Getting frustrated with falling off the wagon!

Options
How do fit people keep the motivation? I will eat right and go to the gym, then fall off all the time! I'm better at working out than watching what I eat. I have done so many 5K's and 2 half marathons so I'm motivated enough for that but I fall off with my training in between which doesn't better my runs and I'm even worse with what I eat. I always start off good on this app in the morning and by 5 I'm eating everything in sight! Any tips on how you guys stay motivated for the gym and calorie counting?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I'm actually just hopping back on after a week break. The hard part is making healthy eating and exercise the normal. So we may go on vacation or have a big celebration but then we must get back to "normal". Set your gym schedule and plan your meals and make that your normal habit. Marathon training is a bit over normal for most and pretty difficult to sustain but 5k training should be sustainable.
  • Amanda_Tate28
    Amanda_Tate28 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I agree with @lizzy622 but also I think having supportive and active friends here on MFP has been huge for me. I come back everyday to read statuses and see everyone's progress.
  • madcat444
    madcat444 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Getting back into the mindset is my main focus - if you're not 100% there it's not going to work (for me anyway)
    Fall off the wagon mostly for vacation and getting back on it takes a little while as I lack a few % from that elusive 100!
    For me exercise and healthy eating go hand in hand...if I do one I tend to do both - let one slip and the other one follows suit unfortunately.
    Keeping motivated for me involves making sure I know what I'm going to be eating so as to avoid temptation and, because I love to travel, the goal of getting fit/healthy/down to a certain weight for vacation helps.
    Ever hopeful I get to the maintenance phase - it will happen one day I'm sure! :p
  • boricua3177
    boricua3177 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I totally understand falling off the wagon. I am one of those people that once I get started, I can't stop. If I stop, I fall off the wagon too. So even on vacation, I still log what I eat & I make sure to stay in a hotel that has a fitness center. That way I can get at least 30 minutes on the treadmill in the morning & can go about my day. As long as I am doing "something" each day, I don't fall off the wagon. So even if you are eating terribly, just log it into MFP anyways. That way you are still in the habit.
  • tiffany280
    tiffany280 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I know it's in me to do it. I just have to be consistent with it.
  • zorahgail
    zorahgail Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that sooo many times!

Like @madcat444, I have to get my mind right or else I'll have a few good days then fall off again. Then, after that I focus on teeny tiny goals; I want them to be so small there's no way I can fail. That way I build consistency and success at the same time, which keeps my motivation high.

Keep at it and you can totally do it @tiffany280!
  • tiffany280
    tiffany280 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thanks zorahgail!! I think you are so right, small goals are better! Big ones seem so hard to get to. I will def try that!