healthy chicken alfredo?

Options
Hello all! I'm new to this whole eating healthy lifestyle, and man do I have a long way to go! Baby steps though right? Do any of you know a healthy way to make chicken alfredo?? I've been craving it for a while I just don't know the healthy way to make it! Thanks for any feedback! :-)

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Healthier as in less saturated fat (maybe)?

I just use a lighter (jarred) alfredo sauce, add grilled chicken breast and steamed broccoli. I serve over regular linguini, but they sell higher fiber noodles too.

I've been meaning to try a cottage cheese, parmesan cheese recipe.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Someone had posted about a calorie free alfredo sauce from Walden Farm. There isn't any actual dairy in it, it's just flavor extracts and spices. Out of curiosity I got one and it was the most horrendous thing I have ever eaten, aside from Sugar Free Haribo Gold Bears.
    If I am craving alfredo, I will make a small batch of sauce from scratch and eat it with grilled chicken and zuchinni noodles. And I put extra garlic and black pepper in the sauce so a little goes a long way.

You will find that you can still have the things you enjoy, just in smaller portions. Feel free to friend me.

Good luck on your journey!
  • ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've used cauliflower to make a creamy "alfredo-style" sauce and it was actually delicious! You could swap out the white pasta for whole wheat pasta, zucchini noodles, or spaghetti squash.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    and this is a bit different but I made it and it's so nice and light for summer. I didn't need to add any pasta water.
    http://www.cookingclassy.com/2015/03/lemon-ricotta-parmesan-pasta-with-spinach-grilled-chicken/
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I just eat less of it and savor each bite. :o
  • ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    staceypunk wrote: »
    and this is a bit different but I made it and it's so nice and light for summer. I didn't need to add any pasta water.
    http://www.cookingclassy.com/2015/03/lemon-ricotta-parmesan-pasta-with-spinach-grilled-chicken/

That looks delicious!! I just pinned it to make next week.. thanks for sharing :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Alfredo has 2 ingredients, so kinda hard to make it healthier.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

I just use a lighter (jarred) alfredo sauce, add grilled chicken breast and steamed broccoli. I serve over regular linguini, but they sell higher fiber noodles too.

Link me!

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I've used cauliflower to make a creamy "alfredo-style" sauce and it was actually delicious! You could swap out the white pasta for whole wheat pasta, zucchini noodles, or spaghetti squash.

I do that too. Add chicken into cauli-fredo sauce and you're done!
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    BekahC1980 wrote: »
    I just eat less of it and savor each bite. :o

I'm open to trying the cottage cheese recipe, but this ^ is probably what I'd do for alfredo if it were a comfort food that just didn't taste right tweaked.

I reduced calories around other pasta meals by cutting out the wine, bread, and butter, having less pasta, and kept satiety the same by having more veggies and protein, generally chicken breast.

• aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    White beans blended with a little bit of lemon juice, a whole bulb of roasted garlic and some salt/pepper and herbs is a great subsititute. High carbs but good protein and low fat. Zucchini noodles are nice with it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »

Link me!

I've not tried this........

Low-Cal Alfredo Sauce

1 cup milk
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1 tablespoon Cornstarch
    1/4 teaspoon Salt
    1/8 teaspoon Pepper
    1/4 teaspoon Garlic powder*
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Place ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Pour mixture into a skillet and cook over medium heat until heated through and smooth, stirring occasionally.

*I don't like garlic powder (metal taste to me) so I would likely use the real deal.

Makes 4 servings
    Calories: 123
    Carbs: 6g
    Fat: 7g
    Protein: 12g
    (Nutrition info calculated using 2% milk and 2% cottage cheese)
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I've tried lightening up an Alfredo sauce in the past (milk and a little flour instead of cream, less butter etc.) but it was still fairly high calorie and not delicious... at all. These days I just make a normal Alfredo sauce and use it with chicken and broccoli instead of pasta.

It's not the same without the pasta but it's still really good and the calories are reasonable enough for an everyday dinner.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Just use less heavy cream. Taking too many shortcuts will leave you with a crappy meal that no one likes.

You have to stay semi-true to tradition if you want the best of both worlds. This version is lower calorie than anything you would get at Olive Garden or any restaurant, really...

Fettuccine Alfredo

• 5 ounces real, grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for sprinkling
    • 2 tablespoons heavy cream
    • 1 large egg
    • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
    • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
    • 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest (optional)
    • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 12 ounces dried fettuccine (or 1 lb. if using fresh)
    • 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 1 medium clove)
    • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    • Minced fresh parsley and/or chives
    1. Combine cheese, heavy cream, egg, cornstarch, olive oil, and lemon zest (if using) in a large bowl. Season lightly with salt and heavily with black pepper and whisk to combine. Set aside.
    2. In a large pot, bring 2 quarts of water and 2 tablespoons of salt to a boil over high heat. Add pasta and cook, stirring frequently to prevent sticking, until cooked but still very firm (not quite al dente), about 1 minute less than package directions for dried pasta. Drain pasta into a colander set over a large bowl. Transfer 2 cups of cooking water to a liquid measuring cup and discard the rest. Transfer pasta to the now-empty bowl. Add the garlic and butter and toss to coat.
    3. Whisking constantly, slowly add 1-1/2 cups of the pasta cooking water to the bowl with the cheese mixture. Transfer the cheese mixture to the now-empty pasta cooking pot, scraping the bottom to make sure you get everything. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, about 45 seconds. Season sauce to taste with more salt and pepper as desired. Transfer pasta to sauce mixture and turn to coat. Just before serving, stir in more pasta water to thin the sauce out as necessary. Serve immediately, sprinkled with minced parsley and/or chives, cracked black pepper, parmesan cheese, and drizzled with additional olive oil if desired.

The chicken aspect of the recipe is added after it is marinated, grilled, and sliced.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The best alfredos aren't the healthier kinds, lol.

Skinnytaste has an Alfredo recipe. I haven't tried it, but it's in the book and maybe on the website.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I made a decent "Alfredo" from evaporated milk, cornstarch, and grated parmesan/romano/asiago (whatever I've got). Heat the milk, and add cheese until tasty, and stir in cornstarch that's been mixed with part of the milk. Not sure if Fredo would approve, but its loads less calories than the traditional cream, eggs and butter version.
  • emilyobrien73
    emilyobrien73 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your tips! I'm going to give it a go tonight and see what I come up with! Thank you!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is a chicken carbonara but it is very, very good. I didn't use heavy cream; I used Greek Yogurt instead.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463846253545/