckane86 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »
    I think you can make them on bodybuilding.com

I would recommend lots of squats and lunges, and get into weight lifting if you can.

I agree with this. Bodybuilding.com has their own app called bodyspace. You can search for workout plans with the app and they tell you exactly what to do- and show you pictures if you are unsure. You can find single workouts all the way up to 12 week plans all based around your goals.Very useful app.

Another app that I think is good is Nike Training Club. It takes up a lot of space as your phone, but it has some great workouts. Plug in your goal and it will give you several different workouts to choose from and follow along with.