Newbie Vegan

I am 68 yrs old and have been a 'part time' vegetarian for 5 years, only eating meat/fish when i am visiting family, eating veggie when i am at home. 3 months ago i decided to go vegan and have gradually been removing dairy and meat from my diet, I am loving the meals i am finding on the various vegan sites, however i have a bit of a problem with thinking up interesting low fat breakfasts, i really am not too keen on cereals or smoothies all the time, i love a cooked breakfast but quite a few of the recipes i have seen are quite high in calories from nuts and olive oil, I am hoping keeping to a low fat vegan diet i will be able to shed the 80 + lb i am carrying. any ideas or favorite low fat recipes would be welcome. :)

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Part time vegetarian... right...
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    I used to like to make breakfast burritos in the winter. I usually make the filling ahead of time, with scrambled tofu, red and yellow peppers, black beans, tomatoes and chili powder, then heat it up and wrap it in a whole wheat tortilla. Sometimes I add some avocado right before I wrap it.

You can also do hot grains other than oats, like wheat berries, pearled barley, or quinoa (not technically a grain but you can use it like one)

I am vegan and my diary is open to friends if you want to add me, though I am not really a cooked breakfast person anymore. My diet isn't low fat, but a lot of my recipes are and I just add nuts or avocado at the end.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Scrambled Tofu was very popular when I used to go to the Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health. To reduce the fat, use a non-stick pan and way less oil.

http://kripalu.org/article/170
  • Mindfullyjo
    Mindfullyjo Posts: 40 Member
    When I was a kid my favourite breakfast was corn on the cob, which in UK is only good and sweet for a couple of months in the year. Just boiled 10 mins with a spot of olive oil... :smile:
  • Mindfullyjo
    Another old favourite for breakfast is fruit salad and organic oatcake
  • Mindfullyjo
    or cooked porridge oats with a few ground almonds or almond milk and a few raspberries or unsweetened apple puree :smile:
  • heatherduross
    heatherduross Posts: 7 Member
    Congrats on becoming vegan :)

Cook without oil! Really good/ easy way to reduce fat and more importantly cut calories in your diet.

I agree with scrambled tofu for breakfast, it's easy and good. You could pick up some chickpea flour and experiment with chickpea flour omelettes/pancakes etc.

My favourite breakfast is peanut butter on a banana, not nexessarily low in fat but when measured out its about 200 calories and is usually good enough for me until lunchtime
  • shiva108
    shiva108 Posts: 3 Member
    Congrats. I found Dr Furhman book. "Eat to Live and Eat for Health very helpful. Both have a lot of information. Good Luck and Best Wishes
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    My go to breakfast is either oatmeal with almond milk or whole wheat pancakes.
  • KnitSewSpin
    KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
    Cooked oats, muesli and granola.